Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Modular Hills

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    trenchfoot
    Participant

Hello, thank you for the positive comments from my previous post. This was my summer project and is still ongoing. The material to build the hills is laminate floor underlay from B & Q, it is formed from wood fibre which when broken down and mixed with water and PVA becomes easily moulded and very durable. They were made with the intention of providing height to a flat piece of artificial grass mat. I decided to permanently fix woodland scenic tree bases to allow gamers to have wooded hills or  not, they were fixed in 3’s to give the feeling of woods and allow models to move freely between them. I hope you enjoy my work.

kyoteblue
    Participant

The finished hills look great!

Thomaston
    Participant

I agree and good idea on how to do trees. Did you cut the hills in two like that for corners or was it limited by the tile size?

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Rhoderic
    Participant

I love this kind of terrain that combines practicality with realism and visual satisfaction. Thanks for the inspiration!

The wood fiber mix is a new material to me. Judging by its appearance and your description of it, it seems like a grown-up’s version of powdered papier-maché.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Really like these!

Another method for doing the trees might be to put pins into the trunk so you can push them in anywhere without having to have bases beneath the mash.  The mash should also be self-healing so that’s a bonus!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

trenchfoot
    Participant

Thank you for the feedback. The hills were cut to use as hills coming in from the mat edge or as a whole feature running the width of the mat, I have another WIP and will add photos when I finish, hopefully as a whole battle mat complete with buildings, hedges and fields. It is indeed papier mache and becomes hard as iron when mixed with PVA and then coated with PVA and acrylic paint for the soil colour.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by trenchfoot.
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I’ll look forward to seeing the whole layout.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.