Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Monoremes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m looking for a Greek monoreme (think Argo), absolute scale isn’t important but it needs to be ~150mm.

Any ideas? Please don’t suggest biremes/triremes/quin…etc. They won’t ‘do’

TIA πŸ™‚

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Keymaster

That’s a big fella. Is there a scale it is intended for?

May help me narrow down the search.

Participant

absolute scale isn’t important

πŸ˜‰

I have no idea how long the average Greek monoreme was, but 150mm is ~6″ which scales to 150′ in 1:300. Which seems a bit on the large side to be propelled by a single bank of oarsmen a side, given that the longest Viking ship found is 120′, and Viking longships weren’t as heavy as Greek warships.

So, a monoreme about 150mm long. Call it 1:150 πŸ˜€

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

I think “monoreme” is a neologism for either a tirakonteros or a pentekonteros, which is the open-topped “Epic” period galleys that you’re thinking of?Β  They predate the high classical triremes, anyway.Β  So you’d be talking about a range of length between thirty and fifty oars, so probably about 100 to 120 feet, at scale?

These might be a good start:

http://www.skullncrown.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73_74_82&products_id=240

They’d need modding, though, since they’re medieval, not classical.Β  But I think a little bit of balsa wood would set them to rights.Β  If I understand the model right it’s 1:300, so 6mm crew would work.

Keymaster
    Participant

NCS:

Essex makes some ancient ships in 15mm and an Achaean crew. Here is a picture of the ship with an Egyptian crew. Some modification might be needed but it could pass for a dojo tor or a pentikontor I suppose.

BOAT 3 Middle Eastern Boat with single furled sail, suitable for most Biblical armies.

I built and painted two of these for a gaming buddy and the ships were about 130 mm long and about 120 mm tall.

There are also paper/card-stock models of the Argos available but the smallest I saw was between 200-225 mm in length if I estimated it correctly.

http://www.papercraftsquare.com/jason-argonauts-detailed-argo-free-ship-paper-model-download.html

Cheers and best of luck in your search.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Thanks for your input all.

It’s a Stronghold for my HotT Argonauts if you’re interested. It will be well under scale for 28mm miniatures, but a true scale Argo would be around 500mm long by my figuring which is a little on the large side πŸ™‚

Participant

At sixty quid it’s not cheap but Magister Militum have a 15mm Mycenaean Galley that would fit the bill.

https://www.magistermilitum.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=mycenaean+ship

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

Too large I’m afraid. And too expensive πŸ™‚

So is this. http://www.grandmanner.co.uk/Jasons_Argo–product–619.html

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.