Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Making own MOD PODGE

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I am looking to seal a bunch of terrain, and I refuse to buy Mod Podge for the same reason I didn’t buy ‘Snappy Nappy’.

Thinned down as just a sealant I have seen a few different recipes for home made – do my dear friends on here have any personal opinions as to which is best? I have all the ingredients for the PVA/VARNISH/FLOW ENHANCER/WATER version but am worried it might yellow.

Participant

I use rattle can mat varnish from Winsor and Newton the art people from their professional range. It is very matting, which can dull some figures, but seems to help terrain. I am only mentioning this product because it is artist quality with UV protection. Needs to be used outdoors or in a well ventilated space which is the only downside.

Participant

This probably doesn’t help, but…

I’ve never the stuff that you mention, but the impression that I have from my wife’s use of it in scrap-booking and paper-craft is that it is more or less the same thing as my acrylic artist’s matte varnish or matte medium.  If you are worried about yellowing, I would suggest the artist’s materials, as I’ve used them since the late 1980s, and haven’t noticed any particular yellowing of anything that I’ve used them on.  While they can be pricy (I buy it by the gallon), my experience has been that they are still less expensive than the stuff she bought for paper-crafting.

Also, the rattle can that Norm mentions is excellent for figs.

Participant

I’m with the Winsor and Newton varnish supporters. I tend to use the professional stuff for figures and the less expensive general purpose stuff for terrain/buildings. I have used PVA thinned with water to seal/reinforce dirt on bases. Because it’s on dirt, and mostly soaked in, I have no idea if it yellows.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

Thanks all, it’s for about 30 feet of road so I don’t want to waste good rattlecan varnish when there are simpler/cheaper alternatives. Hell, I will make some up and try it out, and come back to you all in a few years if it goes yellow 🙂

Keymaster

Thanks all, it’s for about 30 feet of road so I don’t want to waste good rattlecan varnish when there are simpler/cheaper alternatives. Hell, I will make some up and try it out, and come back to you all in a few years if it goes yellow 🙂

Outlook appointment is set..

Participant

well, made it and slapped it on. I am impressed by how fast it dries, and it does seem very mod-podgy in its undiluted state….. this may be a new favourite home made thing! Lockdown has had me doing more home-made things – I made my own flock last week, and was appalled, genuinely APPALLED at how bloody easy it was to get the exact shade I wanted! I made some hedges out of vulcanised Horse Hair I have had for years, and was disgusted that I had not done it before, much much nicer than hacked-up pan scourers

my next plan is some more trees. I HAVE been a busy little fellow, since I have two hours a day of extra hobby-time thanks to working from home.

Participant

Would you share the recipe you used?

Participant

sorry, missed your reply

to a large jar –

half a pint of INTERIOR VARNISH – water washable brush-cleaning is the clue. the brand i used does what it says on the tin 🙂

Half a pint of Good quality PVA glue

A few ounces of dshwash detergent. If it going very, very faintly green is an issue for you, you can use flow enhancer instead but for my purposes it’s not an issue

stir very well. don’t shake it, or you wont be able to get the lid off a week later 🙂

That makes the thick version that works a bit like mod-podge.

To make sealant, just add water until you are happy with the consistency.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.