Home Forums General General My New Project for 2018

This topic contains 47 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by kyoteblue kyoteblue 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Well, fresh off my wargaming haul from Christmas (which you haven’t even seen yet!), I just got my birthday haul in the mail! Two separate orders: one from Novus Design Studios, which cleverly ran a 40% off sale after Christmas that I just couldn’t pass up, and the other from Pendraken in the UK, purveyor of fine 10mm miniatures. This is the order that is my big project for 2018 that I’ve mentioned cryptically to a few of you (and inadvertently told one of you!). I’ll show ya a couple photos, and it’s up to you to put the clues together and take your guesses as to what that project is (a hint: the Novus Design order has nothing to do with the Pendraken order, so don’t get wrapped up around that).

The Novus Design, all in 15mm for my skirmish gaming, already unboxed, and a medium-sized, heavy-ass box. If you want to see what’s in the box, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2018/01/an-embarassment-of-riches.html

So, what is it? What’s my big project? The boy and I will be playing reinforced company-sized fights on a 6′ x 4′ table using a modified version of the Lardies’ “I Ain’t Been Shot Mum” rules.

Coming up as soon as I can get them painted and based 😉 I do have some modern skirmish batreps from Cuba Libre to share with you in the interim, post them as soon as I can.

V/R,
    Jack

Rod Robertson
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

Ooooo, ahhhh! I smell a Stalingrad Redux c. 1970. Or maybe at Aachen as NATO reels from Soviet invasion. A belated happy birthday to you. It is good to see that Jack will be sharing his toys with the kids!

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Rod Robertson Rod Robertson.
    kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Cold War goes Hot and it looks good Jack. I’m still basing and flocking trees.

Just Jack
    Participant

Ahh, thanks guys, but not belated Rod, coming soon.

I figured there would be plenty of guesses for Arab-Israeli/Yom Kippur as that would seem to be most reasonable, what with the M-60s vs T-62s and BTR-50s, but I don’t think M-113s are a great fit.

Cold War Gone Hot is much closer, but still not what you think: I’m going earlier, probably mid-60s, and this ain’t happening in Europe… The damn Soviets have managed to pull off a full-on invasion of the United States, Red Dawn style!!!

So we’ll not be fighting in the Fulda Gap or to cross the Rhine, we’re fighting to save Kentucky (I know, who would want to save Kentucky?) or to cross the Mississippi!!! The Soviets will be coming down through Canada in Washington and New York, up through Mexico in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona, and have nuked California and DC! I’ll be running a mechanized fire brigade dashing from enemy breakthrough to enemy breakthrough while the boy commands the (evil) Red onslaught.

V/R,
    Jack

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

California and DC gone eh?

No wish fulfilment there is there Jack? Coincidence huh?

Good to have you back.

Impressive amount of kit in one little parcel!

Now if you can just get those pesky Wolverines to stay out of it long enough to let the Russkies make a fight of it…

Darryl Smith
    Darryl Smith
    Participant

Hey now, Kentucky is worth fighting over – Civil War battlefields, Revolutionary War raids, bourbon (not my cup of tea), Red River Gorge, Pine Mountain, Cumberland Gap, Mammoth Cave. Notice how I didn’t mention U of K. 😉

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Darryl Smith Darryl Smith.

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com/
    http://foragecaps.blogspot.com/
    http://germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com/

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

WOLVERIIIIIIIIIIIINES

I think 60’s is the best period to set this in too.
    You avoid all the super tank stuff and military tactics aren’t quiiiiite out of the WW2 mindset yet, though it’s getting there.

M48 and the odd M60 versus T55 and the odd T62. Good stuff.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Depending on what year California gets Nuked I may or may not be alive!!

JozisTinMan
    JozisTinMan
    Participant

Looks great Jack!  I look forward to following your project.

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Just Jack
    Participant

Wow, I’m digging this interest guys, thanks!  I got all the US vehicles slapped together this evening, about to post some pics on the blog, hope to get the Soviets together tomorrow night.  Just need some warm weather (it’s 13 degrees here, ridiculous for Texas!!!) this week/weekend so I can spray prime them.

Guy – Wish fulfillment?  Me? I don’t know what you mean 😉  But don’t worry about the ‘real’ Wolverines, they haven’t even been born yet 😉

Darryl – What the hell?  A Cinci guy sticking up for across the river???

