Home Forums WWII My journey as a new WWII wargamer

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone! I am a new miniatures wargamer. I will use the Flames of War rulebook (4th edition) that I already have.

And I have just received my first 6mm buildings and german and american units. My buildings are from Legions IV Hire and my military units are from GHQ.

1. I think the buildings are made of resin. What kind of glue I need to use to glue two resins part?

2. For painting, should I just add one black primer layer first and start painting right after that?

3. How can I add photos to my post?

Thanks for your help!

Participant

I always wash resin buildings before painting and, most recently, I use gesso as a primer – brushed on. I used spray primer before that and both work fine. I use grey primer but I doubt it makes any difference in quality terms, just that I find grey easier to see detail on.

I usually use superglue to attach small bits on resin but larger parts I use 2 part epoxy.

I think there are instructions in the help section on adding photos, it is so long since I last did it I have forgotten.

Tony of TTT

PS Try Leven Miniatures for buildings

Participant

Thanks Tony.

And what about painting the GHQ miniatures? I have added two layers of black primer from Vallejo but the primer doesn’t stick.

Any tips about that?

Participant

That seems odd.  It’s definitely primer, and not just black paint?  I usually use GW primer for GHQ (a bit more expensive, but I think it gives a thinner coat and doesn’t cover up the exquisite GHQ detail as much as, say, automotive primer).

I’ve used Vallejo coloured primer a few years back for some 15mm, and I don’t remember any troubles.  Not really sure what’s going on.

And good on you for going 6mm for FoW; I think that scale looks a lot better for those rules.

Keymaster

3. How can I add photos to my post?

Click the image icon and either paste the URL from a site where the image is hosted, or search for a folder on your machine and upload directly.
    (Though there is an image size limit)

Participant

I have some 6mm figures which were primed with black first. They are very dark and I don’t like the effect. When I paint my 6mm/micro armour etc. I prime with the base colour of the figures or the lightest colour on the vehicles’. So usually khaki or uniform grey on figures and then add all the additional colours on top of that or for vehicles, grey or green.

I have a few (lots) of buildings from LegionIVhire and I really like them. Wash with dish soap and water before painting. Again the prime colour for buildings I use is the base colour for it. So if brick, hen a brick red, if stone a light grey etc..

Participant

I have added two layers of black primer from Vallejo but the primer doesn’t stick.

I have had a similar problem with Vallejo black primer. Turns out I hadn’t mixed it enough.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

For glue, I use a hot glue gun, but you have to work fast.

re your primer, metal is quite ‘slippy’. The Vallejo primer is an airbrush product. It is very thin, superb on plastics, but on metals prone to rubbing off on the high points of the model as you handle it, so for metals, I tend to use rattle can primers (keep the application light). If you are sticking with the Vallejo, simply don’t touch it during painting.

Handle the miniature as little as possible during painting, by temporary attaching to a lolly stick or something and once painted, give a coat of gloss varnish, followed by a coat of mat varnish to protect the high points of the model against the inevitable rubbing and wearing of gaming.

Participant

Thanks everyone! With a toothpick, I removed the black primer from some of the vehicules I have already painted. Then, I washed all my vehicules with dish soapwater and now everything is dry.

Following Geof’s advice, I will shake my black primer bottle very well before painting and be very careful about not touching anything. I don’t have an airbrush so it’s longer and a little bit more difficult with a painting brush.

That seems odd. It’s definitely primer, and not just black paint? I usually use GW primer for GHQ (a bit more expensive, but I think it gives a thinner coat and doesn’t cover up the exquisite GHQ detail as much as, say, automotive primer). I’ve used Vallejo coloured primer a few years back for some 15mm, and I don’t remember any troubles. Not really sure what’s going on. And good on you for going 6mm for FoW; I think that scale looks a lot better for those rules.

Thanks for your advice. Have you ever played Flames of War? I find it difficult to understand how to choose a platoon …

Here is photos of the book I have:

Participant

So here is a look at the buildings and units I have received yesterday. I also received german and american infantry units (not on the pictures).

