Home Forums Air and Sea Air Missile Threat – AAR

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    MattH
    Participant

A recent game of Missile Threat set in the Sinai Desert during the Six Day War.

As it appears to be not the done thing round here to post extensive AARs directly to the forum, I set up a blog and posted it there:

http://shellsplash.blogspot.com/2018/08/furball-over-sinai.html?view=classic

Mike
    Keymaster

As it appears to be not the done thing round here to post extensive AARs directly to the forum

I personally would prefer that, means less things to click on and more eye candy here.
    There certainly are plenty of full reports on TWW, but maybe hidden away in areas of less interest to you?

Either way, thanks for posting!

Mike
    Keymaster

PS: I can’t use your blog 🙁

I can’t scroll down as there is a pop up in the way, when I get close to the scroll bar the pop up shoots out..

I can use the arrow at the bottom to scroll down, but then can’t scroll back up using the top arrows for the same reason.

🙁

MattH
    Participant

Hmmm, I think I see what you mean, I hadn’t noticed because I always just use my mousewheel for scrolling. Thanks for pointing it out, I’ll see what i can do to fix it. I’m new to this blogging lark!

As it appears to be not the done thing round here to post extensive AARs directly to the forum

I personally would prefer that, means less things to click on and more eye candy here. There certainly are plenty of full reports on TWW, but maybe hidden away in areas of less interest to you? Either way, thanks for posting!

OK, that’s good to know. I’ve lurked here for a while and also read the recent thread regarding blogs, and my impression is that the vast majority of posters seem to embed a couple of photos and then link to a blog. In some ways I think I prefer posting direct to a forum as I think it’s more conversational, but it depends I guess. Do you prefer pictures to be hosted elsewhere and embedded or uploaded directlt to TWW?

Mike
    Keymaster

Do you prefer pictures to be hosted elsewhere and embedded or uploaded directly to TWW?

Don’t mind.
    The possible downside of elsewhere is if that site goes down the images won’t show up here, and of course other sites need to be secure or the images won’t show up here as TWW is HTTPS.
    The upside of elsewhere is of course less server strain here!

In some ways I think I prefer posting direct to a forum as I think it’s more conversational

I think that too.
    🙂

cmnash
    Participant

Wherever it is – thanks for sharing!  I really like the crashed plane – nicely done

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Youch, that was essentially a slaughter.  Great AAR, thanks for posting!  And I too like your crashed planes.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

MattH
    Participant

Yeah, Missile Threat is a very bloody game, and the Israelis had bad dice rolls.

The explosions didn’t really come out as well as I’d hoped. They’re really meant to be bomb effects, but I put them in there for the lols. I think they need some more colour, they sort of look like weird alien rock formations at the moment.

I’m thinking it’d be nice to make some special stands with the magnet arranged so the plane points downward, and a spiral of flames and smoke coming out the back. Perhaps some little guys on parachutes…

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Yeah, Missile Threat is a very bloody game, and the Israelis had bad dice rolls. The explosions didn’t really come out as well as I’d hoped. They’re really meant to be bomb effects, but I put them in there for the lols. I think they need some more colour,

Whatever floats your boat, but I think they do just fine as is!  Simple and they get the point across.  I once went mad trying to get little explosive effects for mortars, artillery, WP rounds, bombs, and napalm to look as realistic as possible.  In the end it wasn’t really necessary as most players had never seen those sorts of things in real life, so thought that the napalm looked like a “funny caterpillar with tentacles arcing out the front”, and that the WP marker was an albino alien spider.  Doh!

MattH
    Participant

Ha ha! Many years ago the club I was a member of put on a 20mm Vietnam demo game at a show. The climax involved a 1/72 Phantom dropping napalm in the shape of two shoe boxes covered in cotton wool and sprayed red/yellow. It looked ridiculous but also brilliant.

MattH
    Participant
    Mike
    Keymaster

That looks so cool.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Beuty pic!

That mission was bloody, ouch!

Maybe another option for the recon: assign each element/type a numerical value (like a light AAA might be a 5 as it is easily hidden, a SAM site might be a 2 because they are more difficult to hide) .  Each side gets a number of dice equal to the recon points they put in, when rolled count up the number of dice that exceed your opponents results.  If you score 3 more than your opponent then he must reveal/place all elements with a value of 3 or more.  Modifiers to the rolls could be made easily based upon weather, recon skills, etc.

Thomaston
    Participant

Another bad one for the Israeli. I like the Mystere.

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

MattH
    Participant

Maybe another option for the recon: assign each element/type a numerical value (like a light AAA might be a 5 as it is easily hidden, a SAM site might be a 2 because they are more difficult to hide) . Each side gets a number of dice equal to the recon points they put in, when rolled count up the number of dice that exceed your opponents results. If you score 3 more than your opponent then he must reveal/place all elements with a value of 3 or more. Modifiers to the rolls could be made easily based upon weather, recon skills, etc.

That’s a clever mechanic, I like it. I hadn’t thought of using a dice pool method, but it makes sense, and gives players something to spend unused points on.

hammurabi70
    Participant

OK, that’s good to know. I’ve lurked here for a while and also read the recent thread regarding blogs, and my impression is that the vast majority of posters seem to embed a couple of photos and then link to a blog. In some ways I think I prefer posting direct to a forum as I think it’s more conversational, but it depends I guess. Do you prefer pictures to be hosted elsewhere and embedded or uploaded directly to TWW?

My preference is a link to a blog but it depends if you have a blog.  Many people do and it makes a lot of sense that if you are going to post on several forums to have it displayed at one location and then post an introduction with links at each site.  People can still respond on the forum.

I love the missiles: how did you do those?

6mm Group Forum: https://groups.io/g/6mm
    2mm Group Forum: https://groups.io/g/2mm

MattH
    Participant

I made a post on the Missile Threat forum a while back on how to make the missiles, and attaching them to stands with magnets.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.