Home Forums General Books and Magazines MIniature Wargames 432: Salute guide issue

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by John Treadaway John Treadaway 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    John Treadaway
    John Treadaway
    Participant

cover

Issue 432 of Miniature Wargames is almost with us. What do we have for the readers?

Well, for a start off there’s the FREE 48-page SALUTE 2019 Show Guide inside with all the details of this, the biggest UK wargaming show. Salute has such a large haul of excellent display games – plus, of course, a truly vast selection of trade from around the world – that missing things at the show is easy. You know the drill: you turn up unprepared, the doors open and you look around and… you’re lost: there’s almost too much to see. But a good General plans: a good Commander equips the troops to allow for any eventuality. So what can you do? Rest assured, for your attendance at Salute 2019, you don’t need a compass or Sat Nav: all you need is the FREE 48 page Show Guide which is ONLY available in the April edition of Miniature Wargames (issue 432). It’s packed with detail and extra features but – just as importantly – it has the full floorplan to the show.

From Carentan to La Fière Causeway you can fight through D-Day Europe with these two scenarios. To help you with that we have, on the cover, a  WWII Normandy double feature with  an introduction to  the Ultracombat Normandy rule system with an interview with the author plus that Carentan scenario. In addition to this we the Causeway at La Fière: Cotentin Peninsular June 1944 which is a Command Decision conundrum By Jon Sutherland.

Having said that, you can make it trebles all round and complete that Normandy feel by scratch building your own Bocage with the Wargames Widow!

In Alexander: Conquest Fulfilled the hypothetical Battle of the River Dan 320 BCE is explored: could Alexander have made it to China? This game – appearing at Salute 2019 – thinks he might have, given the chance…

In Morocco. you can explore the Zaian War of 1914-1921. There are tips and scenarios for French forces and the Berbers.

With Mos Espa you can scratch-building historically accurate 28mm Star Wars Terrain (based on the buildings in the remaining film set) guided by noted scratch builder by Tony Harwood.

Stars & lasers II: is a space-going piracy scenario; while the editor took a trip to the ROBIN show in Nottingham.

There’s All the usual news and reviews. For reviews we have Fantasy Facts: The usual look at the latest products in F&SF gaming Crooked Dice; Mantic; Deep Cut; Maelstrom’s Edge; Sally 4th; Brigade and more! And there’s a bumper, pre-Salute, five page edition of Forward Observer with (mostly) historical wargaming product reports on Kallistra; V&V Miniatures; Gunfighters Ball; Caliver Books; Victrix; Osprey; Antediluvian; Lancashire Games; Perry Miniatures;  Stoessi’s Heroes; Dishdash Games and more! Finally we have Recce for a 10 book reviews. And the free Club Directory!

Enjoy!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

The sci-fi scenery article looks like something I’ll be wanting to check out. Also the spaceship one.

Phil Dutré
    Phil Dutré
    Participant

Ok, that’s a cover I don’t like at all.

This type of drawing always features some tough guy looking ‘into the camera’ and shouting something. The only thing that’s missing is him waving his arm motioning the others forwards. I always find this type of drawing very cliché and old-fashioned, and conveys the image of a 60s or 70s action comic.

And it’s too much FOW. 😉

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Phil Dutré Phil Dutré.

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

The cover is not important to me.  I buy the mag regardless of cover or content!  I must admit though that I end up reading very little of it (and even less of its competitor) because the games I like to play just don’t feature.  Book and product news/reviews do get a thorough examination though.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Phil Dutré
    Phil Dutré
    Participant

The cover is not important to me. I buy the mag regardless of cover or content! I must admit though that I end up reading very little of it (and even less of its competitor) because the games I like to play just don’t feature. Book and product news/reviews do get a thorough examination though.

Since I am a subscriber, the cover is also not of primordial importance to me in my decision to buy the magazine. 😉

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

John Treadaway
    John Treadaway
    Participant

All your input is valuable, gents.

Cover’s are a tricky thing. Many years ago I was doing some design work for the Hammer’s Slammers rules (vehicles especially) and I was in communication with the author (Dave Drake) and I asked him “are any of the book front cover’s for the Slammers series examples of how you actually think the tanks are meant to look?”

“No” he replied “I’ve long since given up hope that front covers are just billboards to sell the contents”.

By definition, a magazine isn’t a (one topic) book and it’s always a mixed bag, some of which will appeal (hopefully) to everyone but – in any given month – it’s unlikely that every item will appeal to any particular reader.

The cover… Well, it’s always a toss up between figure shots and art (I always chose figures, where possible). Then – if it’s arty – do you go with something illustrative or something ‘dynamic’ (like this months)? If it’s figures do you go with jaw dropping paint jobs (that the vast majority of us can’t do but are nevertheless inspirational to some and dispiriting to others). Or do you go with average figures that we all play with?

