Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic More Russian Details

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

I managed to get Leonov & Belov’s volume on Paul I’s army through ILL while waiting for my purchase of Leonov’s more recent volumes on Alexander I to arrive.  Slowly working my way through it.  Found several corrections to my page, and half dozen new notes, but mostly about Garrisons which no one probably cares about.  Highlights are the color “iron”.  Turns out the Russians didn’t mean “iron gray”, but “iron blue” which is another name for “Prussian blue”.  While re-examining colors, I discovered Popov noted that from 1810 the Russians were using madder for the coat linings, so Russian turn-backs were a darker, duller red than the bright cuffs and colors.  Leonov & Below is magnificent, and there’s bound to be more in the cavalry chapters, still there is regret that they did not reproduce the entire von Lude & Shishmarev albums – which appear to have some useful illustrations of the elusive boutonniere patterns – and the dragoon boutonnieres also remain a mystery.

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

zaotlichiye.net63.net/allfacings.html – for those who haven’t seen it. 

Bandit
    Participant

Thanks for the update Jonathan, I spent a lot of time bumping into your website so please know it is valued and gets use by random people other than yourself.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

What I like to hear. 

More than a dozen updates to the hussars, including some unique saddle cloth patterns, but it’s all early period (1796-1801), so there is probably limited interest.

General Slade
    Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the update.  I think your page is great and I love the way it is organised. I’ve always found the Russians to be the most daunting of the major Napoleonic armies when it comes to uniform research (which explains why I have got so many of them lying around unpainted).  The details on the early hussars is much appreciated: the army of Suvorov is on the to do list.

Greystreak
    Participant

Jonathan, I’ve used your page as a key resource and reference in building my Russian project (7th Infantry Division – 1812) over many years, and especially appreciate you on-going commitment to continuously updating your information with new research.  

Bryce Allen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.