Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Making bare winter trees

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Per Broden
    Participant

I was tinkering with some ideas on doing bare trees (as opposed to pine trees with snow on top) for winter terrain and found some unexpected help from China. This may be of some interest for anyone needing to do winter terrain.
    https://rollaone.com/2017/02/05/double-joy-at-six-tiger-lillies-bare-winter-trees-and-headswaps/

All the best / Per

Rhoderic
    Participant

I’ve been pondering this sort of thing a lot. I’d like to somehow represent that “haze” of twigs on a still-living tree that has only shed its leaves for either winter or the dry season (depending on climate), as opposed to being a dead tree that has lost all its twigs along with the foliage. I’ll probably never figure out how to do it in a way that doesn’t compromise wargaming practicality, but it’s something of a “holy grail” for me to quest for, which is fun in itself.

Anyway, you’ve managed it better than I have so far. Good to hear those Chinese terrain products on eBay ship quickly.

malc johnston
    Participant

That is a must for me when Summer comes is making winter boards trees ect…

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

6mmwargaming
    Participant

In 6mm scale Bruce Weigle (who makes the fabulous 1870 boards) uses steel wool for the branches on his trees. I’m sure you could try gluing clumps of that onto you tree armatures to enhance them

willz
    Participant

An excellent tutorial, thanks for sharing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.