Home Forums General Books and Magazines MIniature Wargames 436

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    John TreadawayJohn Treadaway
    Participant

Issue 436 of Miniature Wargames is almost with us. What do we have for the readers?

We have a cool cover story: Storm Thangorodrim with First & Last – two scenarios from the Battles of Tolkien’s First Age.

We have Men Of Bronze: a first Impressions and try out of the Osprey Publications rules for Hoplite Battles with some tips and ideas to improve them.

Last month we had The Great Expedition with the background to Drake’s sixteenth century raids in the New World in part one. This month, in the conclusion we have rules and scenarios with downloadable content.

In Send Three and Fourpence we cover a co-operative D-Day scenario for Black Ops and in Command Decision Rugen Island – Swedish Pomerania in the 18th Century.

There’s a report on the Broadside show with more downloadable pictures plus we have lots of building, painting and making stuff! While we try out a selection of paints, airbrush masking and model painting the new Atlantic Wargames minis.

The Wargames Widow’s makes a temple, Tony Harwood builds a Trek shuttle while James Winspear finishes his Fantasy House!

There’s All the usual news and reviews. For reviews we have Fantasy Facts: with the usual look at the latest products in F&SF gaming we have Wargames Atlantic; Oakbound; North Star and more! And there’s Forward Observer with (mostly) historical wargaming product reports on Antediluvian Miniatures; Brigade Models; Caliver Books and even more! Finally we have Recce for a 14 book reviews. And the free Club Directory!

Have fun!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

This might be an especially interesting issue for me. I’m definitely into classic-style Tolkien fantasy without the “aftermarket” embellishments of Peter Jackson and others (not that I can’t enjoy that style as well, but it’s a separate thing). Furthermore, I’ve been often thinking lately that I want some sort of generic sci-fi shuttlecraft like the ones in Star Trek.

I’ve also realised that I’ve neglected to buy the previous issue, which likewise interested me when it was previewed. These preview posts tantalise me at a point when the issues are not yet available, but once they’re actually published my mind is on other things.

fairoaks024fairoaks024
    Participant

I sub already, but this looks like a particularly good cross section of articles for me!

excellent news.

jeffersjeffers
    Participant

Fantasy, scifi, yawn, avoid….

Sorry, I really shouldn’t post anything derogatory but I remember a time when this magazine inspired me. If this is your thing, then great, it’s your hobby.  To me, it’s like watching an old friend in declining health.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by jeffersjeffers.

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

Participant

You’re absolutely right Jeffers: Hoplite Warfare, Swedish 18th Century, D-Day small unit action, Building a greek temple, Francis Drake, Airbrush techniques for any AFV and painting a half timbered house (irrespective of what it’s called). And there’s the German WWII uniform patterns (again, irrespective of what they are painted on). Plus paint assemements (of special ‘fantasy paint, no doubt…) and a review of 14 historical books and four pages of historical  product and figure reviews. Oh and a blasted wargames show where some of the cheeky games featured weren’t all historical (though about half of them were, damn their eyes!). I agree: solid F&SF to a jot and tittle.

OK, scratch building a Star Trek Shuttle, Tolkien and four pages of Fantasy Facts reviews: ya got me….

You’re right: bring back the all historical issues, I say!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    jeffersjeffers
    Participant

Then lead on those and not the fantasy. But you’re the boss and if it thats what sells then fair enough. Like I said, if this is your thing…

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

Participant

It’s all about balance. Sure, last month we led with a Fantasy Item. But the month before it was Cruel Seas, and the month before that it was Wild West shoot outs.

Then (still in reverse order) it was Ultracombat Normandy (D-Day) and before that American War of Independence.

Going back further this year, February was Rangers of Shadowdeep (fantasy, granted) and January was a Russia at war double bill (Cold War and Kursk).

And those were just the front covers. All of the magazine issues themselves contained a balance (there’s that ‘b’ word again) just as the latest issue does. That balance is representative of everything in the hobby – historical and non-historical.

