Home Forums General Books and Magazines Manga to inspire wargaming

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Here is a list if seven manga I read which have helped kwep my wargaming mojo.

https://phdleadhead.blogspot.com/2019/09/manga-to-inspire-your-war-gaming.html?m=1

Thanks for the tips, I hadn’t heard of most of those. I did read another manga by Yasuhiko a long while back: “Joan”, set in the late Hundred Years’ War (but after Joan of Arc’s death). IIRC it was decent. Drier than most manga but with a nice visual style (it was in colour, even, which of course is very uncommon for manga).

Thanks for the list. I’ve never heard of those except Zipang.
    Gunka no Baltzar, Historie no Heureka and Shoukoku no Altair looks interesting.

For my own I’ve been pondering
    Youjo Seki
    Alternate history that mirrors WWII with magic. An atheist gets reincarnated into the body of a girl and fight for the Germans. I really liked its take on bad buys (the main character is evil) as the protagonist.

Arusuran Senki (Heroic Legend of Arslan)
    I think there’s a manga but it’s based on a novel. I saw the orginal and new anime.
    Persian based, strategy and big battles.

Gun Parade March
    School life manga about a platoon of mech pilots fighting aliens. Not much on tactics but a lot of roleplay inspiration.

Strike Witches
    Flying magical girls analogous to WWII fighter aces fighting aliens.

Upotte!
    Girls with guns, different school compete with each other, very easy to game. It’s my goal to do this using something like necromunda. Downside is school girls are hard to find in miniatures.

Finally
    Girls und Panzer
    This is the ultimate inspiration for me, it’s a simple girls driving takes in combat competition. Translate very well to wargames. Having different WWII tanks to choose from gives it more variety than Upotte!

I have read Joan and liked it quite a bit. Same author has done a couple of historical persons manga, including Nero, Christ and Budda.

Youjo Senki is an absolute treat. Very good writing, but less inspiring for mass battles. Still a must read.

Arslan Senki is from the same author as Legend of Galactic Hereos (the masterpiece for me of military/political anime/manga/ novels). It meets many of the points I made with what I like, but it fell flat to me. Here is what I wrote on anime blog Star Crossed Anime on Arslan vs. Altair

http://psgels.net/2017/12/29/two-tales-war-reviewing-heroic-legend-arslan-altair-record-battles/

Gods, you’re both making me feel acutely guilty I’ve been away from manga for a long time

I’m aware of most of the titles Thomaston listed, but only by hearsay. I really must begin partaking again.

Participant

Any of these available online, or do you have to buy the hard copies?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Youjo Seki, you can search for other series, they should have Upotte and Girls und Panzer too.
    https://manganelo.com/manga/youjo_senki

@Konstanti
    I didn’t know Arsland senki was by the same author as LoGH, that series is a must see.

There’s also Starship Operators
    I haven’t been able to find the manga but the anime as some plasuible space tactics.
    Another series similar to LoGH was Crest of the Stars, again not sure if it has a manga series.

Well let us say you can find them i you look.

I only focused on non-sci-fi shows. Sci fi there is a lot. The Gundam stuff by Ark Performance are exceptional. Both MSV-R: Johnny Ridden no Kikan and especially The Plot to Assassinate Gihren. A must read.

By the way I watched the Youjo Senki anime. Not read the manga, as the art style was too much not of my liking.

No manga for Starship Operators. A unique series everybody into hard sci-fi should see. But shows how probably real space combat is simply not a fun war-game, and would go as far to say does not make sense as something to do (ok war is generally a foolish thing to me, but space war is just out there on that level)

Another one is Red Prowling Devil. Modern mercenary air combat kind of manga.
    Don’t know if it’s available online, I had all the books but I think it will remain incomplete.

Participant

But shows how probably real space combat is simply not a fun war-game

I have played a couple of very realistic space war games, and totally not fun to me (also I’m not into number crunching…)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.