Home Forums Modern Need Help With Modern Imagi-Nation/Alternate History

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Somebody help me! I’m about to start a campaign, but need an idea for another. Here’s the situation: I have a small, freedom loving but war-mongering nation that has expeditionary forces ready to deploy to right wrongs, free the oppressed, etc… We have conventional forces and special operations types standing by to deploy anywhere in the world (except Cuba and the Balkans, those are already handled), though it should be a relatively small deployment.

Here’s the particulars:

-the time is April/May 1990 (I like to use Imagi-Nations based off of real world events, like my upcoming Balkans campaign based off the breakup of Yugoslavia). I like my concepts to make sense in the overall (or even particular) scheme of what’s going on in the world.

-my country can deploy between 20 and 200 regular and/or special operations troops.

-can be anywhere in the world (minus Cuba and the Balkans), can be made up country or real, but I need at least a rough geographical location.

-I need a roster of the players, i.e., who are the good guys, the bad guys, the indifferents, etc… Everyone we’re likely to run into in the battle area, and the more the merrier. For example, in my Balkans campaign I’ll have ‘good guy’ militia (the ones that called for help), bad guy regulars, bad guy militia, Yugoslavian conscripts, and Serbian Special Forces).

-I need a raison d’etre: is a minority ethnic group being slaughtered and the world is only watching? Is a peace loving nation being invaded? Has an insurgency sprung up? Have narco-traffickers moved in? What is the situation that needs rectifying/neutralizing?

Thanks in advance for any help you all may provide, and please let it flow, nothing is too crazy. We could even head to the Sulfanate of Ifat, just need a reason 😉

V/R,
    Jack

William Jones
    Participant

All, Somebody help me! I’m about to start a campaign, but need an idea for another. Here’s the situation: I have a small, freedom loving but war-mongering nation that has expeditionary forces ready to deploy to right wrongs, free the oppressed, etc…

Freedom loving and war-mongering…  No, there will be no inherent contradictions or awkward conflicts there at all. 

I think you need to flesh out the ideology of this entity a bit more.  Are they something like Templars, or more like Swiss mercenaries?  Does this country more resemble Jacobin France or the Roman Republic?  Do they have a mystic belief in their utter uniqueness and that they are indispensable for the continued turnings of the solar system and cosmos?  This is something of a role play exercise.  What drives this culture?  What are its imperatives and taboos?  Are the people flexible or rigid overall?

I need a raison d’etre: is a minority ethnic group being slaughtered and the world is only watching? Is a peace loving nation being invaded? Has an insurgency sprung up? Have narco-traffickers moved in? What is the situation that needs rectifying/neutralizing?

If you get more of a fix on the culture, their pecking order for enemies will emerge with more clarity.  Will they enthusiastically die on someone else’s hill to secure universal suffrage and paid vacations for all of oppressed Vulgaria, or do they need a clear objective benefit to themselves to insure the free flow of rancid grain and poorly made souvenirs through the Hellespont, without interference from Trojan customs agents?

This sounds like a lot of fun, but making a credible doctrinal base for this limited band of interventionists will create more satisfaction all around.

Just Jack
    Participant

William,

You may be overthinking this a bit 😉  But here goes:

-my country has recently fought a war of liberation to overthrow a dictator.
    -a constitutional republic has been established and free elections have put the first president in office.
    -the country is now on the western democracy side of things, vice the Soviet/Warsaw Pact or non-aligned (think North Korea, Iran, China, and Cuba) side of things.
    -The country’s use of its expeditionary force is entirely 100% idealistic, there is no thought to national interest/profiteering (this is my wargaming utopia, free from such matters as I’m not at all interested in getting into political debates about this).  So they will absolutely die on someone else’s hill to protect someone else’s life/freedom, free of charge, with no other motivating factors necessary.
    -The country has been oppressed by a dictator for the past 60 years and is very sensitive to other people’s being oppressed, and is fairly renowned for its opposition to genocide, so will gladly pitch in to help fledgling democracies (that’s what my other campaign, set to start next weekend, is about), free the oppressed, protect the weak, etc…
    -My country has pissed off Iran (case of being in wrong spot at the wrong time).  Iran has yet to retaliate, but it will happen sooner or later (I’m thinking something like Iran-sponsored terrorist group blows up one of my country’s embassies, for example), and then my country will respond, though it would best be if the response was a proxy war of some sort, as my country and Iran are not really in position to invade each other.
    -Venezuela has pissed off my country (by supporting the dictator during the War of Liberation), and that will come to a head at some point.  Again, I’m looking at more proxy war-type stuff, not either country invading the other.

So, freedom loving and war mongering, in defense of freedom loving peoples; if they weren’t I wouldn’t have much of a background for wargaming.  I hope that answers the mail.

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.