Home Forums General General Military fashion

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Jemima Fawr Jemima Fawr 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

https://style.nine.com.au/2018/11/02/16/36/this-is-what-those-weird-coat-buttons-are-used-for

An article that describes a eureka moment when young women discover the original use of shoulder straps on fashionable coats they’re buying.

Really? They didn’t know this??

I’m not sure whether I should be appalled they didn’t know the point of shoulder straps or that I do.

donald

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

I didn’t know that. I always thought it was to help display your rank.

cmnash
    cmnash
    Participant

or somewhere to stuff your beret/cap

James Manto
    James Manto
    Participant

I didn’t know that. I always thought it was to help display your rank.

Up until WW1 officer ranks were on their cuffs.

Which strikes me as bring very unhelpful to a young subaltern

Sane Max
    Sane Max
    Participant

are we sure that IS what they were for?

I too assumed they were there for Rank display as well as a handy place to stick your cap. Oddly, when I last broke my collar bone I used them for stopping my back-pack sliding off my one working shoulder in an annoying way, and as a result the strap wore out really, really quickly.

If you used them to stop an army pack sliding off your shoulders, those buttons would have the life-span of a mayfly.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

zippyfusenet
    Participant

If you used them to stop an army pack sliding off your shoulders, those buttons would have the life-span of a mayfly.

Depends how strong strap, thread and buttons are. I think they were meant to hold the shoulder belts for the cartridge box and sword belt, rather than a back pack. Shoulder straps were a standard feature on Confederate uniform jackets made at the Richmond Depot. They were so poorly made that the soldiers would generally cut them off.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Crap!!
    That post of mine from my phone is huge….

Sorry…

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

or somewhere to stuff your beret/cap

Don’t let the R.S.M. catch you doing that!

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Jemima Fawr
    Jemima Fawr
    Participant

are we sure that IS what they were for? I too assumed they were there for Rank display as well as a handy place to stick your cap. Oddly, when I last broke my collar bone I used them for stopping my back-pack sliding off my one working shoulder in an annoying way, and as a result the strap wore out really, really quickly. If you used them to stop an army pack sliding off your shoulders, those buttons would have the life-span of a mayfly.

Yes, it’s definitely what they were for. Back in the 18th Century, when soldiers generally had a knapsack slung over one shoulder, there was usually a single shoulder-strap/epaulette on that shoulder (or often just off the back of the shoulder).  Then, as backpacks became more prevalent around (1800ish) uniform coats received two shoulder-straps/epaulettes.

Some armies used shoulder-straps/epaulettes to stop the cartouche-belt or sabre cross-belt sliding off the shoulder rather than the knapsack, but the principle was the same.

Shoulder ‘wings’ and ‘rolls’ also descended from items designed to stop belts from sliding off the shoulders.

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.