Home Forums General Books and Magazines Miniature Wargames

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Keymaster

I have just been invited to write a short piece on wargaming and my take on it for Miniature Wargames magazine.

Thing is, does anyone really care what this particular middle aged white man thinks about the hobby?

deephorse
    Participant

To be honest Mike, and please don’t take offence, I don’t care what you think about the hobby.  But then I don’t care what anyone thinks about the hobby.  I don’t follow ‘fashions’ in wargaming, and I don’t go for the latest ‘ooh shiny’ in rules or models.  I made my choice of period, scale and rules many years ago, and no-one’s thoughts on the hobby are about to change those choices.

What could be of interest to me would be rules authors explaining their thinking behind the design and intent of their product.  It would be nice to have an answer to all those “what on earth were they thinking when they wrote that?” moments that I often have.

Less enthusiasm, please. This is Britain.

Mike
    Keymaster

No offence taken.
    I don’t suspect many people give a hoot what I think.

😀

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I enjoy reading other peoples take on the hobby, as long as they are not castigating or ranting against specific companies or genres.  We are all older sorts of folks, and thus typically very set in our ways, but I have found that this sort of article sometimes gives me something to chew on and the occasional “oh, I didn’t think of it that way…”.  This is especially true of the difference between European and American gaming experiences, and whether the author lives in large or small  population areas, if there is a club nearby, etc.

Scribble away, dear sir, I think it would be a good thing.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

I’m with Deephorse. I might have passing interest in how someone might have gotten started but not really any real interest what people think of the hobby. On the other hand if you had insight into how to be successful in the industry or opinions on the trends and where wargaming is heading then I might be interested in reading.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Yes, I am interested in what you think. I may not agree with you, but I’m interested to know all sorts of things about what you think of as wargaming.

That includes why you have written and used the rules you have, why you think ‘war’ gaming includes fantasy and SF (it clearly doesn’t – they are gaming but once you rewrite the parameters of reality… ) and where you think you see wargaming (of any sort!) going.

It won’t make me rush out to save the youth of today from Orcs, Ferengi, skirmish games, mad rule-figure tie ins etc, but I quite like to harrumph over the broadsheet in the morning and wonder what the Old Queen would have made of it all.

I don’t hanker after the days of trying to cast conversions in cuttlefish (I never believed this was a real thing, but thanks to the internet, apparently…) but I have an inveterate nosiness  and a desire to know what future generations will not believe was ‘a thing’ once upon a time, so please write on.

fairoaks024
    Participant

I’m always interested in more discussion articles in wargaming magazines

its nice picking up on other people’s journeys through the incredibly varied maze of all wargaming little alleys, dead ends and byways.

And I’m really pleased that John treadaway seems to be taking MW in that direction.

Whirlwind
    Participant

Sure, why wouldn’t it be interesting?  It is just part of the general conversation we have about our hobby.

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

John D Salt
    Participant

I don’t hanker after the days of trying to cast conversions in cuttlefish (I never believed this was a real thing, but thanks to the internet, apparently…) but I have an inveterate nosiness

Well I never expected that. Stimulated by invertebrate nosiness, I had a quick google, which fished up this piece https://www.ganoksin.com/article/cuttlefish-casting-method/ on the use of cuttlebones in moulding, so I am logically compelled to admit that it is A Thing. Why exactly one would wish to use such a thing in preference to conventional casting materials escapes me, so without casting any doubt on its basic thingitude I beg leave to doubt whether it is a sensible thing.

One of the handy hints in the linked article is easily the daftest thing I’ve read so far today:

“The model is given shape with hammers, files and any other tool necessary.”

I suppose that’s the logical follow-on to the advice that you can make a sculpture of an elephant by taking a piece of marble, and cutting away all the bits that don’t look like an elephant.

All the best,

John.

John D Salt
    Participant

Count me in with Deephorse and Thomaston. I go along with Richard Feynman: “What do you care what other people think?”, and in general I don’t give a frittered fig for anyone’s opinion about anything, unless they can back it up with facts and argument. There is a well-known proverb about everyone having an opinion, which I’m sure you all know.

What would be vastly more interesting to me would be your account of how TWW came to be set up, what went well and what went badly, how hard it is to make an honest shilling out of wargaming, and your best tips and tricks on how to do it. Yes, such an account might upset a few people associated with the page that shall not be mentioned, but I don’t think that should stop such matters being ventilated in a respected, long-standing publication like MW. And, whatever the value of your experience in wargaming, fantasy game design, figure sculpting and other such stuff, you are very definitely the world’s leading expert on TWW.

All the best,

John.

Patrice
    Participant

Thing is, does anyone really care what this particular middle aged white man thinks about the hobby?

Well …yes.

You run a forum about wargaming. So it’s quite natural that wargaming magazines would ask you to talk about it, sometimes. As magazines about music, culture, etc. ask musicians and actors to write about what they do; and political magazines ask politicians to write things, etc. That’s how it works. Wargaming is no different.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

ian pillay
    Participant

Why not? I think it’s a great idea. You’ve taken your hobby and turned into two businesses, Angel Barracks and. Croms Anvil. You’ve also written a couple of sets of rules and sculpted your own miniatures, I think that’s worth a page or two.

