Home Forums Modern My No End in Sight campaign setting

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    shelldrake
    Participant

I am in the process of planning a campaign for “No End in Sight”.

Rather that continue to hijack the “NEiS” threads already started, I decided to start this topic to keep track of my plans.

I have finally decided to go with 15mm, simply because it is cheaper to build up in to, and I can play in a small area.  I have a small table that is 60cm x 60cm that I can use for small battles, and 94 cm x 184 cm for bigger battles.

As the Khurasan web store reopened, I jumped in and ordered some Modern North Koreans and some Modern US to get the ball rolling and play some small games as I learn the rules (which wont take much), but I intend to get some Eureka Aussies to use as well.

What I need to do is come up with a fictional nation somewhere in Asia/Asia Pacific that a coalition of AU/US forces go in to defend and protect against a NK invasion. As it is set in the near future, the logistics of how NK could do this is irrelevant.

Most likely the invasion will have something to do with natural resources, so I will use this for future background.

Things to do:

Create the nation: name, flag, background information/data & map

Buy: A platoon of NK, support weapons and vehicles/aircraft

A platoon of US troops, support weaons, UVA and vehicles/aircraft

A platoon of Australian troops, support weapons (not a big option at the moment) and vehicles/aircraft.

Write up the Unit data (game stats) for all troops, and create my personalities.

Decide on the campaign type: not sure which one to use as yet, but I am thinking of playing the ‘Military Progression’ campaign, and maybe develop it in to the ‘Escalation’ campaign if it has the legs to carry it.

Make/buy scenery: most of the games I play are 28mm or 20mm, so I will need to see what scenery will be appropriate, and what I can make.

More thoughts as they come.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Sounds good Shelldrake , I’ll be using my Imagi-nation  The Sultanate of Ifat and it’s mercenary army V The Jihadist in a fight for the Oil rich valley of Taboole. The first game will be the Retaking of Oil Pumping Station Zebra… Er The Sultanate Of Ifat is a comic-opera take off on Casablanca/Monty Python and Cthulhu…

Edit. Found my figures!!

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by kyoteblue.
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Just placed an order for Eureka Australians though I may end up doing a “25 years from now” thing as well. It’s funny, this game essentially is my introduction into modern gaming as well (though I suppose it could work for WW2 just fine as well)

Peace-keepers operating in the ruins of the second American civil war, fighting for turf? (The losers are stuck with New Jersey).

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, particularly for vehicles.

Even a 60×60 cm table should give you a decent gaming space. The biggest change will be that you set up “moments before contact” instead of the longer “move into position” phase you tend to get in most games.

Just remember that the tanks are at point blank range, and you’ll be less upset when they blow up real fast 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Paul
    Participant

An excellent plan, shelldrake. I need to take a leaf out of your book and plan projects properly: my planning usually involves something along the lines of “Ooh, look at those guys, they would make great Cimmerians. Maybe I should put my (open ended) 28mm samurai, 28mm zombies, 28mm moderns, 28mm darkest Africa, 15mm VSF, 15mm moderns, and 20mm WWII projects on the back burner for a while and do a Hyborian Age warband. Of course, I’ll need someone for the lads to fight. Skraelings would make great Picts, and those Egyptians would make great Stygians, etc., etc.”

No End in Sight – a cool set of rules, and an apt description of the state of all my projects 🙁

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

shelldrake
    Participant

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, particularly for vehicles. 

This one is easy – for the Aussies, Eureka makes the Bushranger, plus I can use Abrams and LAV-25.  Australia is supposed to be retiring the Blackhawk, but I might have to use them until I can find who makes a 15mm MRH-90 helicopter.  Having said that, the best thing about a game set in the near future, I can make any military purchasing decision on behalf of the government and go with what ever I think is ‘cool’.

For the US I will go the usual suspects – I can ‘double dip’ with the Abram provided I don’t up national markings on the tanks, as well as using Bradley IFV and Humvees. If I use the Blackhawk for Australia, I can ‘double dip’ on that as well.

Khurasan makes NK tanks I can use; T-62, T-55 and BRT-60. If I feel like being nice to the NK invaders, I can upgrade their equipment with Soviet vehicles due to a treaty signed between the two nations.

In relation to the nation the NK will invade – I was thinking of creating an island nation, but would need to figure out why the world’s navies allowed such a big invasion force to land and take over.

Instead I will create a fictional nation on the continent, tinker with China and Russia – maybe they had a limited war, allowing certain areas of both nations to break away to create new nations.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

I thought the Australians had Leopard 2? Am I mistaken in that?

