Home Forums Modern Modern mass armour rules, but for infantry…?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rules Junkie Jim
    Participant

I’m not exactly sure what I’m after here, but I’ll try to explain…

I like playing micro armour games like Tankwreck, Pz8 and WRG moderns, and I used to play Command Decision: Combined Arms; basically games that involve large(ish) troop numbers and lots of armoured vehicles. But to make the best of these rules, you really need lots of armour slogging it out with a variety of heavy weapons. None of them (with the possible exception of CD, and it’s a bit cumbersome for my tastes of late) really work when most of your forces are infantry, perhaps with only a few armoured vehicles or armed softskins. The armies of the imagi-nations I’ve envisaged aren’t overly tank-laden, and I’d like to fight large-scale engagements without feeling each side is committing their entire armoured inventory in one engagement.

Can anyone recommend modern or WW2 rules that might suit, or has anyone modified rules to make them more infantry-centric? Preferably rules where the smallest unit is a platoon. Thanks.

Mike
    Keymaster

BKC?

kyoteblue
    Participant

You can throw rocks at me…but the FOW engine does handle infantry battles well. Or 5 core company commander.

Rules Junkie Jim
    Participant

Ah, now you’ve each mentioned major blindspots in my knowledge about rules… the “Commander” series, and FOW. From what I know about BKC I tunderstood it was reliant on armour to make the game “work”, but I’d be interested to know I’m wrong.

As for FOW, hmmm, yeah maybe… must see if its website has any downloads I can check out to see if it’s the kind of thing I’m after. Must admit I hadn’t paid much attention to it until I saw the Team Yankee stuff on here. And it looks like it’d work fine with 6mm tanks.

I like Company Commander, but its strength is based on keeping the units per side at 12 or fewer. I know you can bump up the numbers, but for me you lose the “point” of the rules.

DM
    Participant

I found the WRG rules work fine for infantry heavy games.

Iain Fuller
    Participant

The game that I’m running on Monday will be not as tank-heavy as usual for a FFT3 game – only about 4 coys a side and then as reinforcements. I think it will be a nice challenge for the two guys taking part and I want to see how it goes without relying on the armour – although one side will have a full recce unit with lots of Armoured Cars.

By the way Jim, when are we getting to see your imagi-nation kit?

Mike
    Keymaster

From what I know about BKC I understood it was reliant on armour to make the game “work”, but I’d be interested to know I’m wrong.

Not sure.
    I have played FWC which is the same engine and my sci-fi force was heavy on infantry with vehicles just as transport and light support.
    APCs and IFVs, no tanks or flyers.
    I think the mechanics will allow it…

Sabresquadron
    Participant

Newly updated Rapid Deployment caters for infantry. Free download from:

http://www.sabresquadron.com/index.html

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Mike. Reason: made pretty
    Northern Monkey
    Participant

I’ve played a lot of BKC2, and we mainly use infantry formations backed up with smaller numbers of armour, and I have never felt that the rules are not as effective with a heavy infantry element, some early war and small nations lists are predominantly infantry based

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Rules Junkie Jim
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I think I’m going to have to buy CWC as soon as Pendraken re-print it; 2 billion wargamers can’t be wrong.

I’ve downloaded Rapid Deployment to have a read-though. At first glance it looks interesting, though I might possibly adjust the scale for a smaller table.

David, I’m going to have a think about incorporating troop quality into the WRG 1950-85, but I’m not sure the D6 would withstand many more modifiers without making ruining the game.

Iain, I haven’t got the finger out yet, I’m afraid; it may be stuck.

I’m off on hols next week, so I’m going to pack a variety of rulesets to peruse so as to make going away almost pointless

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.