Home Forums General General Model Prep

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I have recently purchased some oldhammer models and after stripping the paint I discovered that zero prep had been done to the models.
    Mould lines were visible, flash was left on, and casting vents/nubs were still present, this seems very odd to me, especially as the paint jobs where not too bad in terms of ability.
    Why spend presumably hours painting a figure but not spending a minute or two getting the figure ready for painting?

I always prep and when the figures are primed if I spot more bits that need attention, then I will do it.

Participant

if I spot more bits that attention,

If?  

You’re a better man than I.  While I’m the middle of printing the figure, I’m always spotting bits or flash I missed when prepping for priming.  Put down the brush, pick up a knife, carve off the flash, grab another brush, slop on some white – not primer, but it’s better than painting over bare metal and then resume regular operations.

That’s my standard painting procedure at any rate.

Participant

I hate this stage of model prep, I think it dates way back to the older casts with hard metal or lines down faces.

I remember snapping a #11 blade and the end sticking in me without getting the lump off the model and having to clean files when they got gummed up never made for a happy day.

Much happier with plastic (not resin) any day 🙂

… I’m always spotting bits or flash I missed when prepping for priming. Put down the brush, pick up a knife, carve off the flash…

+1 to this!

…grab another brush, slop on some white – not primer…

Vallejo game color white 002 is a great primer and can be used as a normal bright white and works fine as a patch with the grey I normally use (ie no real contrast with normal paints).

Participant

Agree- but even I’ve taken shortcuts when the irksome length of cleaning got on top of me.

Since the ’90s passed, this has been the mode of ‘new’ 25mm Minifigs too- not just because I’m doing customisation a lot of the time, but casting has become worse and worse. Don’t even bother complaining any more… now I do a lot smaller batches, command figures a couple at a time… horses first often-  more art, less grind.
    -d

Participant

I hate this stage of model prep, I think it dates way back to the older casts with hard metal or lines down faces. I remember snapping a #11 blade and the end sticking in me without getting the lump off the model and having to clean files when they got gummed up never made for a happy day.

Me too, and it’s not just older casts some newer ranges suffer too. Even my favourite, Front Rank figures, need a little cleaning up. 🙂

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

If it’s going to be visible from three feet away then it gets cleaned off as I prep the figures and glue them to the painting stick.

Once on the stick and sprayed with undercoat they are what they are. Lets get them painted and on the table.

I’m a figure collector (hoarder, tbph) first, a gamer second and a painter waaaaay last.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

Stripping flash is also my least favourite job, particularly on some soft plastic figures which are apparently made of bendy soap, which turns into wispy threads of unremoveable plastic should you dare scrape it instead of cutting it. Yes HaT, I mean you.

Tbh I just strip off the most obvious flash, on helmets and upper arms generally, the rest just vanishes under layers of paint and is invisible at normal gaming distances.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

While I sympathize with the faff involved with cleaning castings, it has always been a thing one has had to do, at least AFAICR; getting old, but I don’t think the past was better.

IMNSHO most of things were better cast back then is arguable. Some were, some weren’t.

There again, while I’m a gamer, I have and always have been a modeller. So, cleaning up models is just part of the hobby.

My advice, try an enjoy the process, then the time will pass quicker too.

A hobby is fun, if it’s not then either this is not the right hobby for you, or perhaps step back and stop grumbling.

One is good, more is better
    http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

Keymaster

or perhaps step back and stop grumbling.

What if grumbling is part of the hobby too?  😀

Participant

or perhaps step back and stop grumbling.

What if grumbling is part of the hobby too? 😀

Now I have a bus pass and state pension it’s my duty nah mission to grumble about everything😂.

Participant

Model prep is time consuming but I find it relaxing, maybe I am weird.

Participant

Model prep is time consuming but I find it relaxing, maybe I am weird.

On the internet everyone is somebody’s weirdo!

Embrace the weird! It’s what makes each one of us the special snowflakes that we all are.

As the saying goes, be yourself, everyone else is taken! 🙂

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

This might be of interest to those commenting here:

“This weekend I prepared a pack of 15 mm Illyrian cavalry and much to my dismay I found:”

https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/2024/05/forged-in-battle-cautionary-tale.html

Keymaster

Sounds like a right PITA.
    I guess with models, once your statutory time to return is up, it is hard to argue the case to send them back on grounds of not being fit for purpose, as what is their actual purpose.

First time buying from them?

Participant

Now I have a bus pass and state pension it’s my duty nah mission to grumble about everything😂.

Keep up the good work! We pensioners have to keep the kids on their toes.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

Sounds like a right PITA. I guess with models, once your statutory time to return is up, it is hard to argue the case to send them back on grounds of not being fit for purpose, as what is their actual purpose. First time buying from them?

Sounds just like the crap we put up with in ye olden days. You’d think things would be better now.

Participant

Sounds like a right PITA.

Yes it was: see below. In fairness they always put an extra figure in their packs to allow for mis-casts so the broken spear wasn’t such a big deal.

I guess with models, once your statutory time to return is up, it is hard to argue the case to send them back on grounds of not being fit for purpose, as what is their actual purpose.

I was only surprised by the tail falling off. I’ve seen each problem before just not all in one pack and so frequent.

Next time I will check the pack as soon as I can and send stuff back.

First time buying from them?

Afraid not. I have a full Arab army of theirs. The horses in the Dark Age range were even worse with a higher percentage of poses with crossed fore legs. 10 out of 12 is “good” by their standards.

The horse moulds are shot as they are used for all cavalry in their extensive ancients range. Plus the figures have been pulled from the mould too early and they have warped in the process. Not a good combination. It’s also why the didn’t balance on their bases.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.