Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Mecha: Chicken walkers, or regular?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

How do you prefer your mechas locomotion aesthetics: chicken walker/digitigrade legs or regular human bipedal type?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Chicken…just looks more feasible.

Rhoderic
    Participant

I’m all about flitting between different settings with different apriorisms and aesthetics, so I’d rather not choose. That said, various anime/manga/Japanese-video-game settings (or settings inspired by the same) with mainly humanoid mechs have a special place in my heart.

I’m assuming mechs with more than two legs are of no interest in the context of the question being asked. Otherwise, they’re just as cool, too.

greg954
    Participant

Um, I’m fussy when it comes to aesthetics of my mechs. I view aesthetics as an over all package not just based on locomotives. I don’t really go for the Battletech stuff much, I prefer mechs which look like war machines and not some giant robot from Lost In Space. So I suppose more chicken/digitigrade rather than human bipedal type? I think….

greg954
    Participant

I’m assuming mechs with more than two legs are of no interest in the context of the question being asked. Otherwise, they’re just as cool, too.

Well, isn’t a digitigrade an animal which walks on its toes? Which means aren’t dogs digitigrade? So I read the question as mechs with two or more.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

I love mecha in most of it’s forms, but anime has made me favor the bipedal humanoid configuration ever so slightly (even if the BT Marauder/Macross Glaug officer´s battle pod is a thing of chicken-legged beauty!)

Rhoderic
    Participant

I don’t really go for the Battletech stuff much, I prefer mechs which look like war machines and not some giant robot from Lost In Space. So I suppose more chicken/digitigrade rather than human bipedal type? I think….

Funnily I tend to associate Battletech mainly with chicken walkers. Maybe that’s because most of the humanoid mechs in that setting look so horrendously designed to me that I don’t pay them much attention.

Well, isn’t a digitigrade an animal which walks on its toes? Which means aren’t dogs digitigrade? So I read the question as mechs with two or more.

I just assume a context of bipedal mechs because of the specific mention of chicken walkers.

Thorsten Frank
    Participant

Chicks all the way. Same reason as Greg, looks more menacing. But depends on the gaming background/universe.
    Thinking about doing a game in 80´ s Revell Robotech:Defenders/Dougram style.

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

irishserb
    Participant

Doesn’t have to be any specific design or geometry.  I prefer them to look like they were engineered to fulfill a military requirement, and with consideration for this thing called “physics”.  The geometry and intended motion of the legs should be pragmatic and consistent with the purpose of the machine.  My biggest issue with appearance of stompy things, is that most look like they were designed to fail, like most Victorian era flying machines.

Mr. Average
    Participant

In the words of Homer Simpson, “Why can’t it be both, like the late Earl Warren?”

Coyotepunc
    Participant

Definitely chicken walkers.

Definitely.

Please visit my OSR products for sale at
    www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Logain
    Participant

Chicken leg preferred, but both are good.  Do you have some in the work???

Thomaston
    Participant

I prefer digitigrade, it looks better to me. Digitigrade also has natural spring in the design and probably makes more sense for fast/efficient designs. The hip, knee and ankle joints also looks like it has equal range of motion.
    Unguligrade (hooves/toe) looks like the range of motion is greatest at the ankle joint, makes the mech more prone to wear and tear. It looks like it should be fastest though.
    Plantigrade (humans) looks like it’ll be the more stable platform, but its not sexy.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I too am more of a fan of the non-plantigrade designs!  It’s just something in that leg design that looks like it works better.

My biggest issue with appearance of stompy things, is that most look like they were designed to fail, like most Victorian era flying machines.

Indeed, my thoughts too.  I think one of the biggest things is the feet.  The vast majority of designers do not understand a thing about physics and ground pressure and put tiny little feet or contact points on these huge mechs.  Darn things would bury themselves up to their knees when they tried to walk. But, in the miniatures world there is a HUGE argument for “the rule of cool looking”, so maybe it don’t matter so much…

Do you have some in the work???

Ya, working on the 15mm versions of the DS 6mm walkers, as well as another project in 28m/1:48 scale for conventions similar to the huge pirate game we do.  Just got me wondering other peoples thoughts.

Rhoderic
    Participant

DSG, was the question about humanoid mechs with plantigrade legs vs von-humanoid mechs with digitigrade legs, or about non-humanoid mechs in both cases?

I agree that non-humanoid mechs with plantigrade legs can look a bit derpy. Sometimes that’s a good thing; sometimes the premise of a setting encourages a certain derpy quality to the mechanical designs and succeeds in turning that into a positive, making the setting more interesting. But in the more standard case, assuming non-humanoid mechs only, digitigrade (and unguligrade) legs win out in plain, obvious coolness.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I totally with you, and the question was for basically any leg type, whether 2, 4, 6 whatevs.

A buddy of mine brought up “ya, but what if the mech is neurally controlled?  Non-plantigrade legs might totally futz with the human brain…”

Discuss! 😀

Thomaston
    Participant

Another advantage of chicken legs is they can set the mechs down vertically like birds do, helps with crew getting in.

Tired is enough.

Mr. Average
    Participant

I totally with you, and the question was for basically any leg type, whether 2, 4, 6 whatevs. A buddy of mine brought up “ya, but what if the mech is neurally controlled? Non-plantigrade legs might totally futz with the human brain…” Discuss! 😀

The neural interface would have a motion control simulator to translate the pilot’s movements appropriately. It would prevent him from knowing the difference.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.