Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Modelling clay

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I had someone ask me the following. Since I don’t have a great deal of experience using it. Thought I’ll ask on here and what some of you folks think.

I tend to have trouble with some of my basing where the modelling clay dries out and cracks over the years. Any advice? Is it just a simple case of me not using it wet enough as I make the base do you think, or does it always happen with modelling clay sooner or later?

Keymaster

Don’t use clay as such for basing, but when I have used miliput it lasts years all nice and crack free.
    It may be it is too wet?
    If it fits just right then when the moisture is gone it will shrink and crack, the more moisture the more the shrinking?

Participant

Milliput is brilliant until/unless you want to rebase, when it becomes somewhere between difficult and impossible to remove without scuffing the model’s paint. After multiple experiments and nearly as many failures I have settled upon diy type ready mixed filler, which is available in brown and grey, and so is less likely than white to look terrible if chipped.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

Yeah, I’ve used miliput without problems. Cracking is usually to do with drying out and movement. But have never had used clay. However, I do find miliput and green sticky and hard to use.

Participant

I have settled upon diy type ready mixed filler,

That is what I tend to used. Sometimes a cheap premixed tub does the job. However, being a decorator I have a van full of various fillers and Troupet do a professional range of fillers. Murex is especially good, goes off rock hard. Plus you can get a range of really flexible fillers. Not that I’ve had a need for these.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.