Home Forums General General Naval and Air Forums

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    DM
    Participant

A suggestion – could we have dedicated naval and air forums subdivided into eras? They are both fairly niche subject areas and it might help to increase awareness and accessibility if their posts were corralled like that. Any thoughts?

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

If they’re fairly niche, why do you want them further sub-divided?

And, for Pete’s sake, how much sub-division for aircraft “eras” can you have anyway?

"I'm not signing that"

DM
    Participant

I thought maybe WW1, WW2 and modern for air

Ancient, & Medieval, Armada/Renaissance, Age of Sail, Ironclad, Predreadnought and WW1, WW2 and Modern for naval

Rules Junkie Jim
    Participant

Yeah, I think separate naval and air forums would be a good idea. Now’s the time to do it while the site’s still young. I understand proliferation of fora(?) might be a concern, but it’s not exactly excessive. Plus, I love ironclads.

Luddite
    Participant

It’s a good idea, but to avoid proliferation just have one board for air and one for naval.

Don Glewwe
    Participant

Speaking for air, I could see the value of a single forum because so many issues apply across time periods, so that a single thread in, say, the WW2 forum may be missed by someone who only does WW1 or modern…dunno if the same holds true for naval?

I don’t see any value in separate era-specific forums: there’s room aplenty in the existing era boards, and a suitably titled thread should reach its intended audience.

https://brawlfactory.net/

Sparker
    Participant

Haven’t we already had this debate? I don’t really care either way, but lets not reraise every issue ‘until the voters come back with the right answer’ – We’re not all from Eire!

(Notoriously the ROI was forced by the EU to repeat a plebicites on entering the Eurozone until they came back with the ‘right’ answer ( – the ‘right’ answer for the Dublin Eurocracy, but presumably not the economists or anyone armed with a crystal ball…)

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

Mike
    Keymaster

I am currently inclined to say no.
    Because…

WWI naval should be in the WWI forum.
    WWII air should be in the WWII forum.
    sci-fi ‘naval’ should be in the sci-fi forum.
    Modern naval should be in the modern forum.

I want to try and keep the actual genre/era/period the binding aspect of the forums rather than how we play that specific period/genre/etc call it what you will.

So the focus is on the setting rather on how we play that setting.

WWII would cover:
    Land
    Air
    Naval
    Land skirmish
    Land skirmish 6mm
    Land skirmish 15mm
    Land skirmish 25mm
    Land big battles
    Land big battles 2mm
    Land big battles 3mm
    Land big battles 6mm
    Land big battles 10mm
    Land big battles 15mm
    Land big battles 25mm
    Air one on one dogfights
    Air battle of Britain big battles
    etc.

I understand the desire for some people to want to create a specific forum that appeals specifically to their favourite things, after all I did start the petition for a 6mm sci-fi board on TMP, so I do get where you are coming from.
    I honestly do.

But I want to try and keep boards to a minimum, especially when there is a board that will suffice.
    The WWII forum is not just for land; it is just that land battles are more popular so the majority of topics there are about that.

If we have a separate forum for naval and air, then you also have much less chance of converting the land players to your great ways, that and if on a separate forum they may even miss your posts altogether.

So for now, I say no and those are my reasons.
    I hope you understand them even if you don’t agree with them.
    I feel especially bad saying no to you DM as you are a person I know and have met and like (not that this means I don’t like the rest of you!) and you have been good to me over the last few weeks.

But I feel I must stay with my vision/plans and remain true to my motives for TWW.

Anyway, I expect a friendly ear bashing on Sunday from you DM about trying to change my mind!

😀

DM
    Participant

Ok, its just one of the things I quite like about having the aviation and naval boards on TMP. Makes it easier to find naval stuff rather than pawing through stuff that isn’t relevant.

If its  a crap idea the c’est la vie

DM
    Participant

Haven’t we already had this debate? I don’t really care either way, but lets not reraise every issue ‘until the voters come back with the right answer’ – We’re not all from Eire!

