Home Forums Renaissance Moss troopers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

My Covenanter army, mostly uses Tumbling Dice figures. These are “large” 20mm figures, so compatible with the bigger plastic offerings (ie not Revell TYW figures).

As mentioned in recent threads here, an issue is Scottish cavalry. It’s reckoned to be fairly awful & I have 2 units of TD “pickers”. I really need a third unit: preferably pistol armed, almost Moss Trooper like.
    I’ve been trolling PSR & found something. I’m generally not a big fan of Mars figures. These figures get an awful review as TYW dragoons but could be the irregular cavalry used by the Scots & known as Moss Troopers.

http://ketheric.magix.net/clan/home.htm

How awful do you think these are?
    http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2481

There is something suitably archaic about them. I’d only need about 8 of them so could avoid the worst of them. About half could wear the existing helmets & the others could get a ‘bunneted’ head from Tumbling Dice. I guess I could find horses for them if the existing ones are unusable.

Am I fooling myself?

donald

Etranger
    Participant

leaving aside the quality of the sculpting & moulding, which are ‘ordinary’, they’re probably a bit too well dressed for the average moss trooper. That said for a few bucks they’ll do as standins until something better/more suitable comes along.

OK, as ET wrote, they’re not expensive so they are currently winging their way from the Ukraine to me in the Antipodes.

I have a pile of TD horses (bit too well fed IMO to be ridden by Reivers) or enough Revell SYW Austrian dragoon mounts for the unit if the accompanying horses suck.

They’ll inevitably come with flash & mold lines but the candle+needle-with-cork-handle trick actually makes remedying this problem fun.

Conversions will include making one figure an ensign, carrying the unit flag. A bigger job will be head swops. 4-5 (out of 8) will get a bunneted head. I’ve done this using some of the pile of extra TD heads before. After decapitation, a wire is inserted into the plastic figure & a small hole drilled into the bottom of the head. This is really just to hold the two together until the 2-part epoxy dries. Its a bit finicky but only a few figures.

I may well re-position arms etc, change some weapons etc. And then paint……it’s very important to wash & undercoat the figures (Vallejo white primer) because the plastic is probably crappy.

As they’ll represent a ‘dregs of the Border’ unit, they may well suffice even if something better later pops up.

donald

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Stupid question follows.

Does anyone make border reiver figures in 20mm?

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Stupid question follows. Does anyone make border reiver figures in 20mm?

The Hagen shop has these lovely figures:

http://www.hagen-miniatures.de/index.php/en/component/jshopping/product/view/117/729

Strictly skirmish gaming, though.

donald

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Stupid question follows. Does anyone make border reiver figures in 20mm?

The Hagen shop has these lovely figures: http://www.hagen-miniatures.de/index.php/en/component/jshopping/product/view/117/729 Strictly skirmish gaming, though. donald

Won’t they do for moss troopers? Outdated armour and weaponry seems to fit the bill (sorry!).

In the Bishop’s Wars, Barker reckons that all sorts of old materiel was used. “Obsolete longbows, bills, calivers were sent to the border counties ‘as they knew how to use them'”

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Won’t they do for moss troopers?’”

Well, no. I need an FoG unit ie several, reasonably cohesive mounted figures. Again, these would do for some sort of Reiver skirmish game.

donald

donald

If a unit of Border Reivers did carry a flag/banner, any idea what it might look like?

donald

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

Stolen.

Etranger
    Participant

Brenden’s probably right, but I’d guess if there was a banner it would be based upon the family crest or motto.

The Nixon Clan crest, from which a fine banner could be made.These may of course be the Victorian ‘interpretations’ of such things.

(And come to think of it, the Border clans weren’t much different from Mafia families, either)

Brenden’s probably right, but I’d guess if there was a banner it would be based upon the family crest or motto.  the Border clans weren’t much different from Mafia families, either)

Probably worse. But then the English over the border were not nice either.

donald

Etranger
    Participant

There are Nixons in the family tree … 

So if I shake your hand, I’ll need to count my fingers afterwards?

donald

Etranger
    Participant

So if I shake your hand, I’ll need to count my fingers afterwards? donald

It gets worse.  Grandad Davies married a Nixon & progressed from being an SP bookies runner to being a Tax Inspector. The job title might have changed, but the principle of separating people from their money remained the same…

So if I shake your hand, I’ll need to count my fingers afterwards? donald

It gets worse. Grandad Davies married a Nixon & progressed from being an SP bookies runner to being a Tax Inspector. The job title might have changed, but the principle of separating people from their money remained the same…

Gosh, ET, I’m a fairly tolerant person and might even give the Anti-Christ the benefit of the doubt but I have to draw the line at Tax Inspectors.

BTW I have ‘The Steel Bonnets’ by George MacDonald Fraser. Rather poorly written  in terms of a coherant narrative but interesting for its period anecdotes none the less.

donald

This would be possible…

[/url]

donald

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

Gosh, ET, I’m a fairly tolerant person and might even give the Anti-Christ the benefit of the doubt but I have to draw the line at Tax Inspectors.

Huw and I belong to another forum that includes two “retired” Tax Inspectors – the one thing they have in common with Marines is that there are no “former” Revenue Men.

Huw and I belong to another forum that includes Iain Burt (Essex Boy) and John Francis (Levied Troop) who are both “retired” Tax Inspectors – the one thing they have in common with Marines is that there are no “former” Revenue Men.

Small world. I usually have a drink with Iain when I’m in London & regularly converse with him on email (as little as two days ago).

A very nice chap (a “diamond geezer” as he puts it in his unintelligible patois).

donald

The final unit for the game on our first ECW game on the 18th has been started.

The Ukrainians finally dispatched this:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2481

These will become a small unit of Border Horse for my Covenanters in the ECW.

Firstly, they’re not as bad as PSR makes them out to be. The horses do look a bit medieval with their trappings but this actually fits nicely into what the Border Reivers rode at the time.

I’ve cut off most of their heads. I’ll leave a few with the “steel bonnets” but the rest are now pukka Borderers wearing blue bonnets. These heads are metal heads from Tumbling Dice & come with head & hat & a small peg for attachment purposes.  I’ve filed the peg to a point and made a hole in the headless figures’ neck with a pin vise. These have been glued with two-part epoxy & are drying. One of the benefits of changing heads is that the figures are not so flat thanks to careful positioning.

Later, also courtesy of TD, I’ll add some targs (Shields) & broadswords, pistols etc to some of the figures. Painting will feature lots of natural leather, muted toned clothing & a bit of tartan here & there. I think they’ll look good (but be pretty crap in a battle: kind of like Napoleonic Cossacks).

I’m pretty confident to have this done by game time.

donald

WiP

[/url]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.