Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Napoleonics at AdeptiCon 2018

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bandit Bandit 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bandit
    Bandit
    Participant

Here’s a photo of our first ESR Napoleonics game at AdeptiCon 2018 using figures from our ESR Box Sets and buildings by Battlescale.

More photos of the game and a brief description of the action are available in our gallery.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Not knowing much about Nappies I wouldn’t know which of the moves was foolish (other than being caught crossing) but I think it’s really cool that there are more games than just the tourny types going on at Adepticon.  I went 2 years ago and it was a great time and the Con runners are very open to having a wider variety of games.

Question about force setups in your game: are armies all historical or is there a way to create ImagiNations?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Bandit
    Bandit
    Participant

Not knowing much about Nappies I wouldn’t know which of the moves was foolish (other than being caught crossing) but I think it’s really cool that there are more games than just the tourny types going on at Adepticon.  I went 2 years ago and it was a great time and the Con runners are very open to having a wider variety of games.

Frankly, we were blown away by how much interest in historicals there was. I expected it to be an up hill battle to convince players that we had something of interest for them but we got a terrific response and the convention staff were very supportive and interested in what we were bringing to the convention.

Question about force setups in your game: are armies all historical or is there a way to create ImagiNations?

We don’t provide a framework for ImagiNations but I don’t think there is anything to prohibit them. The Raising an Army supplement included in The Complete Player’s Guide offers lots of details on how and when to apply different characteristics and historical examples of them being applied that someone into ImagiNations could use for their own ends.

What sort of specific support, if any, does such require or benefit from?

Cheers,

The Bandit

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That’s great that they were so responsive.  When we took our HUGE pirate game up they bent over backwards to help us in loading and putting away as well as managing the crowd/viewers.  They were a pretty well oiled machine, i even heard their tournaments went smoothly (a rarity at most cons!)

We don’t provide a framework for ImagiNations but I don’t think there is anything to prohibit them. The Raising an Army supplement included in The Complete Player’s Guide offers lots of details on how and when to apply different characteristics and historical examples of them being applied that someone into ImagiNations could use for their own ends.

That’s perfect!  I personally have no idea what is really different between a Heavy Cavalry and Curiasser, and things like what characteristics and when is brilliant to use for ImagiNations.  I love history, but the few times I have engaged in attempts at playing Napolionics I have fallen foul of the “button counters” and been turned off.  I’d rather play ImagiNations as then those same people couldn’t cast stones, as well as loving the fun of creating.

What sort of specific support, if any, does such require or benefit from?

Now that is a bit tougher of a question for me.  I’d think that if there was some sort of points system that would help with unit creation, as well as some sort of way to help generate those army design “starting funds” for campaign type games.  All of the info and details that help a newbie really put together an army.  Games that have a sort of build system that I have played have helped me decide whether a +2 to some unit’s initial attack upon charging is worth the cost of say losing a point in basic moral, but from a historical stand point I have no idea if it’d be better to use Grenadiers or Life Guards or why to take the 35th Rifles over the 23rd Rifles without some sort of performance break down…

Bandit
    Bandit
    Participant

That’s perfect!  I personally have no idea what is really different between a Heavy Cavalry and Curiasser, and things like what characteristics and when is brilliant to use for ImagiNations.  I love history, but the few times I have engaged in attempts at playing Napolionics I have fallen foul of the “button counters” and been turned off.  I’d rather play ImagiNations as then those same people couldn’t cast stones, as well as loving the fun of creating.

Well, if it helps any, our ESR Napoleonic Campaign Guides include both scenarios *and* uniform plates, so you can paint right from them. But with that said, creating your own historical world is pretty cool, so not trying to dissuade you.

I’d think that if there was some sort of points system that would help with unit creation, as well as some sort of way to help generate those army design “starting funds” for campaign type games.  All of the info and details that help a newbie really put together an army.

We’re currently working on a point based army builder that can be used by players who’d rather not use strictly historical orders of battle, so that might speak to this.

Also… Our 2nd ESR Napoleonics game at AdeptiCon, the French managed to succeed in forcing an Austrian withdrawal, but it was costly.

Lots more photos and a brief rundown of the action can again be found in our Gallery.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Sounds like a great game!

Ok, I’ve read the reviews, watched the video, checked out multiple AARs and I think I’m hooked!  When does the Complete Guide come out?

Bandit
    Bandit
    Participant

Sounds like a great game!

Thanks!

Ok, I’ve read the reviews, watched the video, checked out multiple AARs and I think I’m hooked!  When does the Complete Guide come out?

We’re having The Complete Player’s Guide reprinted presently, it is available to be ordered and we *hope* to have it restocked and shipping again next month (in May). And not knowing where you’re located, I should point out that it is still in-stock in the UK (via Magister Militum).

Cheers,

The Bandit

Bandit
    Bandit
    Participant

Our 3rd and final ESR Napoleonics game of AdeptiCon 2018:

Turns out the Austrian grenadier division should have turned left instead of right, would have been a completely different game!

Cheers,

The Bandit

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

We’re having The Complete Player’s Guide reprinted presently, it is available to be ordered and we *hope* to have it restocked and shipping again next month (in May). And not knowing where you’re located, I should point out that it is still in-stock in the UK (via Magister Militum).

Ordered!

I’m down Texas way, won’t be a problem to wait.

Bandit
    Bandit
    Participant

Thank you! And hope that you enjoy it. And… please don’t hesitate to ping us with questions if need be.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.