Home Forums Horse and Musket 18th Century Neil Thomas OHW Scenario 6: Flank Attack I

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Please see here for the next in this series of refights of the scenarios in Neil Thomas’ One Hour Wargames with Baccus 6mm WSS figures, this time featuring two armies in situations somewhat resembling those at Salamanca…

Participant

I meant to write earlier this week about how much I was enjoying this series of games.

So much so I tracked down the Simplicity in Practice rules and downloaded them. That’s about the complexity level my brain likes to deal with theses days! (cf comment on WRG All Arms Land Warfare rules 1925-50!).

None of my horse and musket armies really fit the basis for the rules, but I’ll work round that .(and maybe indulge in some new small armies if it works for me?).

Thanks again for inspiration.

Participant

Personally, I think the best thing about NT’s rules aren’t mentioned too often.  Simplicity in rules is currently in vogue (which I wholeheartedly approve of) so he’s not unique in that, but rather I think the  large amount of fascinating and interesting scenarios is the true hidden gem.

My own personal preference is that perhaps too many corners were filed off in Mr Thomas’ rules for my tastes, but I rather like using the scenarios with other rules, like DBA.  I always roll my eyes at rules (like DBA) that nominate an “attacker” and a “defender”, yet have both armies identical in strength, and provide no reason for an “attacker” to actually attack.

Participant

Thanks very much Guy, that is much too kind.  But I have noticed that I never have the slightest internal resistance to getting a small game of Simplicity in Practice on the table with one of these scenarios, they just give fun wargames with a good dollop of tactical challenge. It is a potent combination for me!  Some rules are a bit harder on the brain and I have to be in the right mood, others are a bit harder to set-up, others want a bit more work on the scenario; but these rules with these scenarios, or a tabletop teaser, or a command challenge, just work well.

Tony S – agreed, his distillation of scenarios is superb.  And  Neil Thomas’ rules are a tiny bit under-written for my taste too (hence the modifications I make), although I appreciate the elegant simplicity of the basic mechanics.  I play a fair bit of DBA also, but I find it very easy to chin off the ‘competition balanced’ overlay to use them as a really good set of scenario-driven rules.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.