Home Forums General Blogs My thoughts on stripping figures to repaint

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    whitphoto
    Participant

I blogged about my thoughts on stripping painted minis as part of my blog series on my 2020 painting goals.

http://www.addictedtolead.net/2020/03/14/not-one-step-back/

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Interesting thoughts.

I know there is one YouTube channel that is dedicated to ‘rescuing’ eBay figures and only some of them are stripped.

Normally I buy ‘clean’ figures but have stripped some using Dettol with great success.  Main reason I’ve done this is to remove the bits the previous stripper has not taken off – that does not read quite right for some reason

whitphoto
    Participant

I’m subscribed to that channel, they’re great videos but mostly GW stuff. It’s still good for painting tips and I watch it while hobbying at night.

Mike
    Keymaster

but have stripped some using Dettol with great success.

me too.

MartinR
    Participant

I’m far too lazy to strip figures. I just spray them black and start over. Hats off to people who do.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

jeffers
    Participant

I tried using Dettol after reading about it here but I was unimpressed with the result. It took the surface off but that was all, even after three days of repeat soaking and brushing. I’ll stick to Nitromors!

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

I tried using Dettol after reading about it here but I was unimpressed with the result. It took the surface off but that was all, even after three days of repeat soaking and brushing. I’ll stick to Nitromors!

I moved to Dettol for two reasons – its easier on the hands than Nitromors and the smell is OK (reminds me of being ill when young – now THAT IS ODD). The only thing I have found that strips everything off is brake fluid and that’s worse than Nitromors on some plastics and the hands

Mike
    Keymaster

Was that on enamel paint or acrylic or?
    I had great success on acrylic paint.

Thorsten Frank
    Participant

Me too!

After learning that the stuff is called Sagrotan here. And I used tons of it over the years on my 6mm stuff.
    Reatively cheap and easy to get.
    But I´ ve got one question – how do you dispose this stuff in your respective countries? Here it´ s more or less a pain in the arse because it cost a lot of money to bring it to the community disposal. In recent years I cheated a it and disposed them at filling stations in used motor oil bottles.
    And toilet or even in the backyard is even much more expensive on the long run.

@Jeffers
    : Nitro stuff? I´ m with Mike here – do you use oil-based paints?

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Mr. Average
    Participant

I stick with SimpleGreen – non-toxic and biodegradable, can go into a sanitary sewer without generating a biohazard.  And in regard to the OP, I routinely strip paint from my old minis, generally in preference to buying new ones, especially more so today than previously, since I’m on a strict gaming budget right now.  I know some people consider it “going backwards” but it has saved a number of projects for me.

jeffers
    Participant

I’m pretty sure it was enamel. I don’t normally need to strip old figures because I’m a brilliant painter and filthy rich. I’m only doing this to see how poor people live.

On a more serious note, I’ve used Nitro on metal. It only needs a small amount and I use my trusty spray mask and handle the toys with tongs. It’s been years since I did this, but somebody kindly gave me some old Hinchliffes and they deserve to see action again. Dettol sounded a lot easier!

Andrew – did your mum put diluted dettol in a bowl for you to be sick in? Perhaps too much information…

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

Mike
    Keymaster

I don’t normally need to strip old figures because I’m a brilliant painter and filthy rich. I’m only doing this to see how poor people live.

I did chuckle.

Maybe it was cos the paint was enamel, worked great on acrylics..

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Could it be due to a varnish layer?

I’ve stripped figures with acrylic undercoat (both black and white) as well as old full painted figures – wonder if older or newer paint mixes impact the result?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.