I honestly don’t understand what the issue is here (pun intended). It’s like criticising a magazine on ‘Sport’ because every single issue doesn’t have a picture of a footballer on the cover…

And no: I’m certainly not trying to edit a magazine based just on “what sells”. Seriously, look at this issue: Drake’s new world explorations? 17th Century Great Northern Wars in Sweden? Tolkien? And not the popular GW driven, Peter Jackson stuff from the films, but the much more obscure First Age, ‘serious’ Silmarillion material? If I wanted a magazine driven purely on sales, it’d be full of GW stuff and Flames of War (and all of it’s derivations) or Bolt Action (ditto).

And fine though that might be, what I’m after here are interesting articles written by skilled writers on subjects that they know about with games and scenarios that readers can play, all backed up by nice pictures. But then, my gaming tastes are pretty ‘catholic’ so I’ll play mostly enything.

Except for weird anime, I guess!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

Then lead on those and not the fantasy.

But why though?

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

But then, my gaming tastes are pretty ‘catholic’ so I’ll play mostly enything. Except for weird anime, I guess!

Am I going to have to lobby harder for a crossover between Revolutionary Girl Utena, FLCL, Ponyo on the Cliff and the final 30 minutes of Akira?

OK, OK, not helping, I know…

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Ponyo, Ponyo, Ponyo, tiny little fish…

deephorsedeephorse
    Participant

I buy it regardless of content, just to support the magazine.  One day it might go the way of Military Modelling and then I would be sad.  I’m still pining over MM and haven’t found anything close to replace it.

Before I joined Facebook I thought that a) most people were reasonable and intelligent, and b) they could spell words correctly. Guess what ......

Norm SNorm S
    Participant

I buy it regardless of content, just to support the magazine. One day it might go the way of Military Modelling and then I would be sad. I’m still pining over MM and haven’t found anything close to replace it.

That’s pretty much where I stand. I miss Practical Wargamer and so buy all three mags for the reasons you state. I’m guessing  that in 2019 magazines are probably existing at the margins of viability (no need to comment on that John) and that it has always been true that an editor can only ever publish whatever is submitted to them and again I am guessing that that in 2019 is a pool that is never comfortably over-flowing.

A bit of me actually feels guilty as I do a lot of blog writing and I should put my money where my mouth is and divert some of that energy to the odd magazine article.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by Norm SNorm S.

http://commanders.simdif.com

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

You know Norm, that’s not a bad idea.  Might even get a small bit of compensation for it!  (might just be a wink and beer, but better than nothin’!)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

The short version is that you can’t please everyone all the time.  There’s no such thing as a perfect magazine for our hobby and in my experience if you ask 3 wargamers what makes a good magazine you’ll get 4 opinions.  That doesn’t mean that all these opinions aren’t valid though.

Death to all fanatics!

fairoaks024fairoaks024
    Participant

Ive greatly enjoyed the mix of articles in the latest ‘incarnation’ of MW, I don’t think there’s been an issue where I haven’t thoroughly read 3/4 of every issue. A much higher ‘hit’ rate than the competition, though I buy and enjoy those too.

OchoinOchoin
    Participant

I rather thought the animosities between sci-fi/fantasy & historical gaming were a thing of the past.

The other “great divide” between metal & plastic figures still has a limited presence but less than formerly.

Clearly, it would be best if we all got along.

donald

Steve Johnson
    Participant

I think it important that magazines continue to showcase our wonderful hobby but, to be honest, I find little of interest in them for me. I used to enjoy WS&S, but after a few years I just didn’t enjoy the magazine and the articles therein. I much prefer Blogs were I can get my gaming fix in periods and scales I enjoy. So my hard earned shekels go on history books rather than said magazines. I do hope they all continue to flourish, but they’re no longer for me.

willzwillz
    Participant

All points above are valid and I agree with them all some to a greater degree than others.  In my 20-30s I used to subscribe to Military Modelling, practical Wargamer, Wargames illustrated, Miniature wargames (Battle Games later), as I worked at sea I needed material to read.  Fast foward 2003 onward I stopped subscribing to all those magazines for various reason, not going to sea as much but probably cost was the main factor £20 a month on magazines, then add in the internet and that reduced my need for printed magazine.  Also add in storage printed magazines take up a lot of space (yes I know you can purchase some on CD’s).  When I first entered this hobby in the earlier 70’s the main way of keeping up to date with hobby news was monthly magazines, now it is the internet.  Magazines are a victim of the growth of the internet, I rarely buy a wargame magazine these days.  Nothing against them and well done to all of you who run and support them, for me I can find my wargaming information, eye candy on the internet.

