Home Forums General General Miniature sizes …. and the horrible, anxious wait.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Finally got my  package from Splintered Light. And finally the wait is over. It was a slightly larger purchase this time and I didn´t know how well they would work with my other minis. That really makes me anxious every time if I do a purchase with a company I hadn´t purchased anything before. Will they work with the others? And, poooooh *swipingthesweatfromtheforehead* they work as intended!
    The only thing that made me a bit angry: the package was transported to Germany very fast – and was than delayed for weeks by the customs.

Now, when do I paint them all….

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

I have become desensitised to this. I don’t mean I’ve stopped caring about size compatibility. Quite the contrary. I mean I have become desensitised to the fact that many of the miniatures I order turn out to be effectively incompatible with the projects I had them in mind for. I’ve come to view this hobby as being quite “lossy” in the sense that I have to purchase more than I end up using, simply because some purchases turn out to be duds. I can’t avoid that being the case, so it’s just part of the inescapable cost of doing business (or the cost of being active in the hobby, as the case may be).

It’s not healthy, I know. But it’s the mindset I’ve naturally landed at, as a result of engaging in this hobby. Not sure how I could ever have landed anywhere else. It’s the nature of the beast.

However, I do find that I can often revisit previously purchased “dud” miniatures and find some other project for them later. For instance, I have two different “nominal 6mm” gothic sci-fi projects going on, parallel to each other. One uses true-ish 6mm figures like those from Onslaught, Bradley (Alternative Armies) and original Epic 40K. The other uses the much larger Vanguard miniatures. When I first discovered I couldn’t mix Vanguard with Onslaught (at least as far as infantry is concerned) I was downcast. I couldn’t bring myself to abandon either range, especially as I had already invested myself in them both. I let the whole matter percolate in my head for a while… and here I am, doing two of the “same” project! I’m not complaining.

Participant

I don’t normally have an issue with size differences WITHIN REASON*, as I can just think of it as species dimorphism.  Some people are just taller or chunkier than others.  But, it does seriously bother me when they are armed with the same weapon and those appear to be wildly different scales.  I cannot abide, say, one dude having a realistic looking Ak47 and another having a huge and clunky AK47.  For some reason that drives me up the wall.  I learned early on in my Vietnam gaming that I loved the SHQ 20mm minis, but nothing else mixes with them, especially not Britannia, of which I already had some.

*I have a WWW2 project on hold because I cannot find “standard” WW2 figures that match well with DUST figures, which I think are basically 1/48.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I have a large collection of FAA WWII Germans, bought many years ago.  Since then I have added Germans from SHQ, Britannia, and some other manufacturers.  I don’t think twice about a FAA battalion fighting alongside one from Britannia, but what I won’t do is mix the manufacturers within the same unit.  Same thing goes for 1/76 and 1/72 vehicles.  They can all be on the same table, just not next to each other.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

I have a jolly, no holds barred attitude toward minis mixing. Platoon 20, SHQ, Britannia, Elhiem, Esci, and Rafm all mix together in my Vietnam War 20mm units.

The only scale I am more cautious about with this scale is 6mm, because of how massive Baccus and GHQ infantry are compared to Heroics and Ros.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.