Home Forums Terrain and Scenery MDF buildings

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

I was looking at Noels TOPIC and it struck me that he seems to use a lot of his laser cut buildings as starting blocks.
    In that he adds and modifies them to get them to a state he prefers.

Do you use laser cut buildings, if so do you use them as they come or do you add to them, maybe hiding the joints, adding details etc?

Participant

I do. 

Participant

Me too. Starting with the church and admin building I received as Xmas gifts.  They work very well for that. I have some other examples.

Participant

Yes, a lot. The joins normally don’t need hiding I’ve found. Adding details though is a must, even 4Ground’s pre-painted things benefit from a bit of weathering.

Participant

This reminds me that I have 18 MDF building sections from a Kickstarter a couple of years ago. I have never painted them so they are packed up in a box somewhere. Shame.

How come Thuseld, the above reasons about needing to do work on them?

Participant

Mike: I had some of my terrain out and remembered your question.  Here is 4Ground’s Cartshed turned into a cantina:

Participant

While they are a bit cheaper, it just looks like a lot of work to get them to look the way I would want them too.

Participant

Could be more work, depending. I had fun. I had these given to me at one time or another and never used them. Then when I wanted to get into the Spanish Civil War, I needed buildings.  So it was modify or buy.  I chose the cheaper avenue.   It is always a choice between ‘time’ and ‘money’.  Which are you going to spend?  What a choice.   *sigh*

Participant

I use some MDF buildings and scenery props in the D&D game I run as they add to the whole experience for the kids. I get them from fleabay and I think they are designated Malefix?

The last one I used was a scaffold complete with a hangman’s noose with Santa in it. The party of adventurers needed to rescue him after infiltrating the crowd etc. It makes the game easier and saves on characters teleporting as their figure is quite evident in its position.

I do minimal work on the buildings, typically a simple paint job.

Participant

Many of them don’t require a lot of rework if you want something different. I like the way the wood takes ‘staining’ and still keeping the details, particularly brick and stone.  in any rate, they can be ‘tweaked’ to fit different periods and genres.

Keymaster

Mike: I had some of my terrain out and remembered your question.  Here is 4Ground’s Cartshed turned into a cantina:

That is a nice ‘conversion’ if that is the right word.

Participant

I sadly do not own any, as I have loads of buildings in lots of different materials.  However if I was just starting out in this hobby MDF pre- painted would be the way I would be heading.  I think the choice of scales and type of building is astonishing, the world is your lobster when it comes to MDF.

Participant

Where do you guys buy your MDF buildings from? Any particular favourite makes?

I use 25mm scale D&D figures with a few 28mm interlopers!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.