Home Forums Horse and Musket American Civil War My first experience with 3D printed ships…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all, long time since I’ve posted anything. Mostly, since Covid hit I’ve been messing about with boats in the open source flight simulator, FlightGear. (Long story). But last week the painting bug hit so I indulged in something I’ve been thinking about. I’m very interested in 3d printing but I don’t want to go the route of getting a printer myself. (I have enough hobbies!)

So, Chris ‘Day of Battle’ Parker of  chrisparkergames.com provided superlative print-on-demand services for some of David ‘Long Face Games’ Manley’s *.stl files that I purchased from Wargames Vault.

I could not be happier! I think these are as good as Thoroughbred models… perhaps even more detailed. For example, the ventilator stacks, boats and boat davits (with lines!) are integral parts of the models. They painted up a treat.

I don’t have enough superlatives for Chris P, David M and the models! I’ll certainly be getting more.

–jeff

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Keymaster

I am enthused by your joy!!

Participant

Wow, those are great looking!!!!!

Participant

I have a large collection of Thoroughbred’s models, and yours look excellent in comparison.  Probably a fraction of the price too!

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

Yeah, I’ve got quite a few Thoroughbred, Peter Pig and scratch built ships and the Long Face Games models fit in quite well. Price wise, with the purchase of the *.stl files, printing and shipping they came out to be about 1/2 the price of the metal ships.

Now… there are some caveats: The only pieces that were separate were the masts. Consequently, it can be quite tricky getting a paint brush into some very tight areas!

BTW, the models in order are: USS Varuna, CSS Morgan/Gaines and the US Tyler. The USS Varuna  exhibited some warping. My understanding is that this sometimes occurs when the resin cures. The only solution I found on-line was to immerse the model in hot water which will soften up the plastic and allow you to bend it back into proper shape. I tried this. Twice. I put the ship in a shallow glass dish and poured near-boiling water up to the deck level. I let it sit for about 5 minutes then removed the model, weighed it down flat and let it cool. While at first each attempt seemed successful, two days later the warping had reappeared. Maybe I needed to keep it weighed down for a couple of days. It’s not a major issue for this particular ship but it could prove problematic for others. Something to keep in mind.

–jeff

Participant

Still on the ACW Naval kick. Finished eight more 3d printed resin ships this week. This brings me up to a total of 63 1/600 scale models.

In general, these weren’t quite as care-free as the first set. Same designer, same printer. But… after printing I discovered that two of the *.stl files I purchased were scaled for 1/1200th rather than 1/600th. So I re-scaled the files myself and had them reprinted– a little extra cost but an important lesson. I’ll check all files before having them printed.

Totally unrelated was some fairly severe warping. In fact, the USS Milwaukee was so severely warped that I accidentally snapped it in half and ended up gluing the two halves to the base and then filling the crack in between them. The CSS Selma warped enough that it ended up with quite a bit of a gap between the hull and the water so I ended up filling the gap and painting over it. Not ideal situations but not deal breakers by any means for an old scratch builder.

CSS/USS Planter:

CSS/USS Planter

CSS/USS Planter

CSS Selma:

CSS Selma

CSS Selma

USS Milwaukee:

USS Milwaukee

USS Milwaukee

USS Ozark:

USS Ozark

USS Ozark

Queen of the West:

Queen of the West

Queen of the West

Armed Sidewheeler:

Sidewheel Steamer

Sidewheel Steamer

CSS Selma (again) with two tiny Teasers:

Two Teasers and the Selma

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.