Home Forums Ambush Alley Games Force on Force Mixed weapons vs vechiles

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This is the scenario.  I have 6 figs with small arms and 1 fig with dog firing at vehicle.  Combined they score 2 hits.  The damage dice is now D10.  Do I subtract 2 from damage roll due to small arms or do I not from the rpg hit?

Participant

Sorry auto correct dog should read rpg

Keymaster

Ha ha. I did wonder.

Participant

If you look at the table on the bottom of page 86 you will see that small arms have no effect against Light Class or higher vehicles.   Also on page 86 you will see that the -2 only applies to Infantry Support Weapons without an AT value (LMG, GPMG, AGL, see page 134).

Let’s say your unit is firing at an M2A1 Bradley, a Light vehicle, your rifles would have no effect.  You would only roll Firepower dice for the RPG (AP:3, AT:2).  If the shot was from the side, then the Bradley would get 2D8 defense dice, assuming no other modifiers for moving, cover, etc.

Your unit rolls 2D10 (assuming Troop Quality of D10) Firepower Dice, and the Bradley rolls 2D8 Defense Dice.  If your unit gets lucky and scores 2 hits then you go to the Vehicle Damage table on page 82.  An RPG is considered a Light Gun.  You roll 1D8, and lets say you get a 3.  The vehicle is now at half movement.  For the second damage roll you apply a +1 die shift.  Your second damage roll will be a 1D10.  Let’s say you roll an 8 on the second roll, the vehicle blows up.

Participant

I’m fine with that but…assume that in the same scenario that the vehicle is a softskin.   Here your small arms and rpg have an effect.  What’s the dice modifier for damage?

Participant

The HE (anti personnel) version of the RPG is 2D while the AT (armour piercing) is 3D.

Participant

That’s not the damage modifier. Page 86: “all infantry support weapons without an At value recieve a -2 on their dice roll when rolling on vehicle damage table”. On page 87 “weapons with an At rating do not suffer from the -2”.  I fire 6 rifle and 1 rpg at a softskin.  I get two hit.  I’m now rolling 1d10 on damage table.  The question is: is this minus -2 or not?

Participant

I still hold you need to know if the RPG is an HE or AT. It looks like if HE vs light (armoured) vehicles plus then the -2 would apply. If against soft skin or up-armoured then no -2 as I read it.

Participant

I’m fine with that but…assume that in the same scenario that the vehicle is a softskin. Here your small arms and rpg have an effect. What’s the dice modifier for damage?

The paragraph at the bottom of page 86 says, “Fire at Soft Skin vehicles is resolved in the same way as an attack against an infantry unit.”  So if your unit is firing at a soft skin vehicle, your Small Arms would get their full Firepower dice (per the table on page 86).  In this case it would be 6 + 2 (assuming an RPG w/Anti-Tank Warhead, and assuming the unit did not move) = 8.

If your unit was firing at a Humvee, you would roll 8D10 Firepower dice against the Humvee’s 2D6 Defense dice (assuming no modifiers for movement or cover).

Then however many hits you score, you roll on the Soft-Skin Vehicle Class Damage Table, applying a +1 die shift for each successful hit die after the first.  Basically, unless you roll really badly, you would shred the Humvee.

As for the -2, as I interpret the section on “AFVS And Infantry”, this only applies to non-AT support weapons firing at Light Class or higher vehicles.  For example, if your unit had a GPMG (AP:2/AT:0(M)) you would get full FP vs. a soft skin vehicle, but you would only get 1/2 FP for firing at a Light vehicle.  If you manged to score a hit you would roll 1D8-2 on the Light Vehicle Class Damage Table, Light Gun column.

Participant

The HE (anti personnel) version of the RPG is 2D while the AT (armour piercing) is 3D.

Per the weapons tables on page 134, there are three types of RPGs listed:

RPG w/Anti-Personnel Warhead – AP:2/AT:1 (M)
    RPG w/Anti-Tank Warhead  – AP:3/AT:2 (M)
    RPG w/Improved Anti-Tank Warhead – AP:3/AT:3 (M)

I still hold you need to know if the RPG is an HE or AT. It looks like if HE vs light (armoured) vehicles plus then the -2 would apply. If against soft skin or up-armoured then no -2 as I read it.

As all three have AT values listed, none would suffer the -2 damage penalty against Light Class and higher vehicles.

Participant

madman wrote:

As all three have AT values listed, none would suffer the -2 damage penalty against Light Class and higher vehicles.

Still getting my head around FoF as we have been playing Ambush Alley up until now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.