I wish you all best with printed magazines and long may they continue, happy gaming.

Willz.

willzwillz
    Participant

I thought I would add when the internet destroys itself, I will have to go back to buying more magazines.

Willz.

irishserbirishserb
    Participant

Hi John,

Do you know how Miniatures Wargames is packaged for subscription shipment?  I stopped subscribing to a couple mags, as they never arrived intact, often missing parts of covers, sometimes parts of pages, etc.  I think my postage carrier transports in the portable shredder.

Thanks,

irishserb

Participant

Bit of a group reply on all of those comments.

First off thanks for the positive comments – and the negative ones as well: the latter at least means that the reader cares enough about our hobby to comment and debate which is always a good thing. Oh and yeah – it gives me a chance to bang on about the historical/non-historical hobby horse which I’ve certainly touched on in recent editorials in the magazine (as readers might have seen). So: guilty!

@Oichin: sadly, the debate is still very much alive and well in the hobby (judging by my mail box and conversations I get when I attend shows and material I see on the web) and yes – I’m still shocked by it. But… there it is. As regular readers of the mag might see there are three prime cases of contributors who – for me – embody all that is positive about the hobby. Along with Conrad Kinch (the Send 3 and 4 pence columnist with a very wide taste in absolutely everything, period wise) there’s regular Dave Tuck and his team who write pieces on all of their interests and they have covered Greek Warfare (in the latest issue) but have previously written on the Terminator films, ACW, AWI, Western Gunfights, WWII (last issue), Victorian river boat scratchbuilding, Chinese naval battles with junks and more. He, along with regular Chris Swan who’s written on Francis Drake, Wild West, Jason and the Argonauts, Tex Mex wars, Norse mythology and – in the next issue (hopefully) – Hereward the Wake are just typical of the open view many very experienced wargamers (notice I don’t say ‘older’ as I’m trying to be polite!) have and what they bring to the magazine.

They are the backbone of what I am trying to achieve here: But – as others have said – you can’t please everyone.

@Willz, I think that the internet is close to maximum stupidity as we speak. There is, I fear, a new age of intolerance coming to us all, and wargaming – with all of the violence and neo-nazis it patently generates – will be near the front of the chopping block queue, I suspect. So renew your subscription (he says in an obvious attempt to gain sales!) before the magazines are also gone, just when you needed them the most!

@Irishserb I get my copies (with always an extra handful for spares) sent to me as if I were a subscriber in the regular post. They come in a poly bag and – even if they have a sprue on them – I’ve never once had an issue with damage. But – if you do – a promptly sent email to me (at the magazine address) with a phone camera shot of the issue in question and the problem will always be forwarded by me to our subs department who have a good record of dealing with issues.

Anyway gents: thankyou for your interest. The next mag has some fun planned: I’m hoping to include the Hereward I mentioned earlier, with maybe some Napoleonic pieces (maybe two or three), North of Delhi February 18th ccentury, building trenches and rocky outcrops and lots more!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

warwellwarwell
    Participant

The articles about Tolkien’s First Age intrigued me. When I found that you do a Kindle version I subscribed!

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

I’m leaning towards the keep it historical side. I found historical articals interesting and lead me to read more about the particular war/battle. Scifi/fantasy on the other hand are fictional there’s no facts there to learn or study. The First and Last Battle thing is kind of interesting from an LOTR lore standpoint.

That’s my take, not like it matters. In the end someone is going to get something out of the magazine.

Tired is enough.

Thorsten FrankThorsten Frank
    Participant

I found historical articals interesting and lead me to read more about the particular war/battle. Scifi/fantasy on the other hand are fictional there’s no facts there to learn or study.

