Home Forums General General Naval Wargaming

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Do we need/want a separate Naval Wargaming board?

Participant

No

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

Reasons, Connard, reasons.

Participant

I’m against ghettoisation.

The fewer boards, the more likely I, and others,  are to read them.

Not rocket surgery is it?

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

Not Connard Sage speaks sooth.

Bunch of monkeys on your ceiling, sir!

Participant

So I go to Horse and Musket for Napoleonic naval gaming; and WW1 for WW1 naval gaming; and WW2 for WW2 naval gaming; and Modern for Modern naval gaming; and Horse and Musket for Pirate ship gaming; and…

Many thanks, Connard. And I won’t suRgest where you can stick your rocket.

Participant

One question I would ask (and answer) is: ‘Does wargaming, for instance, naval battles of the First Punic War have more in common with WW2 Naval actions than with ancient land battles?’  I suggest that naval wargaming covers an awful lot of different periods, and that periods where there is a possibility of naval wargaming are very different from each other.  In my opinion, naval wargaming topics are best included on the board that is relevant for the period.

I have some interest in ancient naval wargaming.  I also have an interest in ancient land wargaming.  I am more likely to notice topics on ancient naval warfare on the ancients board than in a separate naval wargaming board.  Conversely, if I start a topic on ancient naval battles, I am less likely to bore someone silly on the ancients board than if I post it on the board where most ancient wargamers will miss it, and a lot of the people using it are more likely to want to recreate the Battle of Midway than the effect of not allowing the hulls of triremes to dry out frequently enough.

Participant

Conversely, Richard, I, and others, am interested in various periods of naval gaming -pirate , Napoleonic, ironclad, pre-dreadnought, WW1, WW2, and modern- but not in their corresponding land games. It seems to me that without a Naval Wargaming board, naval gaming will become ‘ghetto-ised’, as our friend suggested, on these other boards. Something he wished to avoid.

Participant

In my opinion, naval wargaming topics are best included on the board that is relevant for the period.

FWIW, my opinion too! As a retired naval officer…

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

Participant

I agree with Richard Lee! I am interested in naval wargaming in some periods, but not in others.

Participant

Better go along with the opinion of Senior Naval Officer present, then:  Sub Lt Sparker.

Participant

and Horse and Musket for Pirate ship gaming

Pirates (and privateers, c.1700 Caribbean etc) games often have a part of sea battle and a part of skirmish on land, and it would be difficult to separate them from their historical period.

I understand the reasons for the question, but… it wouldn’t work well.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Participant

Better go along with the opinion of Senior Naval Officer present, then: Sub Lt Sparker.

Well that’ll be a first!

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

Participant

No separate board.

I too am only interested in one period of Naval Wargaming. In fact I don’t even see it as a separate genre.

My interests are WW2. All of it; land sea and air. This multi-dimensional aspect is what makes WW2 interesting as a wargames period and differentiates it from eveything that went before.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.