I’ll just try and keep the mix about right, I guess!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

Having said that I don’t care what’s on the cover, I am troubled by the featured Airfix SdKfz 234/4 with its incorrect mudguards.  That vehicle should never be allowed on a wargame table, ever, let alone on a magazine cover!  How did Airfix get it so wrong?  It’s not as though there were no photographs of the real thing in existance.

John Treadaway
    John Treadaway
    Participant

I am troubled by the featured Airfix SdKfz 234/4 with its incorrect mudguards.

By gosh you may be right: wargamers throughout the world should all stamp on their’s immediately (irrespective of whether they’ve done a really nice paint job on them)

Well spotted!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

John D Salt
    John D Salt
    Participant

Having said that I don’t care what’s on the cover, I am troubled by the featured Airfix SdKfz 234/4 with its incorrect mudguards. That vehicle should never be allowed on a wargame table, ever, let alone on a magazine cover! How did Airfix get it so wrong? It’s not as though there were no photographs of the real thing in existance.

The military modelling hobby press barely existed at the time, indeed Airfix were one of its main creators with “Airfix Magazine”. What Airfix could and did do was to visit and measure up examples of real vehicles in museums or other locations. This gave us, famously, a passable model of the M14 half-track (less its anti-aircraft mounting), still in service with the Royal Engineers at the time, which Airfix passed off as an M3, despite obviously having the wrong mudguard shape, the spurious bulkhead, and hinged drop-down panels along the top of the hull sides (they did change the hull rear corners from rounded to square, correct for the M3 but wrong for the M14). Likewise, the very off “sit” of the Airfix Panther is usually explained by its having been based on a burnt-out Panther with a collapsed suspension.

The Airfix Sd Kfz 234/4 seems to have been based on an example at Bovington that was entirely without mudguards, so Airfix seem to have erroneously plumped for the pattern used on the earlier Sd Kfz 232. J C Carbonel has created a wonderful diorama of the Airfix crew measuring it up, based on a photo from “Airfix Magazine” for January 1963.

When visiting M. Carbonel’s wonderful site, be sure to read his series “les gaffes dans les boxarts” for some glorious howlers in kit box art that make the 234’s mudguards look minor by comparison.

http://kitbox.free.fr/analyses/MS2005_8P/ARFX_234/index.html

Conoisseurs of cocked-up modelling will have little difficulty in finding examples on the interwebs of Airfix Sd Kfz 234s assembled with the PaK 40 shield in the wrong place, and with the exhausts on uʍop ǝpᴉsdn. Beautiful paint jobs, too, some of them. But no names, no pack drill.

All the best,

John.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I do so love this mag, however a 48-page guide to a show that I will most likely never be able to attend is unfortunately not all that useful for me.  Maybe for some eye-candy, but otherwise it just gives me pangs of longing…

Looking forwards to seeing the scifi and WW2 stuff though!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

John Treadaway
    John Treadaway
    Participant

On the positive side, it does have a brief look at the Dark Side of the Moon game the team and I have been working on!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

Thanks for that link John and the explanation of the 234/4 debacle.  Once I discovered that the mudguards were wrong (a great many years ago) I made a passable version of the 234/3 using plastic card and the unused short 75 barrel from an Airfix Pz IV.  I still have that conversion, but with the arrival of models of the ‘real thing’ it doesn’t make any appearances now.  My incorrect 234/4 sadly remains incorrect with Panzerstahl pre-paints taking its place on the table.

I knew nothing about the Airfix M3 being wrong, but I blame that on my almost total lack of interest in the American army of WWII.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

On the positive side, it does have a brief look at the Dark Side of the Moon game the team and I have been working on!

Nice!  Like to see that!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Norm S
    Norm S
    Participant

It’s in WH Smiths (UK) today. I like the cover and liked the (very good) AWI cover last issue. The issue before that had the black cover and I noticed by the month’send, not much had sold, despite me continually moving one to prime viewing place 🙂  so maybe covers do really mean something to the occasional buyer or potential new blood.

Anyway, I bought the new issue today – it looks to be an enjoyable read.

http://commanders.simdif.com

John Treadaway
    John Treadaway
    Participant

Thanks Norm. Speaking of its prominence on the shelf at Smiths, I was talking to the folks in the subscriptions department, they are putting a drive on to get extra Subs (there’ll be an astonishing offer for those attending Salute) so – for those that buy the mag in the Newsagents – this could be a big opportunity to get it sent to your gaff for free on a good deal.

Keep ’em peeled!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.