Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Native / Pict Huts

Tagged: ,

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    cmnashcmnash
    Participant

Having recently been forced* by Crom’s Anvil to get into 15mm fantasy, I’ve been making some huts for my Copplestone Picts – although they may be non-specific natives …

I thought I’d share a pic of work-in-progress – the figure is the Crom’s Anvil Warrior

The smaller hut was made with a 40mm diameter lipped plastic base with a card (from a toilet roll inner) wall glued to the outside, while the larger used a 50mm base. They then had coffee stirrer planks added and the roofs were made from cocktail sticks with paper stuck to the top and then toilet roll PVA’d to that to create some texture.

EDITED:  Forgot to include that after the steps above, I glued the huts to 2mm MDF bases to strengthen them

* – that’s my story & I’m sticking to it!

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by cmnashcmnash.
    • This topic was modified 2 years ago by cmnashcmnash.

Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

Yeah baby!!

What is the sack/barrel/thing made from?

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

Yeah baby!! What is the sack/barrel/thing made from?

Ah … well … this is related to the bit that I missed when describing how I made them …

The bit outside the door of the larger hut – which will be the chief/shaman’s hut – is going to be a stool and will be flanked by some Crom’s Anvil skulls (not sure what they’ll be on/attached to yet!)

Anyway, as I’m diabetic, I have a steady supply of syringe needle protectors and that is the end of one of them. I used the rest of the protector as a central support for the cocktail stick roof, which allowed me to have the ‘smoke-hole’ in its middle.

If you/anyone else is interested, I can add pic’s showing what it looks like (but that will be tomorrow)

AltiusAltius
    Participant

Nice job. The coffee stirrer boards look good.

Where there is fire, we will carry gasoline

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

Nice job. The coffee stirrer boards look good.

Thanks Altius. However I’m increasingly dissatisfied with the roofs, so, while Conan is on ( the remake), I’m trying something new …

Maybe a pic tomorrow, if all goes well!

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

I added a new roof to one of the huts last night; here it is in a couple of views:

much better!

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Defo worth the extra effort, that looks very nice.

Thomaston
    Participant

The new roof is really nice, what’s it made of?

I also like the old roof, looks like mud, more primitive and less agrarian.

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

The new roof is really nice, what’s it made of?

Thanks Thomaston.  My daughter got me one of these fibre optic lights (they cost about £5 or so) a few years ago. When it broke, I kept all the fibres as I thought they’d come in handy one day – and they finally have! 

I also like the old roof, looks like mud, more primitive and less agrarian.

I agree, but they just seemed to be ‘not enough’ somehow …

I’ve made 1 of the bigger & 5 of the smaller size huts and I’m going to ‘update’ the roofs of all of them to the newer style, but I’m thinking I might make a couple of smaller – maybe square or rectangle – storage buildings with the ‘first edition’ roof

Thomaston
    Participant

Daym, forget agrarian, those picts are advanced civilization if they use fiber optic for roof.

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

Daym, forget agrarian, those picts are advanced civilization if they use fiber optic for roof.

LOL! – literally! got a strange look from the office after I read that!  

Ampersand AndyAmpersand Andy
    Participant

Nice improvement on the roof,  a clever way to create detail.

My daughter has one of those lamps, a gift from a friend at Christmas. Be a shame if something happened to it….

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

I like the new roof as well.

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

I really like those roofs, the inconsistency in the lengths really looks fantastic.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

Nice improvement on the roof, a clever way to create detail. My daughter has one of those lamps, a gift from a friend at Christmas. Be a shame if something happened to it….

It is strange how easily mine broke …  

I really like those roofs, the inconsistency in the lengths really looks fantastic.

Thank-you Darkest Star – that is exactly what I was after!

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by cmnashcmnash.

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

I tried another variant for the roofs last night; I used cocktail sticks for the chief’s/shaman’s/council hut:

I also added the pillars for skulls beside the door. I think I’ll remove the ‘stool’ though as it’s too close to the entrance

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

And yet another variant – plastic plant leaves this time! no paint on the leaves at all at the moment; hopefully it won’t look quite so plastic-y once some paint has been put on it

and a group shot …

Although the fibre roof looks good, it is such a pain-in-the-neck to do it that I tried the leaves.  I’m quite pleased with it at the moment, but am hoping it looks better with paint. As I said before, I’ve made 5 of the small huts and will have 2 fibre- & 3 leaf- roofed huts (eventually!)

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I like the leaves, depending on how high fantasy your games are they could double as beast scales..

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

I finished making the huts’ roofs & put some paint on them over the weekend.  In the end I used the fibres for the others so only have the one ‘leafy’ roof.

The more I looked at, the more dissatisfied with it I became. In the end, I painted the leaves black, but I’m still not entirely happy with it, to the point where I might just rip them all off and use fibres instead …

And I think I overdid the black wash I used as well … it was really had to tell in the artificial light last night … oh well.

Hopefully I’ll be able to put a picture up tomorrow

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

Well here’s a couple of pictures as the huts are at present (this time with a Copplestone Pict for comparison):

and, in the end I did take the ‘leaves’ off that roof and will replace with fibres.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Coolio Boolio.

😀

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

Looks great!

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

Coolio Boolio. 😀

Looks great!

Thanks gents.  I put a new roof on the leafy hut last night, but no paint on it yet. Will get that done tonight and take a pic in the morning as I’ve put the leaves on the walls now

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

So huts done for now:

need to do the bases still, and add some decoration (reach for bag of Crom’s Anvil’s skulls)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.