Home Forums Air and Sea Air MiG Alley

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I played a couple of games of MiG Alley today…really good fun, if a little one sided in the first game (if you’re playing solo, you can’t lose either way so I’m claiming a victory for the UN!)

http://jimswargamesworkbench.blogspot.com/2021/04/mig-alley-back-to-back.html

Participant

I still haven’t gotten around to buying Blood Red Skies, despite my burning curiosity.   And seeing you playing the supplement isn’t helping me!

Those wintery bases look very striking.

Participant

This was the Wings at War MiG Alley not the Blood Red Skies game.

Participant

Cool games, a shame the MiGs didn’t do too well, especially in the second game.

Participant

Identical titles don’t really help identification!   Thanks for the link; that’s quite and informative site.

Even though I was in error about the rules, I still stand by my statement that your bases are quite striking!

Participant
    Participant

I really enjoy the WAW series, especially Thud Ridge.  Nice to see some Mig Alley action with planes other than just F-86 and Mig-15s, great looking games ya had there too.  We did some real interesting games with both sides attempting to ground strike during a battle with the CAPs going after one another, resulted in the Yak-9s trying to shoot down the F4us rather than dropping their bombs, with the F9 Panthers tangling with both Mig-15s and LA-11s.  Had an H-5 helo go in to rescue a downed airman behind enemy lines, and just like in the Tokori movie both perished.

We also played a totally fictional scenario where the Brits borrowed a bunch of H-19 to conduct a raid, with the Commies diverting a bombing raid to intercept.  It was Sea Vampires and Sea Furys vs IL-10s and Mig-15s, with a Sunderland along the coast to pick up any downed crews in the water.  The Migs had a real hard time trying to line up on the slow moving helos, and the IL-10s took a pounding.

So Jim, play more!  Report more!!!!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

http://www.wingsatwar.com

Interesting stuff.  There are a lot of different sub-periods within the rules.  What are the differences between each of the different sets of rules: just aircraft specifications or something greater?

www.olivercromwell.org; www.battlefieldstrust.com
    6mm wargames group: [email protected]; 2mm wargames group: [email protected]

Participant

The flying rules are pretty much the same, but there are differences in more modern settings for the different types of missiles.  Also, you cannot generally import a plane from one game to another, so a Mig-15 in Mig Alley will not have the same stats if you put it into Thud Ridge (though there is a Mig-17 in that set).  Likewise an La-9 in WW2 has different stats than that in Mig Alley as the 2 games try to keep the same max speeds (due to the d6 usage) but in relation to the aircraft involved.

Thud Ridge is quite different from the other games in the way the 2 sides pick forces, things are setup and the general objective of the game itself.  The defender (North Vietnamese) picks their forces based on the strike package the FWF side chooses and things like AAA and SAMs are revealed as recon goes on or sites are activated and some other factors.  It is basically a much larger theater you are dealing with than in Mig Alley, which is a more straight forwards games, even if you’re F-84s doing a bridge strike along the Yalu.

I don’t have the BoB set, nor the WW1 so cannot speak to them. The series really is good stuff though!

Participant

Do Mig Alley (Wings at War) have any recommended basing size?

Participant

It’s 30mm x 30mm for most aircraft, 40mm x 40mm for big aircraft e.g. B29’s and 25mm x 25mm for light aircraft (although not all of the different versions of the rules use the smaller bases).

Participant

Latest lot off the workbench…the Football War, the Honduran half of it anyway. I have converted the Desert Spitfires rules for this, with some tweaks to make it fit.

http://jimswargamesworkbench.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Football%20War

Looking forward to your Football War games. You have gunpods on the SNJ and T-28s but no radar pod on teh F4U-5N?

Participant

No, they took those off. In fact they didn’t have radar fitted.

Participant

Added them on a couple of models for MiG Alley though:

Participant
    Participant

Ooooo, that “Merry Xmas” campaign sounds really really cool!  You could probably adapt it to a generic setting as well.  And it does sound like it might be perfect for conversion to The Football War.  Really looking forwards to what you do with it!

Participant

Nick should have the Merry Xmas Mr Sankara campaign rules up on Wargames Vault very soon. Its definitely worth getting hold of a copy. I quite fancy having a go at a Mali vs Burkina Faso project now!

Participant
    Participant

Yes!   I’d definitely be interested in such a booklet from Wargames Vault!   Looks like an ideal, small self contained project about a really obscure and pointless conflict, all of which appeal greatly to me!

I didn’t know they took the radar domes off, I thought I saw them on ACIG when it was still around.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.