If the NK’s have gotten things together to invade somewhere, presumably they could also buy some new kit from China or Russia as well 🙂

A couple T55 is pretty much a sound decision no matter where in the world your game takes place 🙂 It really is the AK47 of tanks.

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

Australia retired the Leopard around 2007 some time and use the Abrams now.

Of course you are right about the t-55, which NK has more of than any other tank.

I wont be getting many tanks for my game – maybe one or two per side. I just wants them!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Australia retired the Leopard around 2007 some time and use the Abrams now. Of course you are right about the t-55, which NK has more of than any other tank. I wont be getting many tanks for my game – maybe one or two per side. I just wants them!

yeah, they make fun focus pieces for a force 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    Participant

Always have more tanks than you need….Patton Oswalt.

shelldrake
    Participant

Hmm – an idea for my campaign background: following the defeat of Russian forces in the Ukraine and the weakening of the Russian state as a whole by World sanctions, many Russian states cede from the CIS and declare themselves nations in their own right.

If I do this, I can have the Country of “Primorsky Krai” (Vladivostok) as the battle ground, which would be perfect for an invasion by NK as it is on its boarders. Given this area is a food producer, it is a worthy target for a starving nation.

Digging around I found reference to ‘Green Ukraine’ on wikipedia, which  would make my plan even easier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Ukraine

With US forces based in Japan and Korea, it would be easy for them to come to the assistance of this new Nation. Rather than deplete the US presence in South Korea, I would have troops shipped in for the campaign.  Australia would get involved due to treaty obligations.

This leads to two three questions:

1) would NK invade SK  (Or US/SK invade NK) when this happens?

2) Does NK fire missiles at Japan, targeting US forces there and bring Japan in to the conflict?  (If so, would I get away with using 15mm US army figure for Japanese? The weapons are slightly different, but does that matter at 15mm scale?)

3) Does China and Russia get involved?

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

If Russia seem to be breaking up, it’s highly likely that China will make its presence felt.

If we’re projecting several years out, assume the western economies have kept stagnating while China has found solutions to its problems, evening out the tech levels a little. North Korean aggression would almost certainly draw some type of response. NK decides to go out in a blaze of glory? South Korea decides to remove their troublesome cousins once and for all?

If Russia is in dire straits, don’t underestimate adventurous Georgians, vengeful Ukrainians and opportunistic Poles in Eastern Europe.

Tons of opportunities for small detachments of soldiers here and there.

If you want to make it really interesting, ponder US reactions to a China ascendant and poised to dominate the region completely. Rangers and Spetsnaz in the dark against Chinese mechanized infantry ?

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

All good points – it seems this war is becoming a very big thing

And the good thing is I don’t need to play the whole war – just my little area of it.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by shelldrake.
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

All good points – it seems this war is becoming a very big thing And the good thing is I don’t need to play the whole war – just my little area of it.

Yeah. I always figured a campaign where you’d jump between different hot spots would be fun to play, especially if you have a few different forces available.

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

Found this whilst trawling the net: the USMC Intel book on the North Koreas: http://fas.org/nuke/guide/dprk/nkor.pdf

and this: http://www.kpajournal.com/previous-issues/   the top of the page has an index to articles, and there is a lot of interesting things here!

These  will help with my plans greatly.

I was thinking of three levels of NK Troops:

Elite Units will be professional, with the latest and best equipment. Special forces and the best of the mechanized infantry and tank units in the army.

Normal units will be trained, with the older equipment. These will be in the majority of the invasion forces encountered; they will be mechanized infantry and tank units.

and

the “Red Guard” & “Young Guard” (militia units) will be irregular with basic equipment only. I wouldn’t expect these units to be part of the invasion force, rather in NK itself. These troops make up the majority of the NK army.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by shelldrake. Reason: spelling and gramma corrections
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Nice find. I guess it’d depend a lot on whether the NK’s are fighting on their own turf or not. If they are attacking, odds are a lot of it will be commando types. On the defence, every man who can carry a rifle and probably a few who can’t either.

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

For the initial invasion the commando types (which I think they call some of them ‘Light Infantry’?) would be doing the initial work securing objectives, with the armour and mech units crossing the boarders to back them up.

For my campaign I am planning that this has already happened, and the Allies are fighting front line armour and mech units… at least until the need to capture a very important objective or are being too successful.

I also had a thought – the country NK is invading would have an armed force too, so I should look at using some Russian troops for the local army.

shelldrake
    Participant

A map showing areas taken by NK.

