Home Forums General Books and Magazines Miniature Wargames 418

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Treadaway
    Participant

I dunno what it is but these seem to be happening on virtually a monthly basis…. Issue 418 of Miniature Wargames will be available in January. But what’s in it, I here you ask?

Cover

Well there’s the main cover feature for a start: Hell by Daylight. It’s a set of rules for 20th Century Skirmish gaming by Jim Webster. In this first section it’s fire and movement. (Part 1 of 4).

Hell by daylight

Then there’s The Sands of the Sudan. Starting a new period to be used for a participation show game with a scenario and rules suggestions, Martin Gane tells us how (and why) he stepped away from his usual Napoleonics to pastures new.

Sudan

We also have Command Decision: Can you get the troops home and safe? This is a colonial command conundrum by Jon Sutherland.

Command Decision

Next up is Gondolin Guards: this marks a return to conversions (from all historical miniatures) and painting in the First age of Middle Earth by Graham Green.

Gondolin

The we have a piece on the Catalonian Campaign: Napoleon in Spain and the Battle of Valls. Introducing the Powder and Sword rules by their author Michel Hamon.

Catalonia

In Carpet Bombshell, Diane Sutherland shows us the best use for carpet that she’s found so far: whole table covering for the gamer!

Wargames Widow

But there’s more!

Shows: Roger Dixon goes to Dragonmeet in London; and Dice: Andy Copestake asks why we seem to be addicted to them. Plus, for reviews we have Fantasy Facts: The usual holo-deck experience of the latest news in F&SF gaming with releases from Black Pyramid, Brigade, Slave2Gaming, Antediluvian Miniatures, Osprey and Outlaw Miniatures; Forward Observer with (mostly) historical wargaming  with reports on Warlord, Rubicon, Deep Cut and Caliver Books. Finally we have Recce for twelve book reviews. And the free Club Directory!

Go here for more info for when the issue is available to order.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Russell Phillips
    Participant

Are the Hell By Daylight rules the same ones that Jim had published way back when? Or have they been changed?

Military history author

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I do so love the spread of scales, genres, and rules systems that you jam into each edition!  Keep it up John-boy!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

John Treadaway
    Participant

Russell – the easy way for me to answer that is to quote Jim himself:

I wanted a ‘modern’ rule set and there weren’t any that I felt caught the true feel of Twentieth century warfare (and that’s a polite way of saying that none of them pandered to my preconceptions.) So I wrote my own. We’ve used them for Boer war all the way through to near future. I confess I’m not sure when the first edition of Hell by Daylight rules came out. It’s so long ago they were written using a typewriter, with regular application of snopake to cover up the errors.

I haven’t the faintest idea how many games I’ve played with these rules, and I know from correspondence that many other people have used them. They’ve stood the test of time, so I’ve tried not to tinker too much here with what is the Hell by Daylight: ‘the second edition’. One area that people did mutter into their beers about in version one was the armour rules. Because it was a skirmish set I never really took much account of armour when I wrote the initial edition. Yet players want to have partisans hunting Tiger 1s and similar so I’ve pandered to this. Please note that – in this first section – I deal with fire, movement and morale with vehicles, aircraft and scenarios in later sections.

My emphasis in bold.

Jim wanted chance to the new improved rules and I wanted to give it to him!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    John Treadaway
    Participant

And thanks Darkest Star: I’m trying very hard to appeal to as many gamers as possible, as often as posssible. I may well be chasing my own shadow but I figure it’s worth a try!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

It looks good.

I have an original copy of hell by daylight somewhere – of the memories.

Rhoderic
    Participant

I’m loving that timeless, down-to-earth, tastefully understated portrayal of Tolkienesque fantasy in 28mm. Between those articles and the new product lines from North Star (Oathmark) and Conqueror Models, I think I’m seeing a bit of a convergence for this kind of theme and I hope it’s a new “in-thing” that’s still picking up steam.

Russell Phillips
    Participant

I’m fairly sure I still have a copy of Hell by Daylight. I only got to play then a few times, but they’re a good set.

Military history author

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.