While I fully second and support your first statement I disagree with the second. Being a sci-fi fan for forty years now and a player for over thirty I´ve got to say that I learned more about history and the world through this as if I´ve concentrated on “real” history. And it´s sometimes surprising how much real life history (and work!) goes into sci fi games/scenarios.
    As I stated elsewhere, I came into the hobby through converting a WWII scenario for Battletech.
    Still, real history often goes beyond what authors in the fantastic branch could think off.

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

As magazine content, historicals and fantasticals have different strengths and weaknesses. I think they complement each other well.

With historicals there’s the joy of gaining a better understanding of military history, which is useful not only for the historical interest in itself but also for crafting better speculative fiction. On the other hand, there are times when I feel like if I’ve seen one 28mm WW2 Normandy game, I’ve seen them all.

Fantasticals are the “floating world” of the wargames scene (that’s a historical reference about feudal Japan, to anyone who doesn’t recognise it). It often lacks anchoring and contours. On the other hand, there’s so much more creativity and variety to immerse oneself in. I love exploring other peoples’ worldbuilding exercises, even when that’s only implied through very oblique ways like the paint schemes in a “How to paint a space Fallschirmjäger” article or the terrain in the background of a shot of an interesting fantasy participation game spotted at a show. Even when a fantastical setting is anchored in some specific canon/lore/mythos/legendarium, as with Tolkien, I find it hugely interesting to take in different visual portrayals and storytelling spin-offs of that thing.

Thorsten FrankThorsten Frank
    Participant

Ok, sorry, for bringing this topic up again but I want to give a public opinion on this topic after reading the current issue. I thought for four days now writing this, repined with me and finally decided to do it

First, something about me: I´m a subscriber and living in Gemany. It arrived two days earlier than usual. Thursday, July 11th which was quite good.
    The current issue starts with the foreword (Ahm, Mr. Treadway, what are you wearing on this picture?) anc continues with the new historical minis. The Galloglas from Antediluvian and the Walker Bulldog tank from FMM immediately caught my attention btw. Next comes a cooperative D-Day scenario which was the surprise article in the current issue. That was very inspiring in many ways.
    The following article is the one on the First Age mentioned above. I´ve not read it yet but it´s definetely on the reading list. Next comes a review of the new Men in Bronze rules by Osprey which was quite interesting. I´m not really into Ancients currently but I´m not reverse aging too and what isn´t now can be in the future.
    And I´m even less into shot and musket, which comes next, a scenario of the invasion of the Island of Rügen during the Great Northern War. But, for me, it´s interesting to read about that (and be very jealous of Jon Sutherland´s miniatures on the pictures).
    Next, we´ve got a show report about the Broadside show. Well, as I mentioned in another post I´m not very into shows at all (there are just to few, sadly. and the hobby as a whole in Germany) and reports on them is just secondary. The pictures are nice and I discovered and recognized that SW Rebel glider that was posted a few days ago here again. As above, I´m absolutely jealous about the skills that went into the pictured minis. Respect.
    (John, btw, noticed a small error in the numbers of the pics on page 33)
    Following is a section about Fantasy and Sci-Fi news called Darker Horizons. That´s new (or at least I didn´t notice it in the previous issue) and that´s a good one in my opinion because that makes it much easier to look for certain things. The greatest surprise here was the short review on Reality´s Edge, a bool that´s on my shopping list (despite it´s high price).
    After that comes my personal highlight from this and the previous issue, the second part of The Great Epedition, a set of rules for Francis Drake´s raiding in the New World. This is my style. And one of the projects I will get into hopefully this year. At least in some way.
    One of the things that are very important for me is the Recce book review section. That´s maybe a personal problem again – but that´s one of the few places were I get some notice on interesting books. Many of the books, especially on miltary themes, published in the UK (or the USA) aren´t, sadly, in my view. And this is one of the few places I can get at least a glimpse.
    Next is a review on “Panzer Putty” a masking for fast painting vehicles. Cool product. I know what followed next is hated by most people  but, again, personally I found the review on the paints rather interesting because I´m currently in the process of buying new stuff for my 28mm sci fi project.
    Next is painting guide White Dwarf style. Normally I´ve got a mild dislike for such things but the theme was handy currently too.
    Off-topic: I find that those minis are not named good. With the word “Raumjäger” I associate a space fighter craft and not a space-borne solider.
    Ok, back to the mag. Next is an article which I think is rather ineptly named. One could use this as a fantasy house. But it´s rather a Tudor-style one – the title alone may history affine people turn this page over which would be rather sad. You can find this style of housing in many old town quarters.
    Next comes the scratch build Star Trek shuttle. I haven´t read this article yet but the pictures look promising.
    The issue concludes with Diane Sutherland´s wargaming widow column (ok, columns are even a topic this time) which always impresses me with it´s
    creativity and skill.