The red is NK held areas the green is National held area.

This indicates where the invasion has developed by the time Coalition forces make unopposed landings to the North East of the country. By unopposed I mean no land forces to stop the landings. Air and naval battles operations conducted/ongoing leading up to this point.

The way the campaign will be conducted is to fight a battle with my platoon and tally the victory points after each battle.  I will match the points to the campaign chart on p51 of the rules to determine if the Coalition forces have captured the area and can move on to the next one etc.

I have decided to use victory points rather than dice rolling results. This might make for a very long campaign, but I can cope with that. It will keep me off street corners

kyoteblue
    Participant

Sounds good !!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

A map showing areas taken by NK. The red is NK held areas the green is National held area. This indicates where the invasion has developed by the time Coalition forces make unopposed landings to the North East of the country. By unopposed I mean no land forces to stop the landings. Air and naval battles operations conducted/ongoing leading up to this point. The way the campaign will be conducted is to fight a battle with my platoon and tally the victory points after each battle. I will match the points to the campaign chart on p51 of the rules to determine if the Coalition forces have captured the area and can move on to the next one etc. I have decided to use victory points rather than dice rolling results. This might make for a very long campaign, but I can cope with that. It will keep me off street corners

As long as you document it as you go along 🙂

Are you going to roll up characters for the various leaders as well?

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

Absolutely – The Platoon LT, SGT and the section/squad commanders will be characters, and if any soldier within the platoons does anything heroic, they will earn the right to be written up as a character.

I will have to create platoon rosters to keep track of everything, but that is dead easy to do.

I will even create a name generator to assist with naming the whole platoon(s) as I am horrible when it comes to thinking of names.

shelldrake
    Participant

I have been tinkering with a character sheet for game play, and this is the prototype so far:

The box to the right has room for placing game counters to represent stress or anything else I might need to use a counter for.

The small boxes next to wounds and grenades etc are crossed off when the character becomes wounded or uses grenades.

I will also be creating a Platoon roster and vehicle rosters to keep track of important information I need during game play.

kyoteblue
    Participant

How cool are those !!!!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

That’s really nice. You know, if you laminated them, you could just write on them with a dry erase marker.

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

That’s really nice. You know, if you laminated them, you could just write on them with a dry erase marker.

That is what I will be doing – I only typed in the information as an example to post here.

All the sheets will have the basic headings, but the details left blank so I can laminate them and update the information as needed.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Ivan sounds like you need to give someone credit on your next edition of No End In Sight.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Absolutely :-0

Though hopefully second editions are very far off.

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    Participant

Well some kind of Blurb for him.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

No worries, any contributions will be clearly marked.

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

Meh – I do it because I like the game and want to make it faster and easier to set up so I can play more

kyoteblue
    Participant

It’s still good work.

shelldrake
    Participant

And a sample of my platoon roster sheet – showing PLT HQ and the first section.  Again the details will be blank, the sheet laminated and details written in.

The information on the sheet isn’t complete, as I need to sit down and work out a few more details.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Cool !!

kyoteblue
    Participant

Got a copy of NEIS with your index printed off at Staples today . they look great !!!! Now I just need those character and platoon sheets.

shelldrake
    Participant

Hopefully there aren’t too many errors, and if someone comes up with any additions, I can always do an upgrade.

The sheets might be a bit longer, as I am tied up with work at the moment, but hope to have something soon.  I made the sheets as a word doc, but intend to convert them to a spreadsheet to make it easier for others to adapt… I am not so flash when it comes to using a spreadsheet, but will do my best there.

kyoteblue
    Participant

I have no idea how to use a spreadsheet so …any way Dude you’re making it easier for an old man like me to get into NEIS. So thanks again !!!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Might I recommend PDF instead? That way it should display correctly on pretty much anything.

If you need, I can convert them to PDF format for you.

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

Might I recommend PDF instead? That way it should display correctly on pretty much anything. If you need, I can convert them to PDF format for you.

That is my intent – create the sheets then convert them to PDF via a program I have that prints PDF instead of sending it to my printer.

I will send them to you via email once I make them for your approval.

shelldrake
    Participant

I have sent a generic version of the character sheet and platoon record sheet for approval. The roster sheet has been simplified as I realised not all nations/units have the same number of soldiers in their HQ or Sections/squads.

shelldrake
    Participant

And a sample of the vehicle roster sheet – again not fully filled out at this stage, but filled out enough to show how it is used:

This also has been emails for approval.

kyoteblue
    Participant

You have been busy shelldrake !!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.