Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Micro-Scale Corrugated Iron

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant

I have finally, after much procrastination, started working on a 6mm modern project; rather than taking the easy way out and gaming a European Theatre, I am doing the Cold War in Africa. The reason that I want to do this in 6mm (when I already have a lot of post-WW2 African stuff in both 15mm and 28mm) is that I want to field fairly large forces, including helicopters, armour, artillery, etc., without breaking the bank, and I want to be able to play out urban-combat scenarios without having to buy a second home to store all the buildings. However, one of the requirements for an African urban sprawl is, sadly, lots and lots of shacks/shanties.
    In 28mm these are easy – for corrugated iron, corrugated card is your fried. In 15mm, this method is a little less convincing, but is passable. In 6mm, well I don’t think I will be able to get corrugated card with the corrugations close enough together. So, for all you veterans of the smaller scales, what do you do when you want to model corrugated iron?

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Mike
    Keymaster

Plasticard..

Used HERE and HERE

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Mike. Reason: added links
    Paul
    Participant

But do you buy corrugated plasticard, or do you just take a sheet of regular palsticard and score it with parallel lines? Very nice shacks, by the way – if I didn’t want a lot I would have said to hell with it and ordered, but with the number I want, it would cost me a fortune just for the shacks.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Depends upon how much time you have on your hands.  Personally, I’d go with buying it, I’ve got far too many x-acto scars as it is…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

irishserb
    Participant

If you are into scratch building, Plastruct offers 1/200 corrugated plastic sheet.  It might be small enough to pull off the look:

https://plastruct.com/shop/plain-and-patterned-sheet/91510-ps-10/

Evergreen also makes some styrene sheet that might work:

https://evergreenscalemodels.com/collections/0401-0mm-opaque-white-polystyrene-corrugated-metal-siding

Note that the Plastruct sheet is basically double sided, but very thin.  Use a glue, rather than solvent on it, as to can very easily melt the sheet.  it is very easy to work with though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.