All in all, was very interesting again and I wasn´t dissapointed by a single issue since subscribing. As always, that´s my personal opinion but I think it´s always nice to get some feedback.

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

A decent issue up to the usual standards. My main complaint would be that the Great Expedition “part 2” article just rehashed the same eye candy as the first part in the previous issue (at which point it’s not really eye candy anymore). Yes, technically they were new photos, but there was nothing new to see in them, just slightly different camera angles of the same relatively basic (and quite static) set-up of figures and terrain. At the very least it could have been reconfigured to show a different scene made up from the same components. Perhaps some jungle fighting. “Urban” skirmishing amongst the colony buildings. Arquebusiers shooting from clifftops and rooftops. Something. Anything.

I’m not “anti” on the practice of dividing up articles into two-parters in general. In an ideal world I’d see it done less, but I understand that magazine editors in this hobby have to stretch the material available to them sometimes (from what I understand it helped keep Wargames Illustrated alive during that magazine’s “lean years”, even if there was a lot of grumbling from the reader base), and it makes sense anyway when an article shapes up to be 10+ pages of text and pictures, as the Great Expedition piece did. However, I have the same expectation of the pictures in part 2 as I have of the text: It has to be content that wasn’t already in part 1. Or it might as well be left out so the space can be used for some other, unrelated pictorial article that could inspire the readers some more.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by RhodericRhoderic.
    Phil DutréPhil Dutré
    Participant

If a reader expects a magazine to be of “immediate use” for his own wargaming interests (period X, scale Y, ruleset Z, and nothing else), then of course, you will never be interested in any magazine that aims at a broader audience. Then you indeed are better off subscribing to some well-targeted blogs.

However, I look in a magazine for inspiration for my own wargaming practices. Any scenario in any period can give you some good ideas; any painting article can teach you some new techniques; any modeling article can inspire you to try something yourself … and the review sections are useful to keep in touch with all sorts of new products you would otherwise not know about, unless you visit zillions of websites yourself every day.

That doesn’t mean different magazines cannot have different styles, and that’s perfectly ok. MW has a different style than WSS than WI. So pick the magazine that you like reading best …

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

BlackhatBlackhat
    Participant

I must admit that having supplied the entire Coat D’arms range to James (at his request) I had expected a more in depth look at Hobby paint ranges and paint choices and styles in general.  I was disappointed by the rather superficial single page…

Mike

Black Hat Miniatures -
    http://www.www.blackhat.co.uk/

Participant

I’m not “anti” on the practice of dividing up articles into two-parters in general.

I’m not a big fan of two parters either but – for various space reasons in the issue – this one had to be split. (The next issue has a Herward the Wake piece by Chris Swan and is in just one lump!)

I took all of the shots at Chris’ one afternoon for four (or maybe five!) games, and time – and indeed space (and light!) – were all a little tight so you are right: in an ideal world it should have all been in  one lump with the pics I’d taken.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Participant

(Ahm, Mr. Treadway, what are you wearing on this picture?)

Ah – I’m wearing an old Live Role Play costume (from 15 years ago). The think on my head is a lasertag sensor and I’m carrying a light up laser sword and wearing ‘armour’. Sat in the pump roomn of a secret nuclear bunker near London. Waiting for a Dalek…

Well it seemed a splendid idea at the time!

Here’s another shot

http://spacepatrol.werelords.com/postmission/jasper_photos/100157.jpg

From here: http://spacepatrol.werelords.com

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.