Home Forums General Books and Magazines Miniature Wargames issue 441

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John TreadawayJohn Treadaway
    Participant

Issue 441 of Miniature Wargames we have French Foreign Legion, Peninsular War, WWII, Age of Sigmar, Silent Death, Test of Honour and so much more!

On the cover we have the battle of Battle of the Nive: a Black Powder battle from the Peninsular War.

In Jon Sutherland’s Command Decision it’s Isandlwana from the Zulu perspective. The question is, can you beat Chelmsford?

In The Bridge at Kronstadt the Editor refights a classic Table Top Teaser in 15mm and the 27th century with Henry Hyde. And – to help with that – you might try Chocks Away! We have some self assembly 15mm Hangers free in the magazine that’d fit right in: yes there’s some more card models to assemble!

If you want historical scenarios, we have loads: in Send Three and Fourpence, Conrad Kinch presents All for the glory of France! a The Men who would be Kings scenario (with more to come next month!). In Test of Honour we have Vital Supplies: three exclusive scenarios for that rule set. And in Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing we have an undercover Bolt Action scenario.

In Silent Death rules author Joe McCullough tells us why he thinks that this space combat classic is very much alive three decades after its creation!
    In Blood in the Shires The Editor enters the Age of Sigmar and In the Zone, man! is a hands on with Osprey’s new Blue Book.
    If you want to scratch build with Gordon’s Crashed! we show you how to finish the terrain for a retro Space ship from an ikea table!

Club Spotlight features the Sheffield Wargames Club.

Finally, we have the review sections – Quartermaster for accessories and Defence in Depth for Figures and rules, plus we still have Forward Observer for news plus Recce for a book reviews.

Lastly we have a Salute to Stuart Asquith.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Thorsten FrankThorsten Frank
    Participant

Looks like another interesting issue. And thanks for doing something on Silent Death. I started a new project last year that gone in hiatus and maybe this brings me back on track with it.

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

Looks like good stuff.  I was especially impressed with last issues Flash Gordon ship how-to, it had a lot more detail than I had figured and a great result.  Nice to see the terrain tutorial is coming!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Looks like good stuff. I was especially impressed with last issues Flash Gordon ship how-to, it had a lot more detail than I had figured and a great result. Nice to see the terrain tutorial is coming!

Tony does a slightly less ‘SF’ build next month: a European Storehouse

Looks like another interesting issue. And thanks for doing something on Silent Death. I started a new project last year that gone in hiatus and maybe this brings me back on track with it.

It was fun playing a game with Joe and Kevin Dallimore: I just love the system from the first time I reviewed a copy three decades ago. I mention in the article that I’m working on a card driven ‘AI’ for a robot ‘Betafortress’ (or similar) that allows on or more ships/players to cooperate against a non player ship. When I have it finished I’ll do an article on that as well and make it available for folks.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Thorsten FrankThorsten Frank
    Participant

It was fun playing a game with Joe and Kevin Dallimore: I just love the system from the first time I reviewed a copy three decades ago. I mention in the article that I’m working on a card driven ‘AI’ for a robot ‘Betafortress’ (or similar) that allows on or more ships/players to cooperate against a non player ship. When I have it finished I’ll do an article on that as well and make it available for folks.

Fell in love with SD buying a box of the TNM edition. Sadly, I can count on my two hands the games I´ve played since then. It was always hard to find players and since the US decreased their forces it´s near impossible to find anyone even knowing the game.
    Don´t know if I recall that corrrectly but didn´t you write Hammer´s Slammers rules based on the SD rules 20 or so years back that were published in the MW?

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Participant

if I recall that corrrectly but didn´t you write Hammer´s Slammers rules

I did indeed and your timing is spot on: we put them on as a demo game at Salute 1999 (in 28mm).

I also did a Vietnam game called Low Level Hell based on the system too in ’97 and ’98 and the rules – such as they are  – are still available. There was an article in MW in ’97 about those as well, as I recall, plus I did a scenery build piece as well.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Participant

Looks like good stuff.

As you can see, one of your vehicles made it onto the front cover (and there’s more shots inside in the Bridge at Kronstadt piece)

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

As you can see, one of your vehicles made it onto the front cover (and there’s more shots inside in the Bridge at Kronstadt piece)

Squweeeee!

I also did a Vietnam game called Low Level Hell based on the system

I have long drooled over the pics of this game.  I believe a fella named Alan (handle was AlCal) helped out some, or at least posted tons of pictures on the old Fields Of Fire forum back in the day and just blew our minds.  Quite inspiring!  I would love to see you get back to The Nam at some point.  (reminds me, I need to do the same…)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I have long drooled over the pics of this game.

Thanks – that was a long time ago with wet photography and I can’t find the prints any more, much to my annoyance

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Phil DutréPhil Dutré
    Participant

Not enough fantasy in this issue!!!

😉

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.