Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Mayhem on sale today for three bucks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Wouldn’t you know it? 24 hours after I buy it on Wargames Vault, Mayhem goes on sale at a 70% discount.

Damn!

Anyhow, this is a great little rule set for fantasy minis. The editing of the rules isn’t very tight, but the system is quite simple, flexible, and interesting. It is DEFINITELY worth three dollars and I suggest that anyone interested in fantasy mass battles pick it up while they can at this price! (Hell, it’s worth the ten you’d normally pay.)

https://www.wargamevault.com/m/product/110359

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Mr. Average
    Participant

It has a lot to recommend it. It’s pretty slick as a system and I can see playing it with such props as metal coins, castles, etc. to fight inter-state wars in a fantasy milieu. I’m super into its potential for 3mm scale. Even if you just like to read a good set or rules for fun, it’s worth a couple of bucks to have on hand.

ian pillay
    Participant

Just purchased this. Seems like a bargain £2.79!

Tally-Ho!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Like Thaddeus has said elsewhere, it’s not the best-edited book but the rules are super tight and have a lot of potential. They expand well for multiple armies so you could easily get a group of friends as “bannermen” and fight multi-general battles. And the rules for Strongholds are wonderful – I’m reminded of an old Dragon Magazine article about making players raise armies to capture a keep when they reach the level that they can demand a fief from their liege lord. I’ve finally got a gaming table set up so this is a real possibility for me! The potential as a mass battle supplement for an RPG campaign based around large scale warfare is quite high.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Incidentally, I’m already thinking up a quick list of “upkeep” costs for keeping an army in the field on campaign. One has in mind game props like these:

https://thebrokentoken.com/shop/game-components/metal-coins

My only gripe with it so far is that the points level they suggest for the campaign game seems very small. 250 points? Hell, an elf infantry unit costs, like, 32!

I wonder how it will play with 5000 points on the table?

Mr. Average
    Participant

I’m the same way. I think simply expanding the size of command units from 3 to 5 would be a start. And standing orders will be a much bigger issue for bigger forces.

By command units, you mean the number of units that can be given an advance order?

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yes.  Another idea is to have a Supreme Commander who’s your liege lord, who can give commands to your generals.

Check out my thoughts on the ‘Geek, if you haven’t already.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.