Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games Sci-fi / Fantasy More Squad Hammer photos, PLUS QUESTION!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So I was looking through the various Squad Hammer pdfs I have checking on activation/suppression variants, and it appears we’ve been playing it wrong from the beginning!

Somehow, I got it in my head that anytime a unit wanted to act, it had to roll equal or higher than their current damage total. However, it doesn’t say this anywhere in any of the rules! Now, there’s a logic to it and it’s worked very well for us, so we might keep it as our house rule, but it will be interesting to play it “rules as written” and see how it feels!

Anyone else have activation/suppression variants they use?

Oh yeah, and pics:

Richmond, VA. Let's play!

Participant

Beautiful set up and pictures!  Suppression is an advanced option P47.  I find the withdraw activation gets little use.  I am wondering if there should be a dice modifier for beating suppression to activate if calling a regroup or withdraw order.  We use damage 12 for infantry and a D12+3 for suppression roll.  I am wondering if it should be +4 for regroup, +5 for withdraw.  I use lots of variants.  To hit rolls modified by -1 to hit for each piece of terrain fired through.  Same for spotting rolls but worst it can get is the equivalent of concealed so max +3 target number.  I like games where about two thirds of initial forces get to activate.  2D6 drop lowest works well but if playing with 3D6 drop lowest getting circa ten activations before your opponent replies is overwhelming.  I have started to split the activation roll in two.  So if you roll nine activations, you take 5 then your opponent takes half of his activations then it comes back to you.

Participant

Fantastic look!

I get emails every so often regarding various systems of unit degradation and order failure, so it’s obviously something pretty popular.

I just had a fan discussion about a system like that for “Hammer of Democracy” but I am wary of instituting anything formally, to avoid too much “death spiral” effects.

Though if you’ve played it that way all along, clearly it isn’t a problem!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.