Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Maida- Italy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What was the effect on the French command?
    I don’t see it mentioned in any reports or anecdotes- or did King Joseph hide it well?

The more I read N. orders and missives, the more I am suspicious of his motives- he seemed to love to break apart units and go hunt things…
    -d

Participant

It may have been a big deal to the tiny British army but it was a tiny skirmish to the French empire. Why would Napoleon pay any attention to that?

Participant

It may have been a big deal to the tiny British army but it was a tiny skirmish to the French empire. Why would Napoleon pay any attention to that?

I agree Chris, which is why when the reference came up, I had a think.
    Much of what passed in ‘Italy’ (as we know it) has been overlooked in practical gaming. I know from my own references and histories there was a major struggle between the French occupation and local resistence. Much as we see today, with the same power imbalance.

The blasé ‘takeover’ expressed by much English source material is consistent with the lack of other foreign language/ nations repetoire of knowledge.

Yet many of N. officers fought long and hard in Italy long before Spanish guerillas ever became the issue. Reading between the lines, despite being noted as from Italian descent; the Corsican did it appears, take punitive action against much of the resistence areas in Italy.

He had seen the brutal side of human society when young in Corsica, in many of his early campaigns and particularly Egypt/ Syria against the vastly exotic practices of ‘ancient’ warrior classes and ideology.

-d

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.