Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi My 10mm Dropzone Commander Project

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Bruce
    Participant
    Angel Barracks

Like the wrecks, that one there with the tree in it is cool.

Andrew Bruce
    Participant

Like the wrecks, that one there with the tree in it is cool.

Thanks for your comments

Rhoderic
    Participant

Cool! I like that you’ve gone for the “core” DZC theme/aesthetic with the long-abandoned, derelict cities. For all the popularity of DZC, I don’t often see people dedicate enough effort to it to actually model “appropriate” terrain, beyond using the card buildings.

Mike
    Keymaster

Cool! I like that you’ve gone for the “core” DZC theme/aesthetic with the long-abandoned, derelict cities.

Is that what it is about?
    I should read up on it really, sounds like my cup of tea.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Nice looking pieces so far! I’m a DZC fan, but alas it doesn’t get a lot of play at the club right now. My PHR “Centauri Hoplites” don’t get a lot of table time. Plus I went and gave them a yellow paint scheme, which is just impossible. But hey.

Fun game, simple but challenging. I also like that you’re tackling the Post-Apocalyptic Urbanscape theme! Nice pork so far, very “Fallout.”

Andrew Bruce
    Participant

Cool! I like that you’ve gone for the “core” DZC theme/aesthetic with the long-abandoned, derelict cities. For all the popularity of DZC, I don’t often see people dedicate enough effort to it to actually model “appropriate” terrain, beyond using the card buildings.

Thanks i got a few more ideas yet

Take care

Andy

Rhoderic
    Participant

Cool! I like that you’ve gone for the “core” DZC theme/aesthetic with the long-abandoned, derelict cities.

Is that what it is about? I should read up on it really, sounds like my cup of tea.

There’s battles in the wilderness as well, and obviously the official fluff is no man’s master, but yes, abandoned cities are the centralmost milieu in the official fluff. The basic idea is that nearly two centuries prior to the “present time” of the DZC setting, humanity lost its well-developed “Cradle Worlds” to an invasion of thoroughly hostile, parasitic aliens. Since then a strong, dynamic and highly militarised human nation born from the remaining unconquered frontier worlds has launched a war of reconquest. The parasite-aliens don’t really have a civilisation in the way we have one, so for the most part they’ve not cared to interfere with the ruins of human civilisation, leaving the Cradle Worlds looking decidedly post-apocalyptic save for the occasional gigantic alien structure standing in callous majesty amidst the dereliction.

It’s an interesting enough setting in its own, bleak, militaristic way (somewhat reminiscent of Battlestar Galactica, Falling Skies, etc). There’s a few other factions as well (the Post-Human Republic, the Shaltari and the Resistance – I’m partial to the clean-and-aloof PHR myself). I’ve considered getting into it but most of the figures are expensive and so is the terrain if one wants the “undiluted” experience with ruined cities and all (whereas my Heavy Gear Blitz purchases are already draining my bank account and I’ve been wanting to buy into Infinity as well). I’ll see where the game is at in one or a couple of years’ time.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Rhoderic.
    Norm S
    Participant

interested in this project. I am thinking of getting an expansion box to supplement my Pendraken Sci-Fi / Alien forces for use with home brew rules.

Andrew Bruce
    Participant

Nice looking pieces so far! I’m a DZC fan, but alas it doesn’t get a lot of play at the club right now. My PHR “Centauri Hoplites” don’t get a lot of table time. Plus I went and gave them a yellow paint scheme, which is just impossible. But hey. Fun game, simple but challenging. I also like that you’re tackling the Post-Apocalyptic Urbanscape theme! Nice pork so far, very “Fallout.”

Thank you for your kind comments, I have a number of ideas to improve my starter sets. But I’ll most definitely be going for the post-apocalyptic look

Take care

Andy

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Andrew Bruce.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Andrew Bruce.
    Andrew Bruce
    Participant

interested in this project. I am thinking of getting an expansion box to supplement my Pendraken Sci-Fi / Alien forces for use with home brew rules.

Dropzone commander do some extremely nice miniatures, I would also say they would go nicely with pendraken however make sure you have separate units with infantry as a Dropzone commander ones are slightly smaller

Take care

Andy

Thuseld
    Participant

Would it be feasible to play Dropzone Commander in 6mm with other miniatures?

Andrew Bruce
    Participant

I don’t see why not

Take care

Andy

Rhoderic
    Participant

Would it be feasible to play Dropzone Commander in 6mm with other miniatures?

Just bear in mind that – to the best of my limited understanding – dropships and aerial transports are a fairly central part of the game. The premise of the DZC setting seems to be that in a star-faring future, large-scale planetside warfare revolves greatly around “the drop”. So you’ll have to source suitable dropships, including ones that can carry multiple fairly large vehicles, from somewhere.

Assuming that hurdle can be jumped, I think gaming DZC in 6mm with alternative miniatures is a stellar idea.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Rhoderic.
    Mr. Average
    Participant

Likewise! Alas, the best source for suitable dropships was Reaper and they killed their whole Robot Supply Depot line some months ago in an unexplained, mystifying and endlessly irritating move, and replaced their metal CAVs with a smaller line of squishy, substandard plastics.  Still one could get JUST the DZC dropships and match them to suitable 6mm lines! Microworld’s mecha and Foundationists, for example, would make sweet PHR. Brigade’s Mercs or Neo-Soviets, would be great for the UCM. And naturally any of Angel Barracks’ material would be super for Resistance fighters. Plasmablast would be swell if they ever come back online, though you might get Marios to cast you some on the side, if he can – I’ve found he’s very accommodating that way. If you can get your hands on Grub fighters from Silent Death you have the Scourge right there; again, website problems are interfering at the moment.

TrojanPoints
    Participant

I did actually build a 6mm DZC army but then messed the PJ…

The key idea (not mine) was to use matching ranges of 6mm vehicles and smaller scale spaceships as dropships! Sure their not to scale but for one most space ship models don’t have many scale clues, for two they’re “flying above the table” and that give some scale leeway (15mm FOW with 1/144 planes?) and for three it looks good to me (except the PJ, can we stop talking about that?) so here we go…

The initial idea: https://trojanpoints.blogspot.be/2015/11/delta-zulu-six-6mm-proxy-dropzone.html#more

The final cluster-frak: https://trojanpoints.blogspot.be/2016/05/i-painted-correction-i-messed-up.html

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by TrojanPoints.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Mike. Reason: removed the F word
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by TrojanPoints.

Trojan Points - 15mm (mostly!) Sci-Fi (well...) Miniatures Wargaming
    trojanpoints.blogspot.com

Noel
    Participant

I like your terrain efforts.

Andrew Bruce
    Participant

My 10mm Dropzone Commander Project Update hope you enjoy it.

Take care

Andy

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Andrew Bruce.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Angel Barracks. Reason: made 2nd pic visibile
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

You could also play this game in 3mm, using any number of 6mm-sized ships as dropships. Your big problem in this scale would be the aliens, but even there, you can do something with O8’s alien figs and maybe some 6mm tyranids.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Andrew Bruce
    Participant

You could also play this game in 3mm, using any number of 6mm-sized ships as dropships. Your big problem in this scale would be the aliens, but even there, you can do something with O8’s alien figs and maybe some 6mm tyranids.

I would have thought any of the smaller scales would be fine. Subject to finding suitable miniatures
    Take care
    Andy

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.