Tally-Ho!

Steve Johnson
    Participant

I always found Richard Clark’s and Rick Priestley’s articles interesting, so why not yours?

Guy Farrish
    Participant

PS Mike, when I said ‘I may not agree with you’ the emphasis was on ‘may’, a hypothetical position – you know that right? It wasn’t a declaration of opposition!

Mike
    Keymaster

PS Mike, when I said ‘I may not agree with you’ the emphasis was on ‘may’, a hypothetical position – you know that right? It wasn’t a declaration of opposition!

Yeah, all good.
    It is also OK if you disagree with everything I say.

Logain
    Participant

Well I’m sure it depends on the readership demographics…there are probably a fair number of white male middle aged readers I’d guess.
    I think TWW is a great resource that a lot of folks might not know about.

Also think the small scale, skirmish gaming can use as much exposure as possible, especially as an alternative to the mainstream games. I’ve always appreciated how your lines are tightly tied to a single theme.

Norm S
    Participant

I’m not a huge fan of opinion pieces / columns in magazines, preferring to see extra scenarios etc instead.  The Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy magazine used to have 3 such columns, I note this issue is down to 2 (these columns are the only reason why I won’t subscribe). I had not noticed Miniature Wargames doing this sort of thing before. I hope it is not a reflection of them needing filler, but then I also appreciate that they must go from month to month, desperate for articles and as an audience, that falls on our shoulders really. Perhaps we should all send something to one of the magazines, even something like a book review.

However, some people within the hobby are particularly well placed to make some observations about the hobby itself. For example in the recent issue of Miniature Wargames, the editor was able to say that every trader he had spoken to has been doing better business during the recent months of Covid problems and this becomes interesting against a background of no shows, which I had assumed had a direct correlation to a trader’s end of year balance.

From your perspective Mike, your insight into building and running a forum is pretty unique and interesting, so I could see that working.

So those kind of things were people can spot trends etc are of interest (rather than apparent navel-gazing), but it strikes me that those articles need to be kept fairly short otherwise they can start to look like filler.

I suppose the internet and forums gives us all a voice (like now, for me!) and in some respects I am left feeling these days ‘does a magazine really need to do that as well’.

Norm S
    Participant

I’m not a huge fan of opinion pieces / columns in magazines, preferring to see extra scenarios etc instead.  The Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy magazine used to have 3 such columns, I note the latest issue (which I bought at a newsagent) is down to 2 (these columns are the only reason why I won’t subscribe). I had not noticed Miniature Wargames doing this sort of thing before. I hope it is not a reflection of them needing filler, but then I also appreciate that they must go from month to month, desperate for articles and as an audience, that falls on our shoulders really. Perhaps we should all send something to one of the magazines, even something like a book review.

However, some people within the hobby are particularly well placed to make some observations about the hobby itself. For example in the recent issue of Miniature Wargames, the editor was able to say that every trader he had spoken to has been doing better business during the recent months of Covid problems and this becomes interesting against a background of no shows, which I had assumed had a direct correlation to a trader’s end of year balance.

From your perspective Mike, your insight into building and running a forum is pretty unique and interesting, so I could see that working.

So those kind of things were people can spot trends etc are of interest (rather than apparent navel-gazing), but it strikes me that those articles need to be kept fairly short otherwise they can start to look like filler.

I suppose the internet and forums gives us all a voice (like now, for me!) and in some respects I am left feeling these days ‘does a magazine really need to do that as well’.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Hmmm, you posted twice Norm! Interestingly I don’t find the scenarios of much interest in the magazines, much preferring the opinion pieces. But as it’s been some time since I subscribed to any I can’t say if they’re beter or worse than they used to be.

Phil Dutré
    Participant

I think magazines should have opinion articles (I really like them), but with *interesting* opinions 😉

So no ‘I like wargaming because I can meet with my friends’ or yet another ‘I started wargaming with Airfix figures.’ … yawn, boring, booh!
    But yes to: ‘I like this not-well-known period because of ..’ or ‘In my gaming group we do X which really has spiced up our games …’

In other words, tell about things that you think are special or unique about how you approach the hobby. Or state a more radical opinion that can others some insights or give something to think about.

The best opinion pieces are those that make you reflect about how you as reader approach your own hobby.

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

irishserb
    Participant

Mike, I would be interested in your opinion piece, and would likely buy the issue for your opinion, than for a scenario, review, or rules discussion.

John Treadaway
    Participant

Well …yes. You run a forum about wargaming. So it’s quite natural that wargaming magazines would ask you to talk about it, sometimes. As magazines about music, culture, etc. ask musicians and actors to write about what they do; and political magazines ask politicians to write things, etc. That’s how it works. Wargaming is no different.

If ever there was an indicator of how a single magazine can’t please all of the people all the time (thanks John Lydgate) this is it!