Question: Should I glue the turrets to the rest of the tank or should I let them to move freely?

Participant

Question: Should I glue the turrets to the rest of the tank or should I let them to move freely?

I played those rules once in 15mm and don’t remember much. I used to think aiming turrets was so cool but nowadays I think having intact models is more cool. I now glue all turrets down. But I only use PVC glue (titebond I think) so breaking the bond is easy. I just do it so as not to lose the turrets.

That looks like an excellent selection of buildings. As above glue the minis to something to make handling easier when painting and remember whatever you use to hold the mini has to be able to “sit” in something when not in your hand. Maybe a piece of insulating foam. I use enamels so can’t advise on paints but do have them “mounted” before you start. Good luck.

Participant

As above glue the minis to something to make handling easier when painting and remember whatever you use to hold the mini has to be able to “sit” in something when not in your hand. Maybe a piece of insulating foam. I use enamels so can’t advise on paints but do have them “mounted” before you start. Good luck.

Thanks. I am following your advice but I put too many Jagdpanzer so I can’t paint the first layer of primer everywhere. I will take my time this time.

Participant

I can help with any FOW questions you may have.

Participant

Wow, thank you very much. In fact, I want to buy other vehicules and units but I don’t know which one to choose for playing Flames of War.

At the moment, I have some german infantry, 5 german Hanomag Sdkfz251, 5 Jagpanzer, some amerian infantry and 5 sherman.

I have played to Flames of War only twice but one thing that I remember was to put only one commander visible on the top of the turret of one tank per platoon. So I did just that. Not easy. 6 mm is very, very small. A lot smaller that I tought. Do you see the two commanders? They are two german soldier that I put on the top of the turret of a Sherman and of a Jagdpanzer.

Participant

One commander per platoon/squad/company.  But it can be infantry or armor.  BattlefrontFOW has a website that had pointers point totals army lists and other useful info.  You may one to pick up the newest books and cards. Have fun roll 6s.

Participant

For metal, it’s best to start with a ‘special metals’ primer; I use Baufix, which I get from Lidl. Then use any standard primer in the colour of your choice as a base colour. I used to use Army Painter but have recently switched to TT Combat Sprays. I’ve also happily used primer from car shops, like Halfords. But the key is the special metals primer first.

Might be worth getting on eBay and buying some cheap vehicles to experiment on. Save the GHQ stuff for best!

Hope this helps.

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

Participant

Wow, thank you very much. In fact, I want to buy other vehicules and units but I don’t know which one to choose for playing Flames of War. At the moment, I have some german infantry, 5 german Hanomag Sdkfz251, 5 Jagpanzer, some amerian infantry and 5 sherman. I have played to Flames of War only twice but one thing that I remember was to put only one commander visible on the top of the turret of one tank per platoon. So I did just that. Not easy. 6 mm is very, very small. A lot smaller that I tought. Do you see the two commanders? They are two german soldier that I put on the top of the turret of a Sherman and of a Jagdpanzer.<noscript></noscript>

they look great for conversions at such a small scale. Bravo.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

Well, after adding a black primer to my five Jagdpanzer E-50, it’s time to add the base layer. After searching internet, I found that there is too much variation in the camouflage pattern.

1. Do you know what is the usual camouflage pattern for this vehicule during the second world war?

2. What is the best technique to create a camouflage pattern in which the colors seem to blend slowly against each others? By that, I mean that the brown is not to brown and blends slowly to the green and the dark yellow …

Participant

After ’42 (I think) the Germans started painting all their equipment (armour, trucks, weapons, etc.) in a base colour of sand yellow. Many vehicles were sent to the front lines that way and received the additional colours, olive green and red brown, at the depots and sometimes painted by the crews when they had time and paint.

