Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Moscow Dragoons

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

In their 1805 Uniforms.

Bandit
    Participant

Very nicely done. Some have said the early war Russian dragoon coats were a lighter green but I often ponder that it wouldn’t be too long in the field before they look just as yours do. I like them, well done.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Very nicely done. Some have said the early war Russian dragoon coats were a lighter green but I often ponder that it wouldn’t be too long in the field before they look just as yours do. I like them, well done. Cheers, The Bandit

Thanks, yeah I have seen written(and now some illustrations) that say/show them as lighter(same for jegers)  but most illustrations show them either as dark or slightly lighter than the post-1808 dragoons.

So instead of trying to guesstimate just how light was “light” I did it the easy way and painted they almost as dark as the infantry/later dragoons, just a tiny smidgeon lighter.

Lovely unit. If anyone rebukes you for uniform coats that are too dark a green, tell them you’ve painted them after they were caught in a rain storm.

BTW it always astonishes me how anyone could function in the real world with such unwieldy head gear.

donald

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

I was thinking the same about the helmets. 🙂

You’d think if they ducked a sword blow it would catch the crest and break their neck instead.

Wonderful looking unit.

Bandit
    Participant

They really do look sharp. I think there are also a handful of smaller details that really pop and bring them together. The saber knots for instance.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Thanks for the kind feedback.

I’m actually kinda amazed how colourful the 1805 russians are. Except for cuirassiers and hussars.  They are all mostly green and White/grey.

Yet the facings an other small colourful details pop and make them overall very striking and showy.  Sure these get a lot of help form the big rose coloured hose blankets. But even the various colored plumes on the command helmets help a lot. The red plum of the trumpeter really stands out.

And the white/orange/black plumes of the NCOs/officers too.

I’ll get back to the last squadron soonish.  Need to finish up some French infantry and artillery as well as start on Prussian and Russian Grenadiers.

Jonathan Gingerich
    Participant

It is odd. “Light green” was  definitely  a bright mid green for the Russians. I can’t find anything that suggests greens were partitioned in Russian thought like the blues are (blue vs. azure). But if I recall correctly, there is a similar concern with French dragoons? It may have been that at the time, peoples sense of color was limned by the dyes available.  If green cloth was usually dark, then “light” might apply to the darker range and truly light greens might get their own names.

AdmiralHawke
    Participant

They look outstanding. Superb painting.

Are they 28mm Perry figures? The horses make me think they might be Victrix metal / Brigade Games figures. Either way they are beautifully done.

They are indeed Victix/brigade games

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.