Ivan – Yeah, exactly.  The forces will on an even footing, tank vs tank, man vs man.  As I said, there will be close air support (Su-7s and F-100s), but not overpowering with smart weapons and crazy air defenses, nor helicopters.  Nice and simple.  I thought about doing M-48s vs T-55s, but chose to go with Pendraken’s brand spanking new M-60s and T-62s.  Nothing but state o’the art for my boys!

John – I’m considering part of the storyline being two radicalized university students, let’s call them Coyote Purple and Robby Roderickson, travel to Eastern Europe, get recruited by the KGB, and help smuggle nuclear weapons into the US via Canada!  You know what?  That’s actually brilliant! 😉

Tin Man – Thanks man!  And you need to get back to your 3mm Cold War stuff, that was awesome, and I really miss those batreps!

EDIT: here’s a pic, more on the blog:

V/R,
    Jack

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Just Jack.
    kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

LOL !! Oh, Jack while I am an old hippy I am part cowboy and biker. No trips to Europe for me. Besides depending on the year you set this in I may still be in elementary school! Or Nuked!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by kyoteblue kyoteblue.
    Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Nice sounding project dude!  But ya gotta have helos!  if its really early 60’s there’d be no airmobile concept, but they did have testbeds for ARA, like on the H-34s and Mi-2s.  Would make for ideal on-call arty that would be extra points if knocked down!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Just Jack
    Participant

John,

1) your hippiness far outweighs your cowboyness and/or bikerness       (you forget, I’ve met you in ‘real life’).

2) Elementary school? I said 1960s, not 1760s.  Again, we met in OKC.

3) This is just too good a storyline to pass up, it simply has t be this way!

V/R,

Jack

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

You can always get the T55 and M48’s online later as the front line kit is worn out 🙂

Are you basing up the infantry individually? I always felt like IABSM expects you to, but I don’t know if there’s any reason it wouldn’t work with team bases.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Ivan Sorensen Ivan Sorensen.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Ok, ok I guess I can play the bad guy.

Just Jack
    Participant

Darby – yeah, you’ll have to swing by and see them sometime after I get them finished, maybe even play a game!  I didn’t want to mess to much with helos and air defense, though I would like some UH-34s.

Ivan – you’re right about working in M-48s and T-55s, maybe later.  Negative in individually based infantry, each base will be a squad/wpns team. IABSM does want you to use individually based troops, but I changed that:

http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2017/12/i-aint-been-shot-mum-rules-tweaks.html?m=1

For the two KG Klink batreps:

http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2017/12/kg-klink-france-game-6.html?m=1

And

http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2017/11/kg-klink-france-game-5.html?m=1

John – you will ALWAYS be the bad guy! 😉

V/R,

Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Ouch…

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

The Soviets are prepped!!

The whole mess. Check the blog for more pics:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2018/01/and-their-soviet-counterparts.html

And quit being so sensitive John! 😉

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I see you finally like Soviet Mortars!

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Tonight I got all the infantry from my Pendraken Cold War project cleaned up and prepped for priming, here are some pics, but they’re not totally ready. I’ll explain below… In any case, I really need some warm weather so I can get everything spray primed. I apologize, it’s tough to see detail in the photos since these are bare metal, but I wanted to share.

Here’s the whole mess, Soviets on the left, Americans on the right. To see more pics, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2018/01/and-now-for-some-crunchies.html

John, I don’t like Soviet mortars, the boy will be using them on me!

Now I just need some warm weather…

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Going to be 64 this Sat in Oklahoma. I’ll be priming some Barbarians Great Apes Tarzan and more Pike and Shotte figures.

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KYOTE BLUE!

Well, Thursday I prepped the infantry for my Wolverines project, but I didn’t base them because I was fresh outta bases. I didn’t get anything done Friday, except to place an order for more bases from Litko, but Saturday morning I was rooting around in all my hobby stuff, and what did I find? That’s right, a bunch of bases. So this morning I based up all the infantry; and this interesting (to me, at least), as I’ve never done 10mm troops this way.

The whole mess, Soviets on the left, Yanks on the right. If you recall, each side has an infantry company consisting of CO, three platoon commanders, three rifle platoons of three squads (one stand equals one squad), and a weapons platoon consisting of three 82 or 81mm mortars (Sov/US), three recoiless rifles, and three heavy machine guns (Dshks/M-2s, though they kinda all look like M-2s, if you are catching the drift of me…). In game terms, we will break up the Wpns Plt and parcel it out to each of the three rifle platoons, so each rifle platoon will have a PC, three rifle squads, a mortar, an HMG, and a recoiless rifle, with each armored personnel carrier carrying two stands. Yeah, I shoulda sprung for four APCs per platoon, but I’m a cheapskate…

To see more pics, please click the link:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-crunchies-are-based-up.html

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Looks good Jack, I too primed figures thanks to the warm weather. Wolves Barbarian Girls and Boys Tarzan Jane and Great Apes and some Pike and Shotte. The Grand Daughter wants to paint Wolves and Barbarian Girls, I get to paint the rest.

