Home Forums General General Naval wargaming topics

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Billy Fish
    Participant

Is there anyway of finding out how many naval wargames topics have already been posted? Short of trawling each board, that is?

Mike
    Keymaster

Yes, assuming people have used TAGs correctly: http://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/features-of-tww/

Luddite
    Participant

Makes no sense to me. Care to explain what a TAG is ?

ExtraCrispy
    Participant

When someone starts a topic, if they scroll down there is a text box where they can add “tags” to the topic. The Tags are searchable. So if they add the Naval tag you can find it whether the topic was posted to WW2, SciFi or Napoleonics.

But I don’t think they are used regularly. And you can’t add them after the fact so if a thread starts with, say, a question about forts that turns in to a naval discussion you won’t see that. And it all assumes the person starting the thread uses them, and tags what you think is valuable versus what they think is valuable.

Mike
    Keymaster

Makes no sense to me. Care to explain what a TAG is ?

Click my signature it will take you a very useful part of the forum.

Luddite
    Participant

Thanks.

I’ve never used tags, as I suspect many of my generation haven’t and I don’t plan on starting now. This seems like creating extra work for posters to mitigate the functionality problems of the site.

I don’t have time whilst browsing forums to drill down and see if there are any posts that interest me on every single topic. Why not have a “show unread posts” option like many of the other forums ?

Knockman
    Participant

Slightly confusing to me too, but that’s generally because I sign everything ‘TAG‘ as those are my initials. Indeed, many of my friends call me that and have done for years now. Gave up using ‘TAG‘ for an ID as folks kept asking me about the next releases from The Assault Group, and didn’t want to impinge upon the chaps’ business

Mike
    Keymaster

Thanks.
    I’ve never used tags, as I suspect many of my generation haven’t and I don’t plan on starting now. This seems like creating extra work for posters to mitigate the functionality problems of the site.

TAGS are part of the functionality of the site though.
    Simply because something is different does not mean it is broken.
    It could be argued that on say LAF, the forum there has functionality problems as it does not use TAGs.

I don’t have time whilst browsing forums to drill down and see if there are any posts that interest me on every single topic.

I am not sure I know how to make a function that recognises what topics would be of interest to you.
    Posting in the relevant board and using TAGS would work if you are willing to try it.

Why not have a “show unread posts” option like many of the other forums ?

Firstly I have not said we won’t so don’t write that off as an option.
    🙂
    But also bear in mind I am not a coder so it would have to be something easy to do.
    I would also question how having a section that shows posts you have not read would help you know if they were interesting?

I can see you are frustrated, I do get that.
    Also, have you tried searching naval? It brings up 49 results.

Luddite
    Participant

Tim: thanks for that. I’m familiar with Google advanced search but had never considered using it within a site before now.

Mike: “I would also question how having a section that shows posts you have not read would help you know if they were interesting?”

I have a brain(very much like a computer, but smarter). I am capable of looking at a post title and deciding if it would be of interest to me before clicking on it. When I used to use PMT the front page was useful for listing all posts which I could visually analyse and decide which ones to open. I’d estimate this method saves me looking at about 75% of the stuff I am not interested in. Forums with “show unread posts” and “mark as read” functionality also allow me to do this.

Mike
    Keymaster

I think we can make a section much like the current Latest Posts, but make it Latest Topics.
    But it would be limited in number, probably to 5 just like the Latest Posts section.

Would that be a help?

Also, did you try just searching naval in the search box?

ExtraCrispy
    Participant

A quick note on using Google. You can do that from the main google window. Just add site:thewargameswebsite.com to your search terms. So looking for zouaves uniform you would search:

zouaves uniform site:thewargameswebsite.com

ExtraCrispy
    Participant

One issue I have with the tags is the little window where you can put them is below the bottom of my screen when I start a thread. So I don’t get that visual cue to do it. The other is the spelling and terminology challenge. Is it jager or jaeger or jäger? Color or colour? And you get differing results depending on whether you search kr 16 or KR16. Then you have the acronym issue. Is it Flames of War or FoW? 40K or Warhammer 40k or WarHammer 40 K? Tags can be a powerful tool but they require adoption of a certain lexicon and grammar to really work.

One other note about the TWW search box. It returns POSTS. So having just searched on “Naval” I got 51 results most of which appear to be from this thread. And it shows me each POST that contains Naval. I then have to go through these to identify each THREAD that contains naval.

I’m not trying to be difficult. But as currently configured it appears TAGS don’t actually add any functionality to the site. Whether I put naval in the body of my message, in the title of the thread or in a tag, search works the same way. Or am I missing something? Is there a way to search just tags?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.