Have we? I don’t know. Just thought it was a good idea worth raising

Mike
    Keymaster

Never said it was crap, just that I am currently inclined to say no.

🙂

John D Salt
    Participant

Since naval warfare has been difficult to dissociate from the influences of air ever since the invention of air, I suggest having a single new forum called “aeronaval”. Obviously, before the 20th century this means “naval”.

Any more than one additional board would, to me, smack of superabundant overfecundity and excessive proliferoxity.

All the best,

John.

Rules Junkie Jim
    Participant

I’ve been trying to think of a way of subliminally encouraging Mike to change his mind… but I can’t.

So I’ll just say that I tend to think of naval warfare of one era having more in common with naval warfare of a different era than it does with the land warfare of the same era.

If that stunner of an argument doesn’t convince, then I’ll fold!

Sparker
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sparker wrote:</div>

Have we? I don’t know. Just thought it was a good idea worth raising

Yes, a couple of times….

http://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/naval-wargaming-topics/

http://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/naval-wargaming-2/

I really can see both sides of the argument – I had to post a batrep of Anglo-Dutch game in the Napoleonic section because it had been to compare FLOB to Trafalgar, and fully expected to be pulled up for it, but seemed to get away with it…And yet we should all be thinking ‘Purple’ these days, what!

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Here’s another reason

This is a snapshot of the forums home page right now

the http://web.archive.org/web/20141126152542/http://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/

Now, it’s hardly hyper-busy is it? Anyone with half an interest in the Battle of Britain can trot along to the WWII forum and peruse the front page

http://web.archive.org/web/20141126152908/http://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/forum/wwii/

then scroll down and look at the threads (and note that the oldest topic there is from a month ago, so things aren’t exactly falling off the page).

Not really arduous is it?

"I'm not signing that"

Am I missing something or doesn’t tagging a post/topic allow someone to search for it? So if you were looking for air or naval specific posts/topics wouldn’t a search under those terms bring them up? That is providing the poster tagged the posts in the first place of course…

Mike
    Keymaster

The search will also pull from the topic content too, so you don’t even need to TAG it.

Nick the Lemming
    Participant

If that’s so effective, why do we have any categories at all?

Mike
    Keymaster

If that’s so effective, why do we have any categories at all?

I am not sure most people would want it.
    I think people want TWW to be similar to TMP but moderated in a different fashion.
    It has what TMP has but with lots more, here are its key features:

Easy to navigate forum
    Topics/threads you can subscribe to
    Boards/forums you can subscribe to
    Gaming related only topics, no politics
    List of new topics
    List of latest posts
    No deletion or censoring of posts that adhere to forum rules
    Forum rules apply to everyone
    Forum search function that is quick and easy to use
    News search function that is quick and easy to use
    Links to gaming related topics on other sites are allowed
    E-mails to TWW staff normally answered within 24 hours
    News from manufacturers
    Magazine section
    An interactive Event Calendar
    Private messages that show the whole conversation
    Users online feature
    Traders that send in news will also have their news posted to Twitter, Google+ and Facebook
    Traders will also receive an e-mail to notify them that their news is published
    No down time
    Automated paid membership system

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I think people want TWW to be similar to TMP

I don’t

"I'm not signing that"

DM
    Participant

…..I think people want TWW to be similar to TMP …. 

yes, TMP has naval air air boards 😀

Luddite
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Editor Mike wrote:</div>
    I think people want TWW to be similar to TMP

I don’t

Niether do I.

(Apart from the Naval and Air boards)

Mike
    Keymaster

Do you still want a naval forum?

Nick the Lemming
    Participant

Depends, does it come with a Colonial forum and an Interwar forum too? 😀

Mike
    Keymaster

Depends, does it come with a Colonial forum and an Interwar forum too? :D

No.
    Baby steps, baby steps..

🙂

Rules Junkie Jim
    Participant

Do you still want a naval forum?

Yes siree bob!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.