Home Forums Alternate History Imagi-Nations Mini Magach

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

A little project on a whim.
    I’ve always liked the israeli Magach tanks and I prefers light tanks to the larger ones. It’s built on Flames of War plastic M24 with a few conversion. It’s probably going to sit somewhere as a display model or template for some smaller 3mm ones.

Historically, Iran, Iraq and Saudi used M24s so maybe they sent them over in one of the wars with Israel and got captured, maybe. If I was going to use it for a game though it’ll be Girls und Panzer kind of games.

Initially I wanted to paint it olive drab with ERAs in tan, but that might make it look too modern like vehicles in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I might add a tow cable to the front and a lot of stowage. I want to add two crew eventually when I’m in the mood to sculp something. My only regret with this is not printing the ERA blocks at higher resolution. I do have another sprue that I might do a little more with. One thing I pondered doing was to remove the turret stowage bin and put in a basket similar to M48 series or more modern tanks.

Participant

Very nice work.

One is good, more is better
    http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks, things were iffy a few times.

Participant

Those panels make it look quite a bit more nifty.  Wonder what one would look like sand guards (side skirts) and maybe an engine upgrade?  (I do like how the Isrealis change out the engines of just about anything “foreign”, making them easily identifiable, like with the Centurions)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

I played around with the side skirt before settling on this configuration. With ERA on side skirt, it looks like an MBT with an oversized .50cal M2, very modern. I do want to do something about the rear. Not liking the little thing that juts out the back, but its a shame to loose all those details on the rear deck. I think Centurions uses engines from M48/M60?

Maybe a modernized and upgunned version with either French 75mm or 76mm from M41 with fume extractor. Not sure what I can do about the engine, but the tracks will be switched around with the drive sprocket at the rear like more modern designs. Side skirt and ERA.

Participant

I believe they did indeed use the same engine as the M48, so had the peaked rear deck.

Are these models the old solid resin BF miniatures?  You may be able to do something as easy as making a greenstuff copy of a fan from a Panther or Tiger if you have one and slap it on the rear deck, or even copy the vent that is there and turn it sideways just to make it look different. (kind of like how they turned the engines in the T55s they captured to turn them into APCs).  Go ahead and cut that box off the back and add some different detail that you like, or overhang a new engine deck.  I think there’s lots you can do without having to mod the turret and still have it able to spin 360.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.