Home Forums Air and Sea Naval My First Black Seas Ship

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #136480
    Volunteer
    Participant

    I finished my first frigate tonight with a few additions of my own to make it look like the Chesapeake in my imagination.

    https://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/2020/05/black-seas-frigate-chesapeake-finished.html?m=1

    "Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

    #136502
    Noel
    Participant

    All I see are pictures of a real ship.

    Where is the painted model?

    #136507

    Well done! Looking forward to seeing more of your work with the big boys.

    The blocks are nice. Love your backdrops, too.

    –jeff

    Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

    #136511
    Volunteer
    Participant

    Noel, wow thanks! That is a pretty nice compliment.

    Jeff, thanks. The blocks were a last minute inspiration and I was surprised the idea turned out so well (and that I never thought of it before?) The backdrop is something I did back when I still had access to an 11×17 printer. I made several but in order to get them home in my travel bag, I had to fold them in half. So they all have this ugle crease in the center. I try to shoot to one side or the other to avoid “The Crease”! 😖

    "Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

    #136636

    @Vol, any suggestions for how to remove slack in lines that are already attached? I’ve been rigging a couple of 3rd raters and finding it very frustrating. Just this morning I discovered that my back stays were not even close to straight. How it happened I have no idea. On one ship I was able to loop the line over the royal spar (at the risk of bending/breaking the mast) and that took up the slack. But on this second ship I won’t be able to do that.

    I Had to go paint a frigate hull just to work off some frustration and feel like I was making progress. Matter of fact, these raters have been more frustrating than the brigs and frigates. You’d think after completing the first four ships I’d be getting better at it!

    Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

    #136675
    Volunteer
    Participant

    Hi Jeff. Well let’s see, what are you using for thread? If it is cotton or has cotton in it you can wet the thread using a paint brush and warm water. As the thread dries it will shrink a bit. This might help a bit if the sagging is not too bad. Poly won’t shink at all. I usually run into the problem after I start stringing the running rigging. Every brace line starts adding a bit more tension to the masts resulting in previous lines slacking. I try to spread the masts against the stays to keep their tension while I secure the brace lines. This works most times, sometimes not.

    I know most folks don’t like cotton because it can “fuzz”, but I use it exclusively for standard rigging for this reason. To stop the fuzzing I wax it before application. You would think this would prevent it from being wetted, but it doesn’t, it just stops the fuzz.

    If the sag is too much you can coat the line with super glue and use something to press one end or the other against the mast or bulwarks, taking out the slack, until the line dris stiff. I use a dental tool to do this.

    Last resort is to cut out the line and string a new one.

    Hope one of these helps.

    "Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

    #136732

    Thanks, Vol.

    What I ended up doing was looping a thread under the offending stays and hanging the model from that thread. That stretched out the stays so that they were straight. I then coated the stays with glue while the ship was hanging so that they had some stiffness to them and wouldn’t sag though they didn’t really meet the mast. So then, I tied the loop to a point higher up on the mast. So I’ve got a pretty unsightly clump of thread-knot at the top of the mast above the royal spar but I think that will be less noticeable  than sagging stays.

    Ultimately, I think the cause of my problem was dealing with the ill-positioned holes for the stays in the bulwarks underneath the ratlines. The hell with that. For now on I’m just drilling new holes whenever possible. That gave me a reason to replace my 40 year old Dremel tool with a variable speed, flexible shafted model.

    Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

    #136737
    Volunteer
    Participant

    Haha nice tool to have! I have often thought of doing the same. I have 3 old Dremels. A flexible shaft with a chuck would be awesome.

    On the unsightly mast clumps, try using a #8 thread to tie up the stay rather than the much thicker stay thread. The thin #8 thread is barely visible and if you touch it with a bit of paint it disappears into the mast entirely. I get it on Amazon, fly tying Uni-Thread.

     

    "Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.