Home Forums General Books and Magazines Miniatures Wargames rip-off

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I recently claimed I was going to cancel my Miniatures Wargames subscription due to the fact that I am not at all pleased with the change in editors. Apparently, MW cancleed my subscription for me, even though I never officially told them to.

Fair enough. Saved me some work.

Turns out, however, that if you are not subscribed, you lose access to all the numbers of MW that you actually bought — in my case, years of material

I find this to be something akin to theft.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

kyoteblue
    Participant

That sucks.

Where did you claim to cancel it ?

Seems a bit odd for them to do it for you.

Mike
    Keymaster

The ones you got when subscribed were never available to download, just to view online?

MartinR
    Participant

tbh, that is usually what happens with online content if you cancel your account, unless you have downloaded it already.

They aren’t going to host it for you for free.

Have a look at what happens to Kindle content if you cancel your Amazon account….

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

zippyfusenet
    Participant

There’s one reason I don’t rely so much on the cloud. Not only do I download something if I really want it, I print it out, three-hole punch it and put it on a shelf in a binder. ‘Cuz, you know, the first thing the Alien Invaders will do is EMP us, and there go all my emails.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Rhoderic
    Participant

Was your digital subscription through Exact Editions? Mine was when I was a subscriber a while ago (ending a few months ago, but before the editorial changes became known), and that gave me access to back issues. These – as well as the current issue of the month – were only hosted online via the Exact Editions website and could only be accessed in a way that deliberately made saving them to my hard drive a laborious process. In fairness, it was a cheap subscription (£8 for three months) so I was alright with it.

My impression is that MW have now ended their partnership with Exact Editions (might this be the reason your subscription was canceled for you?). You now have to get your digital subscription via the Tabletop Gaming website and as far as I can tell that doesn’t include any access to back issues. I think they’ve gone over to the same business model as WSS, where each back issue has to be bought separately. They also don’t seem to go further back than issue 400.

I e-mailed them to ask about it. They never replied.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Rhoderic.

I think the bigger issue is that they cancelled the subscription for him so he never got a chance to look at the old copies hosted or not.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Yes, but I’m wondering if it might not have been the case that all subscriptions via Exact Editions are being ended – or rather, not renewed after having run their course – because MW has ended its business arrangement with Exact Editions. This scenario would likely entail that there’s been some notice that Thaddeus Blanchette missed (maybe through no fault of his own, or maybe there was no notice at all and Exact Editions are just really bad at their job).

This is only speculation on my part, but I’m just offering a possible alternative explanation to what might have happened. I agree it sounds very odd for MW/EE to have unilaterally cancelled his subscription only because he mentioned through unofficial channels that he wanted to cancel it, but never notified them officially. So it’s natural to consider possible alternative explanations.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Could be. All I know is that I logged on one day and nothing was there. This was shortly after I made it publically known that I’d be cancelling my subscription, so I just assumed that was the reason why.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Rhoderic
    Participant

Then I suppose the question is, how long of a subscription had you last paid for and when? My last automatic renewal would have been on June 25, if I hadn’t cancelled it a few days before then. But that would only have been another 3-month subscription. I suspect that a longer subscription would not have been possible at that point, but that’s just speculation and I’m quite confused about the whole situation myself. (And maybe there were only ever 3-month subscriptions to begin with, I can’t remember.)

I can relate to and sympathise with the frustration of losing all those back issues. It was part of the deal that back issues only be accessible on the EE website while one was a subscriber and not afterwards, but it’s very easy to overlook or miss that fact. I set out to save them on my hard drive (I don’t see how that could be illegal in any way), but EE deliberately made it tedious work (each page had to be saved as a separate JPG) so I only got a few issues before running out of steam. I thought I could just get a new subscription later on when I had the time and energy to save the rest of the issues, but I hadn’t anticipated for MW to just change its business model and stop distributing the digital version via EE. Now all those digital back issues don’t seem to be anywhere, except possibly/probably on the hard drives of other subscribers who went to the effort of saving them page by page.

I hate the idea that I have to hoard published hobby content “just to be on the safe side” out of fear that it will become unavailable again. The thought of information, once published, dropping off the face of the earth again really bothers me.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

The work of the Recdep at Minitrue is getting easier by the day

You were never subscribed to Miniwargs, there has never been a subscription service for Miniwargs.

Bandit
    Participant

The ones you got when subscribed were never available to download, just to view online?

That was my first thought as well, if you view all the content online, your subscription is for that access, when you stop subscribing, you stop receiving access. No different from HBO Now, Netflix, iTunes Match, etc…

If you subscribe to a “pay to play” service, when you stop subscribing, you don’t get to pay any more, it isn’t theft, it is the nature of the thing.

If in fact the service allowed you to download the files for off-line viewing, and your subscription was cancelled without you actually notifying anyone, that seems a valid complaint and dispute.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.