Home Forums General General My plans for 2020

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    shelldrake
    Participant

I start a new job soon, so that will mean I acutally have a budget for the first time in a very long time.

This means I can actually do more than buy a figure here and there. With this in mind, here are some projects I would like to do in 2020:

Battlegroup: i started this project with a friend in 2019, so this is a continuation of that. We are playing with 15mm figures, and I will be able to afford the tanks and vehicles I need for my platoon level army.

As soon as the Pacific source book comes out, I intend to put together Australian and Japanese platoons in 15mm too.  Also very tempted to put together a Western Desert collection, but might do that in a smaller sized group with another set of rules.

What a Tanker: new project. I intend to do this in 6mm. I might have a better budget, but still want to save $ where I can. I am experimenting with a tray for a playing area, and beginning to mess around with mounted artist canvas for a slightly bigger area. This will be a solo project in the main, but will try to convince my Battlegroup opponent to use some of the 15mm tanks we are getting to play with him too.

Rangers of Shadow Deep: I bought the rules when the first came out, and have slowly been collecting figures for it. I hope to make this a big part of 2020 for me. Solo campaign only.

Burning Sands: This set of rules was a ‘gift from santa’ to myself for Christmas, and I intend to put together a Conan-esque 15mm game together for this. I will be ordering the Copplestone Barbarians and then additional figures and buildings etc from Crom’s Anvil. Hopefully they work well for solo games.

A Fist full of Lead et al: I have the first full of lead rules, and as these can be played solo or with others, this will also be a big focus for the year. Needing only five figures per side to begin with, it will really let me use a lot of my lead pile. There are so many sub projects I have in mind for these rules and have fired up my imagination and enthusiasm:

•  Star Wars: I have slowly been buying Star Wars Legion, especially when on sale, and this will be the major focus for the ‘Galaxy of Heroes’ version of ‘A Fist Full of Lead’.  With most of the Rogue One troops and characters being made, this has a lot of story telling potential for me.
    • French and Indian War: tempted to do this in 40mm, but might end up using 28mm
    • WW2 Western Desert: as mentioned in the Battlegroup part above, I might put together a British section and run with that in 28mm.
    • Romans vs Germans: I have a campain idea of some survivors of the Battle of Teutoburg Forest trying to get home in Germany, or something connected with the IX Legion in Britain.  I want to use the amazing Roman miniatures by Aventine Miniatures for this project. As I don’t need a lot of figures for the Romans, I am tempted to ask very nicely if Aventine will let me buy single figures instead of packs. Regardless, I am very interested in writing up the setting for this campaign idea.
    • Samurai: I love the setting, and not sure if I will use the 28mm Samurai/Ninja/Monk figures I already have for these rules, or use the “Bruning Sands” rules I recently purchased for this. I might give both a go and see which works best.
    • Wild West: I have a lot of figures already painted, so this will be easy to put together to play.

When Scotia Grendel put the Cold War 15mm range they purchased on their web site, I am very keen to do some Cold War gaming too. Just not sure on the rules I will use yet.

So, hopefully I wont extend myself too much with intended projects, and I am very tempted to buy in to Judge Dredd (again the Fist Full of Lead rules would work nicely here), and keen to learn more about the new Warlord games Napoloeonic ship game.

The main focus will be the Star Wars, Rangers of Shadow Deep, and What a Tanker for solo play, and Battlegroup for games with my friend.

Oh, and I am looking for a painting service to help paint my figures. If anyone can suggest a good one they know of in Victoria, Australia, please let me know.

Whirlwind
    Participant

That sounds like a very interesting bunch of projects – best of luck!

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Norm S
    Participant

Some good proposals that look like a richness of play in 2020 is on the cards :-).

I would like to start to break into Battlegroup this year, so will be interested in any write-ups that you do here.

Thomaston
    Participant

That’s a good list you got there. I’m lookimg forward to seeing the samurai project.

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

shelldrake
    Participant

That sounds like a very interesting bunch of projects – best of luck!

Thank you – I might need it 😉

shelldrake
    Participant

Some good proposals that look like a richness of play in 2020 is on the cards :-). I would like to start to break into Battlegroup this year, so will be interested in any write-ups that you do here.

This is a long slow burn project, as I am very slow to paint my miniatures, and I am relying on another player and getting the free time to align so we can play a game.

But, I will post here on Battlegroup when I have something to post.

I love these rules, but we found it is a set you really need to build all of your forces before playing, rather than get units here and there and play with what you have at the time.

shelldrake
    Participant

That’s a good list you got there. I’m lookimg forward to seeing the samurai project.

I have most of the figures to kick this off already, I just want to buy/make some scenery before starting. Keen to do this project too.

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

I’m both impressed and scared by that list!!!

I’ve been off work over two years with mental health issues and only now getting back into the hobby so my list is to learn and play two very simple games and do four bits of painting (some ruins and GW figures).

I hope you enjoy the tasks ahead.

shelldrake
    Participant

I’m both impressed and scared by that list!!! I’ve been off work over two years with mental health issues and only now getting back into the hobby so my list is to learn and play two very simple games and do four bits of painting (some ruins and GW figures). I hope you enjoy the tasks ahead.

I understand where you are coming from – I had severe depression back in 2008, and it took me ages be become even slightly interested in the hobby for ages.

Taking it slow and setting small, but achievable goals, was an important part of my recovery.

This is also one of the reasons I love the ‘Fist Full of Lead’ rules – you only need five figures per side to play an enjoyable game, and it really lets me use the lead pile I already have, rather than buy heaps of new armies.

I do need a painting service though… my eyes just don’t seem to last long painting anymore, and I much prefer making scenery anyway 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.