I asked Mike, same as I have asked a swathe of other folks in the industry: people who have, as I put it to him, made a significant contribution to the hobby, because I want their slant. For those who don’t regularly take the mag, fear not: it’s not a column (or two or three), it’s one page by a single (largely non-repeated) luminary of the hobby each month. This months, for example, it’s by Colin Rumford and Richard Marsh: the two chaps behind the Rapid Fire rule system.

I largely agree with Phil D’s comments.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    deephorse
    Participant

Colin Rumford and Richard Marsh you say?  In that case I must find a copy!

John Treadaway
    Participant

I try to have interesting people every month!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    General Slade
    Participant

I have just been invited to write a short piece on wargaming and my take on it for Miniature Wargames magazine. Thing is, does anyone really care what this particular middle aged white man thinks about the hobby?

I’m very late to the party on this one so you may well have already written the article but I for one would be very interested in what you have to say.  For one thing you have done something that I have always wanted to do but almost certainly never will do: you have commissioned your own range of wargaming figures.  I would love to know how you went about this – how you found sculptors, what the design process was, how much it cost, what the pitfalls were.  It is a side of the business I know next to nothing about and I would be fascinated to read an article by someone who has first-hand experience.

Mike
    Keymaster

Alas the article had a word limit so I could not have covered that.
    Here however….

General Slade
    Participant

Alas the article had a word limit so I could not have covered that. Here however….

I would love to read about it here.  But you could also pitch it as a follow up article for Miniature Wargames.  That way you get a penny for your thoughts (and I might even buy the magazine – which I must confess is something I have never done).

Mike
    Keymaster

I will do it here, over the next few days..

😀

General Slade
    Participant

I will do it here, over the next few days.. 😀

Excellent.  I shall look forward to it.  It will fuel my daydreams about commissioning my own range of figures (which will look exactly like 2nd gen Minifigs).

kevin halloran
    Participant

I have never read a wargaming magazine.  I am not interested one jot in anyone’s opinions including my own.  I do a little work on an obscure area of history and repeatedly ask that people send me their evidence and keep their opinions to themselves.  I only ever read the first couple of sentences of any email or forum post.  Rules are a chore and designers should in my view be limited to six or seven pages; a plethora of badly written rules is the main reason why I’m more a collector than a player these days.  On another forum there are regular interviews with “Games Designer of the Month” or some such.  I have never read them as I have no interest in how some guy’s boyhood in Milwaukee or wherever fueled a lifelong interest in hex and counter.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I have never read a wargaming magazine. I am not interested one jot in anyone’s opinions including my own. I do a little work on an obscure area of history and repeatedly ask that people send me their evidence and keep their opinions to themselves. I only ever read the first couple of sentences of any email or forum post. Rules are a chore and designers should in my view be limited to six or seven pages; a plethora of badly written rules is the main reason why I’m more a collector than a player these days. On another forum there are regular interviews with “Games Designer of the Month” or some such. I have never read them as I have no interest in how some guy’s boyhood in Milwaukee or wherever fueled a lifelong interest in hex and counter.

Are you sure your last name isn’t Kiley?

🙂

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

deephorse
    Participant

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Mike
    Keymaster

Anywho…

I have never read a wargaming magazine. I am not interested one jot in anyone’s opinions including my own. I do a little work on an obscure area of history and repeatedly ask that people send me their evidence and keep their opinions to themselves. I only ever read the first couple of sentences of any email or forum post. Rules are a chore and designers should in my view be limited to six or seven pages; a plethora of badly written rules is the main reason why I’m more a collector than a player these days. On another forum there are regular interviews with “Games Designer of the Month” or some such. I have never read them as I have no interest in how some guy’s boyhood in Milwaukee or wherever fueled a lifelong interest in hex and counter.

It was Oshkosh.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Send not for whom the bell tolls…

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Send not for whom the bell tolls…

‘Send not to know…’. ‘Often rendered as ‘Ask not…’.

I did  the metaphysical guys at A Level. It makes one pedantic.  🙂

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Quite right too.

Good to see you were awake at the back of the class Sage.

Always think and read back before posting.

I suspect the word ‘Doh!’ is appropriate

John Treadaway
    Participant

I have never read a wargaming magazine… I only ever read the first couple of sentences of any email or forum post

I’ll keep it short then: not really our target audience…

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Mike Headden
    Participant

There was a bloke, from Cornwall, that I used to chat to online who, when I complained about the inanity or transparently misleading nature of an advert would post a one word reply.

YANTTA!

I took this to be Cornish and after a few times asked what the translation was.

“Translation?” he replied,”It’s not Cornish, it’s an acronym – You Are Not The Target Audience.” 🙂

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

kevin halloran
    Participant

I’ll keep it short then: not really our target audience…

The idea that one should be an audience, indeed a target audience, has no appeal to me.  Sorry, but there you go.  I’m interested in war, I’m interested in history, I’m interested in the history of war but sadly I’m not particularly interested in the egotistical ramblings of wargame designers or opinions of anyone.  Opinions are invariably wrong and they carry weight not on their intrinsic merit but on the popularity of those who hold them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.