Home Forums WWII Moderately Small Ground Combat Project

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Just Jack 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

So I’ve been working on some 10mm WWII US and German troops from Pendraken to play some tiny skirmish games.  What I’m looking at is finally getting back to my “All Americans” campaign (after five years!); previously I played ten games following an 82nd Airborne Division rifle platoon in Sicily, and another two in Italy.  You can find them here, on a new blog I created (or re-purposed, but whatever):
    https://hakunamatatawars.blogspot.com/search/label/All%20American

Anyway, I’m looking to get back into that, so I took these troops, got them painted up, and wanted to share them.  As usual, they’re not beautiful, but they’re mine, and they’ll do what I need them to do.  I actually spent a really long time on these guys; rather than my normal block painting, base, and wash, I didn’t base them and didn’t wash them.  I was going for a particular look, so I did a blacklining job on them.  Hope they look decent.

An American rifleman armed with an M-1 Carbine.

And how about a bazooka?

The US machine gun team.

A German Mauser-armed rifleman.

A German MG-42 team.

And the German Panzerschreck team.

To see a bunch more pics, please check the blog at:
    https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2019/07/moderately-small-ground-combat-project.html

Well, that’s them, let me know what you think.  I’m pumped to play some games, gotta figure out what I’m going to do about terrain…

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

The figures look kinda chunky but good paint jobs Jack.

Thomaston
    Participant

Is this method faster than your usual method? In the big photo with all of them I thought they had an ink wash.

Tired is enough.

Just Jack
    Participant

John – Sure, but I like them chunky 😉 And please keep in mind that they’re 10mm troops, so the pics are considerably larger than real life. Which hopefully explains those shaky lines…

Thomaston – Here we go, making fun of my stuff ‘cause I’m not as talented as you are, hope you’re proud! ;

In all seriousness, negative, that’s my good stuff.  My norm is to block paint and wash, this blacklining is theoretically to make them look better, and takes ten times as long!  If you go and look at the WWII in the Pacific stuff I posted a few days ago, this project took me as long as it did to paint all those Marines, or all those Japanese.

Pathetic, no?  All to try and be beautiful like you 😉

V/R,

Jack

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I bet they look fantastic form table height, that sort of black lining usually looks so much better at distance than normal inkwash technique.  Your time has probably been well spent, especially if you like it better.

Can’t wait to see some Shermans burning!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

I wasn’t making fun. They blended pretty well in the big photo I thought I was looking at the wrong post until I saw the close up photos.

Maybe becaue I get that dark overall color (like the first photo) whenever I use ink.

Edit: And I don’t think I’m talented, I’ve been trying to paint minis for maybe neatly 20 years and only been happy with mmy effort in the last 3-4 years. I didn’t even understand how to mix colors until maybe a year or two ago.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Thomaston.

Tired is enough.

Just Jack
    Participant

Darby – Thanks man, I appreciate it, though I’d rather forgo the burning Shermans! 😉  Probably won’t be too many Shermans around for this project anyway, I’m looking at playing ‘true’ skirmish games, five or six guys per side, probably no vehicles (unless they’re abandoned or already destroyed), on a 12″ x 12″ board.

Thomaston – Damn man, now I feel like a heel.  Tone can be hard to discern on the internet, but you’ve misinterpreted: I know you weren’t making fun of me, I was just being a wiseass.  Regarding talent, maybe you weren’t before, but I think you’ve cracked the code.  And mostly it’s not the figures I’m talking about; I think I’ve got a bit of talent when it comes to painting figures (not a lot, but some), but it’s your terrain that really sets you apart.  And that is definitely talent!  I know, because I’ve tried and it has come up sorely lacking.

V/R,
    Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

Dude, your South Leon board was great, tall grass, hills, treelines, no helo hot extraction though.

Tired is enough.

Just Jack
    Participant

Sure, but I bought all that stuff, I didn’t make it! 😉

Yeah, was supposed to do the hot extract, as well as a few other fights for that chain, but ultimately just had to push through in order to move the story along (and get to all these dogfights).  Don’t worry, as South Leon crumbles, I’m sure there will be plenty of running for da choppers.

V/R,

Jack

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.