I’ve been walking thru the Pikeman’s Lament rules. I have to make some unit cards to speed it up.  I’m running Swedes V Ottomans.

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

First, let me say that I’m utterly despondent after seeing the @#$%ing Patriots beat the Jaguars, and knowing they’re going to another Super Bowl and are likely to win it. In any case… I was able to take advantage of the great weather this weekend and my Cold War Soviet invasion of the United States (I’m calling it my “Wolverines” project) is moving full speed ahead. Last week I received the toys, got them cleaned, assembled, prepped, and primed. Here’s a quick few photos to document the progress.

Top left is US vehicles, center is Soviet vehicles, bottom center is US infantry, and bottom right is Soviet infantry. Gotta love Walmart Krylon spray cans. And forgive me, all that sunlight has washed out the colors a bit! In any case, I’ve made the executive decision to, as I quite often do, throw together some cool paintjobs that aren’t historically accurate. To see more pics, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2018/01/and-they-are-primed-and-ready.html

Cool, John, but you need to get back to WWII-Vietnam-Modern (Ifat), ASAP!!!

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Looks good, Jack.  I’m still waiting for US Infantry with M-14s for Vietnam. In the meanwhile, Pike and Shotte is where it’s at!

Sorry about your sport ball.

Rod Robertson
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

Just Jack wrote:

“John – I’m considering part of the storyline being two radicalized university students, let’s call them Coyote Purple and Robby Roderickson, travel to Eastern Europe, get recruited by the KGB, and help smuggle nuclear weapons into the US via Canada! You know what? That’s actually brilliant! 😉”.

Ah, Jack. Robby Roderickson, eh? Just some background information for your scenario. My dad was an occasional consultant on the Anglo-French Atomic bomb project (the one Igor Gouzenko was spying on) which built a functional but never loaded nor armed A-bomb in Montreal during WWII. After the war he was the head of the McGill University Ultra-Centrifuge programme. I was born in 1960. So theoretically there would be no need for Kyote and myself to travel all the way to the USSR to get a bomb for the child terrorists you portray us to be. Oh, and just to make the picture complete my American mom worked at McGill on Botulinum toxin refining and aerosol dispersion after returning from serving in the US Army in NW Europe as a nurse. So Kyotepurple, or as I like to call him Kyotered, and I could hypothetically wage unconventional war without the help of the KGB. My home life as a child was a microcosmic combination of the Manhattan Project and Fort Detrik, Maryland. And don’t get me started about McGill Christmas parties and the sinister knees I sat upon as an oblivious infant and young child. I shudder these many years later when I think about what my parents’ nice colleagues were up to all those years ago.

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Oh, Rod, you have a much richer childhood than did I !! I did live in Amarillo Texas for a while near the Pantex Nuclear Storage facility.

But Jack has our younger selves cast as the Bad Guys in this tale. Will we be dastardly villains or just comic relief?

Have you gotten your painting gaming Mojo back Rod?  I have found my Mojo by starting two new periods, Pike and Shotte plus Pulp Barbarians.

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

The bad guys are good guys from a different angle.  All depends on where you stand to look,

Great project Jack, I’m really looking forward to following this. 🙂

Rod Robertson
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

Have you gotten your painting gaming Mojo back Rod?  I have found my Mojo by starting two new periods, Pike and Shotte plus Pulp Barbarians.

Kyoteblue:

No dude, still in the hobby doldrums. It’s academic however, because I busted my right arm and damaged my ulnar nerve just a couple of days after Christmas. Even if I was motivated to paint and craft terrain I couldn’t now. I’m a one-wing chicken in a two-wing game for the next five to six weeks.

As to our status as either dastardly villains or keystone terrorists, a more important matter to resolve is who is Moose and who is Squirrel? I refuse to even consider the Boris and Natasha angle, unless you’re willing to wear the long gowns for the cause! There’s somethings I won’t do, even for the Revolution!

Jack:

The kit looks really good so far. When will the boy start mortaring you? Keep up the great work as you fight the Amerika Libre Wars.

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Damn, Rod. Sorry to hear that.  I am Moose if you are Squirrel!!

