Home Forums WWII New 1/700 WW2 Naval Project

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2022/09/new-1700-ww2-naval-project.html

Sometimes madness strikes in the strangest of ways and I certainly hadn’t planned a foray into a scale and period that needs a huge warehouse to play but Yarkshire Gamer has never been known for the smaller things in gaming.

I’ve done a blog post (link above) to discuss the plans for the Project and show off the first completed ship I’ve done. I think this is one of the best pieces I’ve done in a long time, possibly ever.

Why not join me on this latest journey.

Regards Ken
    The Yarkshire Gamer

Http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Participant

So, will this be the Pratt ballroom approach to naval wargaming?  Impressive!  WWI still in abeyance then.  We will look forward to learning of the WWII exploits;High Noon in Narvik?

www.olivercromwell.org; www.battlefieldstrust.com
    6mm wargames group: [email protected]; 2mm wargames group: [email protected]

Participant

So, will this be the Pratt ballroom approach to naval wargaming? Impressive! WWI still in abeyance then. We will look forward to learning of the WWII exploits;High Noon in Narvik?

Cheers, it will be a rescaling of my current WW2 rules, will work out ranges etc with available space but my club have an old cinema as a meeting place so there is room.

My WW1 stuff is complete, I’ve got every Capital Ship and a good proportion of everything the Germans and British built, 350 plus ships so I’m calling that finished.

Narvik is definitely on the cards but I’m building Denmark Straight first

Regards Ken

The Yarkshire Gamer

Participant

Great work there, I would be proud to have done that Ken.

Participant

My WW1 stuff is complete, I’ve got every Capital Ship and a good proportion of everything the Germans and British built, 350 plus ships so I’m calling that finished.

All in 1/700?  That’s staggering!

But shame on you – calling it finished without nary a decent Austro-Hungarian hull painted?  😉

Participant

All in 1/700? That’s staggering! But shame on you – calling it finished without nary a decent Austro-Hungarian hull painted? 😉

God no, the WW1 stuff is in 1/2400 !

Regards Ken

The Yarkshire Gamer

Participant

All in 1/700? That’s staggering! But shame on you – calling it finished without nary a decent Austro-Hungarian hull painted? 😉

God no, the WW1 stuff is in 1/2400 ! Regards Ken The Yarkshire Gamer

Whew!  I was beginning to wonder how mad you were.

More seriously, I forgot to mention how much I liked your ships in your original post.  You should be deservedly proud of those.  One imagines you used a wet palette and a lot of contrast paints to achieve that?  😉

Participant

God no, the WW1 stuff is in 1/2400 ! Regards Ken The Yarkshire Gamer

Whew! I was beginning to wonder how mad you were. More seriously, I forgot to mention how much I liked your ships in your original post. You should be deservedly proud of those. One imagines you used a wet palette and a lot of contrast paints to achieve that? 😉

I can confirm no wet palettes were injured in the making of this ship 😆

Regards Ken

The Yarkshire Gamer

Participant

We have seen the Denmark Strait in the 1/3000 campaign:

http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2018/04/2018-ww2-naval-campaign-game-1-breakout.html

but wth different ships.  Getting evrything in the frame for the pictures  should prove challenging.

http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/search/label/1%2F3000%20WW2%20Naval

I always find the AARs inspiring.

Meanwhile, the High Seas Fleet swings at anchor!

http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/search/label/1%2F2400%20WW1%20Naval?updated-max=2019-06-12T09:37:00-07:00&max-results=20&start=4&by-date=false

Participant

I can confirm no wet palettes were injured in the making of this ship 

I showed my wife the latest pictures of the destroyers on your website; she was as impressed as I have been.  Her query: how long does it take to do a complete ship from first brush stroke to last?

Participant

I can confirm no wet palettes were injured in the making of this ship I showed my wife the latest pictures of the destroyers on your website; she was as impressed as I have been. Her query: how long does it take to do a complete ship from first brush stroke to last?

Many thanks.

It’s quite hard to say as many parts of the process are simply waiting for things to dry. For a Destroyer I would guess.

I build the model in sections first, maybe a couple of hours

Make the base with Polyfilla 20 mins, leave overnight to dry

Paint and detail the base an hour

Prime the parts of the model, 20 minutes, leave to dry overnight

Paint the ship, 2 or 3 hours

Assembly of the painted parts of the ship 30 mins

Weathering an hour

Final detailing, sea foam etc an hour

So looking at that about 9 hours but with drying time the quickest I could do one would be a couple of days. One way of speeding things up is building multiple models at a time.

Regards Ken

The Yarkshire Gamer

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.