In my case that is the base colour I prime in for micro armour. Then add some and not always both additional colours. The additional colours were sometimes sprayed on (hence the appearance of one colour transitioning into another) if there was time and paints at the depot level. I THINK some tanks left the factory in three colours but doctrine suggested using only the colours suitable for the areas of operation as determined by local commanders. Often the colours were hastily painted on often with mops and pails of paint.

Participant

The E50 was a ‘paper panzer’, never making it off the drawing board. As such, there’s no historical scheme, so choose what you prefer.

By 1945 the typical pattern for new panzers used a green (olivgrun) base, with hard edged red-brown (rotbraun) and yellow (dunkelgelb) disruptive patterns. https://panzerworld.com/german-armor-camouflage has a useful primer. By then the factories were doing the painting so each factory tended to follow a specific pattern unique to that factory – most commonly seen on late Panthers. It’s one way to tell the manufacturer. Older vehicles may or may not get repainted, but usually not.

Earlier (pre August 1944) the camouflage schemes were added a a unit level, either in their workshops or sometimes by individual crews. Panzers came with a spray brush as part of their tool kit and the paint was supplied in cans of paste, to be diluted with (usually) petrol.

The pattern you show has softer edges, which is easiest to reproduce with a spray gun. It is possible to do it by brush, but it’s harder. In 6mm I wouldn’t bother.

Participant

Thanks guys for the info.

I have just finished painting my first Jagdpanther but I am not to happy with the result. I don’t know what is the problem exactly. Maybe a lack of yellow stripes? One thing I know is that the brown and the green are too strong.

Participant

Thanks guys for the info. I have just finished painting my first Jagdpanther but I am not to happy with the result. I don’t know what is the problem exactly. Maybe a lack of yellow stripes? One thing I know is that the brown and the green are too strong.<noscript></noscript>

Looks great. Don’t forget the amount of colours also was supposed to be based on what the local terrain was. So where the one you have done is where the terrain tends to be darker. Next time try making the other colours less of the area if you want more yellow. And yes the red-brown and green is stronger and darker than the yellow.

Participant

I just finished painting my five Jagdpanzer. They are now drying after I gave them a coat of Vallejo Matt Varnish. I have now found a way to make to improve the camouflage.

Next project, the Hanomag Sdkfz251.

Participant

Excellent paint job!

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Participant

Excellent paint job!

Thanks, I really appreciate. I must say that I am happily surprised with the result. With a little trials and errors, everything is possible.

Participant

Very nicely painted tanks.

Participant

Here is a building I have just finished painting and varnished. I have a few other buildings, lots of railroads, bridges, rock walls and a lots of vehicules and infantry to paint.

Participant

I am making some progress with painting my german army. Still lots of work to do. And I have not started my terrain yet.

Painting my russian army will be done a little bit later. I want to paint a few russian units and build some terrain before painting the rest of the units. This way, I would not have to wait a few months before playing my first game.

Participant

And you say this is all new to you?  Seems as good, or better than I’ve seen from gamers with years of experience!  Nicely done!

And, I admit this is a personal bias of mine, but well done for taking the time to paint everything before playing.  I’ve no wish to offend anyone here, but I once witnessed the absolute nadir of playing with unpainted figures and models.  For a FoW game, one player purchased a tank, opened the blister and then proceeded to play the game using just the unpainted resin hull and balanced the turret in top.  No tracks, no gun.

I wargame miniatures for the visual splendour, and I think your table is going to look great!

Participant

The painting of vehicles and buildings looks great!

Participant

And you say this is all new to you? Seems as good, or better than I’ve seen from gamers with years of experience! Nicely done!

Wow, thank you very much for the kind words. Yes I am new to this hobby but I started building model railroading n scale building last year only. I read and watch lots of videos to improve my skills. And most important, I practice and make trials and errors.

I am still painting my evergrowing german army but I decided that I want to start building terrain too. This will give me the chance to start playing.

Here are a few photos of my first tile. There will be hills with lots of trees and a little road in the middle.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.