Home Forums Air and Sea Naval More 1/700 AOS almost ready for launching…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I think this has been the longest I’ve gone mostly dedicated to one project. I started the fleets in early April and my motivation is ebbing away! Almost there, though!

I’ve been changing up the way I do things to alleviate some of the tediousness but I’ve been trying to do them in bulk to get to the finish line. So, I built and painted 4 more 3rd rates and 4 more frigates. Two French, two British of each. I wanted to see if rigging them before gluing on the sails made it easier. Sort of. For these models I did run the strings in longer lengths (ala JJ’s method) rather than using shorter, straight lengths of glue-stiffened thread (ala War Artisan’s method). It’s definitely a quicker method. Without sails, it was fairly simple. I still have problems getting tension right so on the frigates I did about half the standing rigging, then the running rigging, then the rest of the standing rigging which gives me sagging problems. So-so.

Now I just need to paint up 8 suits of sails and glue them on. Then… I’ve got two 1st raters to complete and I’d like to complete 4 more brigs. Oh! give me strength!

The fleets so far:

I also took the time to build a new fancy-smancy paint rack out of cardboard tubes. No, they are NOT toilet paper tubes!

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

Wow the ships and rigging look really good Jeff and so does the rack. I bet one could do as well with some 1-1/2″ PVC pipe.

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.