Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Mighty Empires

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks

The starting realms:

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Neat – are the tile blue-tac’d down or going to be on the table awhile?

I remember when these first came out and the local GW store ran a campaign for Warhammer based on them and had stuck the tiles to a board to hang up

Mr. Average
    Participant

Neat – are the tile blue-tac’d down or going to be on the table awhile? I remember when these first came out and the local GW store ran a campaign for Warhammer based on them and had stuck the tiles to a board to hang up<noscript></noscript>

“We can always get another set.  It’s not like it’s going out of print any time soon, right?”

Logain
    Participant

Very cool. Hmm another alternative to the official tiles (which are awesome) might be a copy of the board game Carcassone, which is a tile-based map making game with similar style art.

Angel Barracks

Blu tac dots hold the tiles in place, they are very thin and stickier than blu tac.
    The thinness is great as big blobs make the tiles uneven, these sit really quite flat.

Everything else is stuck down with regular blu tac.

I have 2 sets of Carcassone. But it would not work without a massive overhaul.
    The cities take up multiple tiles, there are no real rivers, though you could swap in roads as rivers, and there are no mountains or coasts.

I have run out of villages so may have to make a quick one and then make a mould and cast them up…

Tony Hughes
    Participant

Not sure which piece is a village but I have an old set I bought for the bits and may have some I don’t need. E-mail me a pic or description of which pc it is you want and I’ll see.  admin AT tinytintroops.co.uk

Tony of TTT

Angel Barracks

That is very kind, but how things are going I will need quite a few.

It is these though.

Tony Hughes
    Participant

Would 20 be enough ? That leaves me enough for what I want to do with them.

Tony of TTT

Tony Hughes
    Participant

I have got spares of most of the bits except the ships (which is mostly what I got the set for, along with the map tiles – 2nd hand on evil-bay). The box was wrecked but most of the models. counters and tiles were intact. Let me know if you need any other bits and I’ll look through them.

Tony of TTT

Angel Barracks

20 would be great, if you have some of the bigger cities too that would greaterer!

Drop me an e-mail or PM with what you reimbursement you want for them.

Angel Barracks

Got them, thank you very much!

Tony Hughes
    Participant

No problem Mike, glad I could help and make use of stuff I’d probably not use.

Tony of TTT

Phil Dutré
    Participant

Funny, I replayed ME – after it had lain dormant for almost 30 years – last year as well:

https://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/2020/04/mighty-empires-2.html

So what did I learn?
    There’s a lot of dice rolling. A lot! 
    There’s more dice rolling!
    And even more!
    To summarize, a lot of dice rolling on all sorts of tables: to determine the content of a tile when scouted; to determine whether you can move over mountains and how much troops that will cost you; to determine the strength of independent settlements; to see what happens when an army banner doesn’t have enough subsistence; and so on…

So is Mighty Empires  a good game? Hmmm, no, not so good. But then, it was never meant as a standalone game. You should really see it as a campaign world generator, with a lot of unexpected events happening, and for that, it does the job.

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

Angel Barracks

Yay, more M.E.!!

Angel Barracks

After the initial deployment and set up we played 2 turns (2 years game time).

Notable events were some terrible scouting rolls by me, lots of barren and crappy events.
    Samantha had a spell that made one of my banners scout in a random direction, and it spent the whole campaign year going no-where.
    Some uprisings and settlements going independent.
    All in all Samantha had better scouting and better spells until I got a spell that destroyed one of Samantha’s banners totally.
    So that was 1500 points obliterated.

Current state of play:

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Looks pretty cool Michael!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Looks like Samantha has a couple of hold-outs she needs to deal with.  You better get a move on to gobble up the remainder, my dude, looks like you don’t have much time left!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mr. Average
    Participant

This is so cool to see! A reconstruction of ME is on my long term graphic art/gaming projects.

Steven Francis
    Participant

That does look great….

Angel Barracks

Played year 3 today.
    I pushed through into the middle and captured the city in the mountains.
    My siege on an independent fortress on the southern page finally worked and they capitulated.

In the NE I scouted an independent city that repelled my forces and I retreated to my coastal fort, Samantha swept down and captured the city and some surrounding land and cut off my coastal fort.
    🙁

She also had successful scouting and found new land near the SW.

Event wise I was luckiest, the news of my great victory in the mountains meant that heroes came to join me (+400 points of heroes) and my merchants excited by the new trade routes generated extra coin with city providing extra gold.

Samantha less luck, rebellion (which she quashed later with gold) and magical instrument for one of her units.

Oh yeah, I spent a big chunk of my tax on building a fortress in the mountain pass just below the city I captured.

Next year looks very much like some tabletop battles will be fought.

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Ouch – having the coastals cut must really sting – hope you can sit down OK 

I’m amazed by how ‘busy’ the map is – I thought it would be mainly armies moving around rather than buildings – my memory of the game is so so hazy though.

Nice to see its progressing through to the battle stage.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Pretty smart of her to cut you off like that!  Looking forwards to that battle.

Say, what are the 2 enclaves she has surrounded in her territory?  Independent mines or some such?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Angel Barracks

Crap, sorry yes.
    She keeps rolling for insurrection and rebellion and those have declared independence.

Angel Barracks

So, likely going to stop using ME as a campaign system for WFB and either ditch it or play it as a contained game.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Did it get to where the campaign took over more interesting dimensions than the tabletop game? That often happens. That, or the war stagnates, which is realistic enough for medieval warfare.

Angel Barracks

The thing that put me off as a WFB extension is the in game money.
    A village gives you 1GC each year to spend.
    1GC buys you 100 points of troops.

So when a village is attacked and I fight to keep it, I am likely to lose between 700 points and 1500 points doing so.
    Even winning with medium losses it will be 7 game turns before keeping that village pays for itself, and that is assuming it is not attacked again next year.

I just don’t want to fight tabletop battles using that rationale.

I think we will carry on playing, but resolve combat using the ME rules rather than WFB.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah that’s pretty weak.  I wonder what a way around that might be.

Thomaston
    Participant

That sounds like my kind of games where you ahve to preserve your force. I do agree 1 GC = 100pts is a little low, maybe 500pts?

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Angel Barracks

It is what it is.
    As we will likely play it as a boardgame I don’t mind so much, but if fighting over a village for 1gc with miniatures for 4 hours was the plan, then nah.
    But a 5 minute battle using the ME ingame combat system, that I can get on board with.

Mr. Average
    Participant

You might hybridize – for “routine” battles use the board system, for key historical fights, where your general or your monarch is on the field, use the tabletop system.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.