Home Forums Modern Medics in western armies?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

In western armies, present day, is there usually a designated medic in each squad, are they attached from higher levels or how does that work?

Thanks in advance!

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Jurgen Leistner
    Participant

Ivan,

I am not sure about other Western armies but for Bundeswehr Panzergrenadier units, a medic is attached at the Zug (platoon) level.  However, all of the soldiers are, of course, trained to give emergency aid.

Jurgen

GeoffQRF
    Participant

Is an individual medical figure required (i.e. With additional medic bag) or do people just use a suitably marked or painted standard figure?

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Geoff,

I like the fact that the Vietnam miniatures makers put a medic in their platoon packs.  Having said that, I still use a differently shaped base and markings for my medics.

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Is an individual medical figure required (i.e. With additional medic bag) or do people just use a suitably marked or painted standard figure?

Personally, I like a figure that is visibly a medic. If you were trying to make a pack out of it, why not make it something like 2 medics and 6 casualties?

Nordic Weasel Games

Jurgen Leistner
    Participant

Geoff,

My Chinese have a medic figure, because Empress make one; my Bundeswehr, Soviet and British just have normal figures, with one designated as a medic for the game.  My PMC figures do not have medics:).

Jurgen

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Now that you mention it, the only actual medic figure I think I own is a scifi guy: One of the Rusk figures by Armies Army.

Nordic Weasel Games

GeoffQRF
    Participant

If you were trying to make a pack out of it, why not make it something like 2 medics and 6 casualties?

Hmm, liking that idea…

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

If you wanted more variety in the pack, throw in a surrendered trooper or two. I’d love to have some as “broken morale” markers. Trying to transition from using counters to some sort of models instead.

Nordic Weasel Games

Shawn Carpenter
    Participant

As Jurgen notes, most modern forces have a medic/corpsman assigned at the platoon level. Individual troops at the squad level receive varying degrees of “buddy-care” training depending on the type of unit. Troops in most First World line rifle units generally have solid training in first aid and immediate stabilization techniques, while the average member of US Special Forces team has enough training to qualify as a medic in their own right.

I’m a huge fan of figures being used to show statuses rather than counters, too. I’d love to see figures that could be used to indicate casualties, morale effects, etc., a’la many of Peter Pig’s games. Much nicer to look at than a chit on the table!

Shawn.

Shawn Carpenter
    [email protected]
    www.ambushalleygames.net

Altius
    Participant

I play Cold War Commander and Future War Commander, which represents a higher level than skirmish. There are rules for using medic/evac units and I try to include those in the armies that I build.

Where there is fire, we will carry gasoline

kyoteblue
    Participant

My BF Americans for Viet Nam have both a Medic and casualty figures at the Company level.

Michael Moore
    Participant

In The US Army each Bn has a Medical platoon with a senior Aid man at Company and each Platoon having a Aidman. At BN you would find the BN Aid Station which includes a treatment section and Evacuation section. During war time the BAS can form two seperate facilities with one led by the Doctor (present during wartime) and the other by the Physicians Assistant.

At least one member of each fire team is trained in advance life saving with the others having basic medical training….Mikey

Yukon5G
    Participant

To piggy back on what Mikey said, the modern US Army platoon has a dude sliced down from BN. We mobilized with two medics attached to our platoon. Once we hit the FOB, they were taken away to man the Troop Medical Clinic, though.

Individual soldiers will have a minimum of basic assessment and stabilization. Every joe will know how to put on a combat tourniquet. At least two guys in a squad will probably also have Combat Life Saver training. Depending on the exact timeframe you’re gaming, the exact level of training these guys get will vary. When I did CLS prior to deployment, it was a full 40-hour course and included basic triage, setting IVs and locks, airway management and bleed control. Now it’s a 16-hour course.

Sink meh!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

All good info, thanks!

As it stands in the rules I am working on, I am permitting any soldier to help treat a wounded for the purpose of the battle, but dedicated medics can do so easier and faster.

Nordic Weasel Games

Yukon5G
    Participant

If you’re injured enough to need buddy care, let alone a dedicated medic, you’re probably out of the fight except in the most dire circumstances. Better to use medics for morale effects than returning a figure magically to the game.

Sink meh!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

That is exactly how it works in my game 😉

Untreated wounded act as a penalty to morale checks.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Ivan Sorensen.

Nordic Weasel Games

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.