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Well, still depressed about the @#$%ing Patriots, but the world keeps on turning, and I continue moving ahead with my Wolverines project. Now I’m on to working on camo for the vehicles, experimenting with Blue-Tack as a mask. I went to Wal-mart and bought their version of Blue Tack (couldn’t find actual Blue Tack anywhere, but reading on the internet told me the various brands are fairly interchangeable), brought it home, and got to work masking a couple of test tanks, one M-60A1 and one T-62. I primed them yesterday and let them sit over night before messing with the Blue Tack.

Here are my two test subjects, the T-62 at left and the M-60 at right. To see how it turned out, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2018/01/my-blue-tack-experiment.html

Vicki – YOUR ALIVE!!!  I am very happy to ‘see’ you, Mlle Dickson.  And stop it with all the ‘good guys from a different angle’ stuff, you’re starting to sound like Rod and John 😉

Rod – Now THAT is fascinating, more so than ever before.  And explains a lot! 😉  Sorry to hear about the broken wing, hope you get better soon.  I did that a couple years ago, ice skating, of all things.  I still feel it in my left elbow…  And you’re finally on to something: my boy will make big trouble for Moose and Squirrel!

John – Thanks man, and what’s the hold up with the M-14 armed Marines?  Did you end up ordering from Flashpoint, or Scale Creep, or did Darby hook you up?

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Darby sent some but the Hurricane ate them and he has yet to find any more. But I have never done Pike and Shotte and the Pikeman’s Lament only needs 30 to 60 figures per army so it’s very easy to get into. Sides Victoria plays it!

Hey, Rod watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!!

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Well, fresh off my Blue-Tack experiment, I’ve decided to go monochrome for the vehicles in my Wolverines project, Soviets going medium green and Americans olive drab. I was able to pop out to the garage after work and get them spray coated, here are some pics.

The whole mess, Soviets at top left, Yanks at bottom right, each side consisting of a tank company, a mechanized company, a recon platoon, a mortar platoon, a tank destroyer platoon, an AA gun, and a Battalion commander. To see more pics, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2018/01/10mm-cold-war-vehicles-take-2.html

The hurricane, eh?  Man, that sucks, sorry to hear that.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Hurricanes happen, I’m looking forward to how this all plays out.  Still waiting on my static grass to finish up tree bases for my forest, which will also work for Vietnam when I get back to that, oh and African jungles for the Pulp Tarzan games, some of my Early Great War French may be used for that as well.  Staying in one scale/size does have its advantages.

Victoria Dickson
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Vicki – YOUR ALIVE!!! I am very happy to ‘see’ you, Mlle Dickson. And stop it with all the ‘good guys from a different angle’ stuff, you’re starting to sound like Rod and John 😉

Alive but still not back to doing gaming stuff, just reading about it for now.

I shall try to channel my inner marine and sound more like you in future, OK? 

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Jack, shame about the soft edge camouflage experiment – it looked good until you got up close and the bits of blue tack and bare metal took the shine off.

The monchrome fall back position is good though – I always think of Sovs in that colour though, no matter how many times people tell me they would have put camo patterns on them before anything kicked off.

Kyote – Marine eating hurricanes eh? That’s one tough breeeze! Don’t tell our post office or it will become a standard excuse for non-delivery here.

Victoria – no gaming? Hope its nothing serious. More Wyrms and Lion Rampant needed soon!

Just Jack
    Participant

John – Cool, I’d like to get into pulp stuff with my kids someday, I love the Pulp Alley rules.

Vicki – First, I’m embarrassed that I hit ‘your,’ as opposed to ‘you’re,’ and second, I hope all is well with you, I think we all miss your gaming.  And more like me? Amateur dictatorial despot was the look I was going for, good luck!!! 😉

Guy – I think the Blue Tackcan work, just way too much of a time investment for so many vehicles.  I do get aggravated with myself for always being in such a hurry and not being disciplined enough to slow down and make my toys as pretty as maybe I could, but dammit, I’m a gamer, not a modeler! 😉

And I’m with you: green Soviet tanks are pretty iconic, aren’t they?

V/R,

Jack

cmnash
    cmnash
    Participant

Hey Just Jack, Any chance of more 3mm games from you this year?

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Pulp Alley are good rules for Kids er Grand Kids in my case! I just realized I can use my Brown Water Navy Mekong river mats for the Congo or Amazon rivers! Once I get my forest/jungle done.

Yes, solid green is the way to go for Russian tanks!

Victoria I hope you can find your gaming Mojo again, I love your battle AAR’s an oddball figures!!

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Hazzah, my static grass, and the fender washers I base the trees on both came in!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.