Home Forums General General Multiple Boards

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks

Gaming boards, not forums!

I am thinking about my fantasy skirmish games and how they will pan out.
    I am suspecting they will be mini stories that move across different terrain.
    With the mechanics being pretty quick, each chapter will probably take no more than 15 minutes to play.
    So in an hour or so there may be the need to have different boards in use.
    It could start in a town, then move out to the desert, then a temple and then back to the town.

I am not yet bonkers enough to set up the three different boards on the table so will have to clear the board and then set up for the next chapter.

Anyone else play games that require different terrain set ups for the same game?

greg954
    Participant

Basically yes, in the mist of sorting out all my 6mm SF. I feel that certain models let themselves to different environments. Earth, Mars and Proxima B are going to be my three main game set ups. All part of the one game/story.

A city block set up on Earth. Industrial set up for Mars and for Proxima B. Will be various small shanty set ups. So a different game board for each.

Patrice
    Participant

If the room is large enough it’s easier to set up everything from the beginning. For example this old west game:

(In this case the different players had their camps on different boards, but such a set up could as well serve for an overall adventure).

http://argad.forumculture.net/t399-la-guerre-du-betail

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

One of the groups I am a part of uses several massive tables for a pirate game.  Some of the tables are dedicated islands (cannibal island, adventure island, and the pirate port) while the 3 main tables (6’x24′) have various ports and barriers on them.  Allows for both ship combat and land combat/adventures.

Probably not the same thing you’re talking about, but usable in the same way:

http://fistfullofseamen.blogspot.com/

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

OldBen1
    Participant

You could probably move to smaller terrain boards that are hollow for storage underneath.  That’s what I did.  I also made the boards two sided so I can flip it for another locale.  Sand on one side, tiles on another.

image by oldben1[/url], on Flickr

image by oldben1[/url], on Flickr

Display box desk portable by oldben1[/url], on Flickr

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by OldBen1.
    Phil Dutré
    Participant

I have set up a big table, but different scenarios play in different “corners” of the table. if your firing ranges and movement ranges are small compared to the table, figures are not drifting off to remote regions.

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

OldBen1
    Participant

Mike your board did seem big enough to support the idea above.  I noticed you had a lot of space around the actual action.

John D Salt
    Participant

I’m intrigued by the implication that games can be structured to work, like plays, in a succession of scenes. Although wargaming remains obstinately mostly terrestrial wargaming, it seems to me that such an approach would be especially suitable for games taking place in essentialy hostile environments, so that the key actions must inevitable be concentrated at a few important points. For naval games, this would mean important ports and islands, with the option of a plain blue board for actions on the high seas; for SF, this would mean spaceports, space stations and planetoids, with the option of a plain black board for encounters in deep space. One might also imagine urban settings from any time period where a few key locations (the Palace, the Treasury, the Armoury, the Police HQ, the Research Lab, the Radium Furnaces) are modelled in detail, with any random encouters between key points fought in a generic streetscape.

All the best,

John.

Mike
    Keymaster

My fantasy games as noted are pretty quick to play.
    Limited models, say 2 goodies and 8 baddies.
    Fast play rules (TM).  😀
    15mm on a 2′ x 2′ board.

I will be using my own rules from now own which are slightly more detailed then the rules I used previously.
    The old rules would play a simple game in under 10 minutes.
    This was not enough time to get my teeth into it all.
    So rather than play the same game again to see if the outcome was very different I figured I could move onto the next game straight after.

So the first game could be in an Oasis where a hero is ambushed at their camp by bandits, the hero slays them and takes their loot to a nearby town to sell their goods and rest up an heal. However the bandits had friends who track the hero back to the town and they steal in at night to try and have their revenge. That is game two on a new board.
    Game three is where the hero and a friend or maybe the towns militia in turn track those bandits back to the hill camp and attack, attempting to rid the bandit threat once and for all.

So we have 3 chapters all part of the same story that takes part across 3 settings.
    But with each game probably only taking 15 minutes to play out, rather than wait between the games, we play them immediately one after the other.

Does that help at all, or am I mostly rambling?

OldBen1
    Participant

Kind of like a 3 act play, or a stage with levels in a videogame.  Very cool.

When will we get to playtest these new rules?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.